Thibodeaux vs. Walker vs. Johnson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Mar 17, 2022.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I really hope the pick at #4 is is a pass rusher. I had preferred Thibodeaux through the entire process (and still do) but if he is gone, or the Jets don't want him, I really hope they pick Jermaine Johnson. He looks like he would be a perfect piece for this Robert Saleh defense. I get people wanting him at #10 instead of #4, but I would be pretty upset to go with CB or WR or OL at #4 and then Thibodeaux and Johnson are gone at #10 when the Jets pick. To me, it is the #1 position of need for this team, just due to Saleh's scheme.

Poeman and joelip like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s his first step that pops. Very Von Miller esq. KT comes off the snap incredibly quick. OT need to be very athletic to get a hand on him. I wish his bend was as good as his first step.

3. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

100%! Johnson isn't quite as athletic as KT, but he seems to have more pass rush moves:

Why wouldn't the Jets want a pass rusher who can do these things???

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Thibs and It's not even close for me. Amazing technique, clearly studies and works hard at his craft. Extremely fast off the ball, decent bend, Is a flyer to go along with the abundance of setups he has In his arsenal. Very athletic.

Yeah. Thibs all day.

JJ and Walker both scare the fuck out of me.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. Johnson has things to work on, like adding more moves, developing his plan of attack. Blewitt points out that Johnson sometimes just wings it and doesn't really have a plan of attack. He also needs some counter moves. I think he's the best prospect and the most NFL ready. Johnson is also very good at setting the edge and vs the run.

Walker is the best athlete, but he scares me as just being an athlete since he doesn't have that much experience or production as a pass rusher, and his only move is the bull rush. He's also a bit of a clone of JFM, and imo we don't need another player like that. He could develop into the best edge in the class, but how long would that take? A year? Two years? He's too light to play inside in the NFL. I hope the Jets aren't seriously considering him.

He isn't ranked as high as the others, but I think Arnold Ebiketie has a chance to wind up the best pass rusher in the draft class or at least one of the 2-3 best. He has an elite burst off the LOS, has loose hips and ankles, and has the best natural lean and is fast. His only real weakness is vs. the run. I think with increased strength, perhaps a few more pounds, and coaching that could be fixed. I wouldn't be upset if the Jets traded down from #10 and took him as long as they took their WR at #4.

Most of all, I just hope that they pick the right Edge.

6. NCJetsfan

Exactly. If he's not much of a pass rusher, he's not going to stay on the field at Edge because he's good vs the run, and he's too light to play inside. He'd have to put 15-20 pounds on to move inside.

7. NCJetsfan

@WW85 You know that I respect you greatly, and I've been thinking more and more about the Edge we need, and have done some futher study and reflection, and you have convinced me. JJ is the Edge I want.

This short clip from Douzable sealed the deal:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The more i see and read on Johnson, the more I’m convinced he’s the pass rusher to get.

Walker and KT have a lot of boom bust to them.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Walker scares me more than JJ. When I see videos on JJ the one thing that stands out are his hands, he has really good technique, never really allows the offensive linemen to get their hands on him.

KT does not do as great a job of swiping offensive linemen hands off him.

JJ also did a great job against Ekwonu who is considered a top 5 pick, that’s pretty solid work.

11. IIMeanDeanII

KT has incredible technique. With an assortment of pass rushing moves. He's very good at hand fighting, countering, set ups, and leverage In the pass rush game. There is nothing that JJ does better. IMO

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would love it if KT was drafted by Jets, but I wouldn’t be upset if the grabbed JJ either.

Walker on the other hand makes me nervous.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I was extremely impressed with Thib's pro day. What an athlete, lightning fast feet, quick burst and looked solid. I just believe JJ is a better all around more productive player and is much better vs the run. If we take Thibs, I will be disappointed we lost out on JJ. I real want Sauce, but if we don't take the JJ or Thibs at # 4, we will be waiting till Rd 2 for an edge, because both won't make it to #10 and Sauce would be gone too.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

JJ is better against the run.

Red Menace and BacktoQueens like this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He’s got a better motor and work ethic imo also.
    Being better against the run just shows the toughness in mindset. KT has question marks there.

16. NCJetsfan

If the unthinkable happens and we miss out on JJ, Thibs, and Hutch, which Edge would you want the Jets to take in the 2nd? If he makes it to the 2nd I want Ebiketie. He needs work vs the run, but has a great burst off the LOS, is fast, has great bend/flexibility, and I think can be one of the top 2-3 Edges in this draft class.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Preaching to the choir, my friend!!!

Red Menace and BacktoQueens like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

I disagree with this as well.

Perhaps, better discipline? Maybe.

As far as who Is actually better, I have seen KT on many occasions be gap disciplined, disruptive, and set the edge perfectly. This isn't something that is overly concerning to me, he'll need to learn to be more disciplined, for sure.

Better though? I don't see It. KT Is really good all the way around.

JJ has far more flaws In his game that I've seen and he Isn't as good as KT In several aspects of each of their abilities.

I know a few on this board see JJ as being worthy of the 4 spot. I think he Is closer to being a second rounder than a first rounder.

We shall see.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I don't see the "more flaws" you're are speaking about.

I never said KT is not talented, he's better athletically than JJ, no question. Against the run JJ is more aggressive and talented.

Statistically, compare both players.

I don't think KT is worth the 4th pick, if he falls to # 10, I'm fine with choice. To say JJ isn't worthy of a pick near the top of Rd 1 , IMO, is shortsighted.

Both players will be top 10 picks.

I really want Sauce at # 4.

KingRoach likes this.
  20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

IMO, JJ is clearly better statistically with his FSU stats, his play at Georgia isn't a fair comparison.

KingRoach likes this.