This is from NFL Radio regarding a Schaub/Abe trade possibility.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MyFavoriteMartian28

IMO - they include a 3rd and we add the 4th from Herm and its a done deal:

Matt Shaub, #17 overall, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder

for

Abe, #4 overall, 4th rounder

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I would rather just keep Abe. I am not willing to trade the #4 unless it is for a windfall of picks.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Welcome to the site FalconFan. We always like good fans of other teams coming over and sharing their intelligent views on things regarding their team and ours.

That being said, I don't think we do this deal and stay at 4. Your team's asking price is too high for an unproven commodity as compared to a 3 time pro bowler AND a high 1st rounder as well.

Perhaps Bradway would consider this but Tangini hopefully will just file this one away in the Science Fiction section.. :lol:

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Who is Matt SChaub...He hasn't done a darn thing in the NFL....
    Thank god you're justa fan & not work'n in the Jets' front office

5. Run_N_gun10

Thanks....Its nice to read comments that make reality football sense...:beer:

6. Run_N_gun10

:beer: :jets: :breakdance:

Buddy.......You said it all...:up:

7. curtisstaysforever28

he's proved himself to be starter material.

but giviing up the 4th pick is alittle much. i dont really care who our qb is next season, as long as its leinart, young, shaub, and brooks as a last hope.

but really what we need(besides the qb) is some wrs another rb, and a corner back

8. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

what we really need is an offensive line

9. curtisstaysforever28

so if we were to get this deal done, we just need to use the picks and draft players of those positions. but the jets front office isnt stupid, they know how to negociate. so w/e we do, i bet it'll work out, even if we dont get the best posible deal for abe. and also, we have all the time in the world to trade abe away, we can even do it on draft day, and once he lowers his asking price, denver + others will be back in the mix. so if we dont get this deal wiht atlanta, i'm not worried

10. curtisstaysforever28

o ya, iwas on the brick banwagon so much i thought we already had him

11. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

I don't like this deal...You would be getting arguably the best pass rusher in the league plus move up in the draft from 15-4. And we would get a QB who's had only a brief flash of goodness in return. That to me is not in our best interest. There are several teams we could deal with. Atlanta is only one option for us..I think Schaub could be a pretty good QB, but thats based on what I think, not what I know? Hes not done enough in this league to warrant that kind of respect IMO. Abe is a pro bowler! I know there is the injury thing with him, but even the years he was hurt he still puts up better numbers then most DE's in the NFL. With Abe you know you have a dominate speed rusher who has shown hes one of the best at what he does. The Jets would be crazy to slide that far down the draft, lose a pro bowl DE, for an unproven QB who could end up being a flop. Thats not a risk I would be willing to take with other options available....

12. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

What happens if pennington comes back healthy and ready to start?

Lets say we acquire shaub who is only 24 years old and will be a free agent next year. Lets then assume that chad has a solid year playing all 16 games and throwing for about 21 tds and 14 ints. We are then essentially left with a back up qb in shaub whom we traded first round talent for.

Imo this is why im scared to invest so much in a backup veteran qb. One variable that can throw a huge wrench into our plans is if chad comes back healthy and we are stuck with shaub who would then probably leave us the following year, while abe is racking up 15 sacks for the falcons on his way to his 4th probowl. Trading abe for a player who is not guaranteed to contribute now or in the future is absolutely not what i am looking for. If we draft a qb he would at least be 21-22 years old and would be signed until chad is 31-32 whereas shaub could possibly leave us the followign season.

Discuss.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

One thing will put that to rest.... Pennington is done

14. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Going back a re reading your post I noticed you had us getting your second round pick as well. Sorry didnt see that... That deal if i'm the Jets, I might consider. With so many holes to fill we could use the player and the second round pick and slide down a few slots.... I might do that.....

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

That's a lot like I am starting to think. We go with what we have. Draft a Qb somewhere; does not necessarily have to be in the first round. Whoever it is learns for a year. 2007 is his shot, depending. Chad is a variable. We will not know our answer until the regular season.

16. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

Exactly! Were going to suck any way, why not suck with a guy wholl eventually get hurt or arookie who could use the playing time to learn the ropes.

17. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

you know what is funny about these disgusting trade rumors between the falcons and the jets, my first reaction is this is just plain stupid and its not true, These are the most lopsided trades ever and I dont even think atlanta would be dumb enough to offer them,BUT then my stomach begins to turn a little and I think to myself well we are the Jets, obviously no other team in the NFL would do one of these trades the falcons are offering but I get worried because of our past horrible Off season moves, and I get a little worried inside that is it actually possible that we are this stupid. I mean I would just tell the falcons no thank you and goodbye after hearing these offeres(if they are even true).