This team quit on this season/who needs to go (ROSTER ONLY)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CatoTheElder, Dec 28, 2008.

1. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Woody Johnson and
    Bryant Johnson
    Kobe Bryant
    Kobe Jones
    Roy Jones, Jr
    Roy Rogers
    Kenny Rogers
    Kenny Lofton
    Curtis Lofton
    Curtis Martin

2. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting we cut him. He has something like 21-mil guaranteed from what I gather, so yeah, cutting him would be impossible and a terrible move regardless.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

really??? REALLY????

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So then how else would we get rid of him? How many teams are going to want to trade for a 32 year old guard with 4 years left on a contract that still has over $16 mil guaranteed, an average of $8 mil per year, and just gave up 7 sacks? Outside of that slim possibility the only other way I see it happening is with a gun, a bottle of vodka, some sleeping pills and a one way ticket to Cuba.

There's also the fact that we would then have to replace one of the best run-blockers on the o-line.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Ainge, Eric
    Barrett, David
    Coleman, Drew
    DeVito, Mike
    Hunter, Wayne
    Ihedigbo, James
    Murrell, Marques
    Herron, Noah
    Brown, Kareem
    Mason, Marcus
    Baker, Chris
    Bowens, David

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Are we actually talking about replacing D'Brick????

Thats a good discussion. We have pro bowlers all over the team. The only place left if Left Tackle. right?

7. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

and Steve Martin[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SaKYFR6ms[/YOUTUBE]

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Does anyone know what Favre's cap number is for next season. People keep saying that its $13mil but I thought that was his number for the next two, no way they could be paying him that much for one year.

9. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

smith is awful! elam is a good backup type. he shouldn't have been starting. not really his fault.

10. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

AINGE? are you on dust?
    and Chris baker?

seriously.

every other person on the list i agree with but why would you diminish an already light QB position and take away a solid tight end?

11. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

1. Let's cut the "All the Whinny Fans" !!!

12. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

If Bowens is cheaper than Barton, then I say keep him IF we can get Bart Scott. This team lacks quality depth pretty much everywhere. We saw Harris go down last year, so it'd be wise to keep a vet like Bowens who's versatile enough to play a couple of positions.

Same goes for Elam. Keep him as a backup for depth with no chance of starting. Smith? Jesus Christ, that guy is trash and his "football IQ" and "character" that Mangini was enamored with did absolutely nothing for this D. In fact, Smith managed to do more harm than good.

Consensus says Barrett is a goner. Ty Law too.

I get the feeling we'll be signing some depth FA's on the DL, as well as draft DL, so keep Mosely and Coleman as backups, but get rid of Pouha and probably DeVito too.

13. - BT: I think it's time to move on....OLB is very important in Ryan's scheme. Let's give Gholston his shot and additionally bring in someone w/ elite speed for the position

-Barret: Time to get rid of his high price tag. How he's survived this long I dont know

- Favre: It's flat out been beat into the ground

- Coles: Lets give Stuckey or Smith a chance to really step up. Coles is a locker room and media cancer

- Barton: We need to add more speed,coverage and pass rush ability to this spot

-Poteat: The New England connection should be dead forever.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We could cut a bunch of them if Favre doesn't come back, I bet. :wink:

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yep, forgot about Poteat, he should go, as he's lost a step.

Coles is a pickle because either way, we pay him. If we demote him, he most likely spreads his cancer, if we cut him, we'll be rid of him but eat the money. If we're not going to use him or he won't be as effective, then I say cut him, on the contingency that we somehow get a #1 to pair up with Cotch, allowing Stuckey to play the slot, with Clowney getting some opportunities to make big plays. Brad Smith is worth keeping because of his versatility, playmaking, and ST skills. Henry and Wright? I dont know...

Thomas should go but we don't have many other options especially with Gholston's uncertainty. We want to believe Ryan (and possibly Pettine) can turn him into the beast we expect, so maybe we can see them elevate Thomas' play too. I guess I'm down for giving Thomas ONE MORE chance under Ryan.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but the other aspect to your "if" is how should we rank the importance of making a move if one becomes available. In other words even under such circumstances how does replacing Faneca rank in importance compared to other possible roster moves? I think not very highly.

Two of the most important roster positions in need of change are in the secondary. I was high on Lowery when the season started, and I am not saying I would cut him, but the Jets need upgrades opposite both Revis and Rhodes.

The DL also needs help. Ellis imo is not done yet, but Coleman did not impress, and the bench rotation was weak.

B. Thomas is a frequent whipping boy here, and I won't argue against that. I just am not sure he's quite as bad as all that. The LB's as a group are average at best. Harris is the only really good player. Barton was pretty good, but he's getting old. Help at LB would be another thing I would place in importance higher than getting rid of Faneca.

Help at wideout is another move much higher in importance, as well. In fact on the offensive side of the roster wideout is a crying need.

Even on the OL I think the right side was more of a problem than Faneca. Woody was better than Clement, but he didn't impress. Moore just strikes me as a typical average to mediocre player. Meh.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

If you look at my list, I put Faneca at the bottom with the condition that we find a replacement. I'm aware that it moving him isn't nearly important as other changes and that it would very difficult to do considering his prestige and contract arrangements, but I'd like our organization to be proactive for a change and at least try to find a younger guard.