They're letting the season slip away....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 13, 2022.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yeah, no shit.

Being okay with Zach’s poor play and learning while playing is fine until he started costing us games. Nobody said it was okay staying the worst QB in the league. Eventually it cost them games and the change was made.

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

OK. Well your post definitely demonstrates the difference between you and I. I'm NOT , nor will I ever be, happy because the Jets are a .500 team....

3. NYJFOREVER

Let’s tank every year until you have a Super Bowl caliber roster.

Oh wait, you can’t fucking tank if you’re building a Super Bowl caliber roster. The switch doesn’t just flip on after picking in the top 5 a bunch of times. If you’re picking top 5 it’s because your roster fucking sucks. Turn your brain on.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't agree the offense is futile. It has improved dramatically since White took over. He has directed the O to move more consistently forward with the ball as opposed to the constant 3 and outs with Wilson. Yes, the offense has had trouble scoring from the RZ in the last two games, but those two teams were top shelf with good D's. Finishing drives against the top teams requires experience and I think the Jets have the weapons and talent to get it done in time. This is not an endorsement of White as the Jets future FQ but he has clearly made better use of the O talent we have than his predecessor.

Jets79 and PJ4Ever like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the switch is not up to code

[​IMG]

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I feel both ways.

Happy we have had meaningful games this season, including late season.

Concerned that we are blowing what was a great chance to make the playoffs.

The main point I agree with is we have to stop losing the turnover battle, and cut down on the mental mistakes. Also, the oline isn't holding up well enough to sustain drives that easily.

If we miss the playoff the good will still outweigh the bad. But if NE is the team that knocks us out it will be frustrating. At the very least, I'll take one and done if it means NE is just done after week 18.

NYJ1970, Jets79, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

After what we've put up with over the past 12 years, I'll take that for now. We've got to start somewhere.

What? You think we should go from possibly the worst team in the NFL to juggernaut overnight?

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

@NYJ1970 - While you identify some problem areas, I wouldn't say Saleh & Co are "letting the season slip away". What exactly can they do? Not a whole lot really. At this point the personnel are the personnel, there's no "hero" riding over the hill to save them. What they can do and must do is figure out how to make better use of that personnel, including changing some of their schemes and play calling. OTOH, the players have to step up and execute and they have some problems doing that - in large part because many are young, but also because we've played some really good teams. And it's not going to get any easier.

I know it's frustrating to get so close to a goal you've been chasing for decades and then to fall short, but most people never thought we'd get even this close this year. That's not Vegas talking, that's most of the regular fans on this forum (myself included). It's gut wrenching to watch with renewed hope only to see that hope unfulfilled, but it's been years since any of us had even that past Opening Day.

For me, I believe Douglas, Saleh & Co have the right blueprint, and we're clearly headed in the right direction. Whatever happens this season, I'm confident they'll learn from it and make the needed improvements going forward. In the meantime, I'm glad I still have something to root for in December, and it's not a fluke, it's repeatable, unlike the "Fitzmagic" season which I knew was a mirage.

NYJ1970, Jets81, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

The injuries to Becton and AVT are starting to rear their ugly little heads.

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't look at it as the season is slipping away at all. They were absolutely shit last year. The reality is they were never going from crap to Super Bowl contender overnight. I hope they make the playoffs but if they don't it was still a good year. They improved a lot and have a bright future going forward.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well shit, you're SO much better than me. My apologies.

Freddy Mondo and ukjetsfan like this.
  12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The point is, when you have the opportunity, take it. The Jets haven't. Some of it is on the players, but to me, the CS, especially MLF, deserve credit for the last 3 losses. Briefly, why is Berrios getting meaningful snaps in critical situations on O? Why are there no protection adjustments being made in-game, when MW is being mangled? Why is MW being reinserted in a game, after being injured, WITHOUT making any adjustments? Why is play-calling so predictable? Why is JR deactivated (for Carter), for the Bills game, when JR showed he can run up the middle against the Bills? Why Carter up the middle? Why RPOs, with a QB that doesn't run? And lastly, when a scheme isn't working in the redzone, or players are having problems executing said scheme in the redzone, why not change it?
    Yes, at the beginning of the season, we all would've taken meaningful games in December. But the reality is, the Jets were 7-4, & let winnable games pass thru their fingers. And all we hear about is how upbeat the team is, because MW is a warrior, or they like him, or other extraneous nonsense. They lost 2 very important winnable games. And the team should be angry, not upbeat. And that's on the CS for letting the team focus on the Mr Congeniality award, rather than getting to the playoffs, & winning. I'm hearing too much moral victory crap from coaches, players, & fans.

#32 burf, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

First of all, I do not appreciate seeing the constant name calling and stupid personal petty BS that I read here. We are all Jet fans. We all want to win desperately. We are all passionate about our team. We all hate losing. Why talk to each other that way, what does it solve? Just because another member has a different opinion than yours? Would be a pretty boring place if we all ahd the same opinions, no? Speaking for myself, it has gotten so bad that I can no longer watch Jet games because I can no longer bear losing. I have been going out Sundays to avoid watching, getting frustrated and depressed AF. I watch the replays if we win, when we lose, I pay no mind. Not because I don't care, but because I am 60 years oldl following this team since the 1970's and as I said, I cannot bear losing anymore. This team has ripped my guts out of me over 50 years and I cannot take it anymore. Having said that, even when we have won games this season, I had no confidence in the CS, QB, OL, and defense. They won in spite of the coaching staff most times. They got lucky in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. The defense still has huge trouble(s) getting off of the field on 3rd down, and especially turning opponents over while the opponents turn us over at least 2 times every game. The offense is another story. Our OC is terrible, QB is lacking and that is why we will not go anywhere this season (or the forseeable future until this is fixed) and now, after 5-2 and 7-4, sit in last place in the AFCE where we have taken up permament residence. This team has more speed and skill on O than it has had in decades, yet they still score less than 20 points in most games. The NE games drove me berserk because it is same old same - old and showed we are not a big time team. How you lose twice to that team and call yourself a contender is laughable. Anyway, as I have said forever, I do not want to hear how the NY Jets are a good football team, I want to see it. Show me on thew field so I can stay home Sundays and watch my team win.

Are we a good football team in reality?
    Not yet.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The gigantic blocks of text is really becoming the next pandemic but your avatar is so perfect that I don't even care.

15. NYJFOREVER

The Jets don’t control their destiny per se, but if they win out they’re going to make the playoffs, no doubt it my mind.

3-1 over the next 4 also almost certainly gets them in.

GREG likes this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yes. I'd be fucking ecstatic if the Jets barely eked out a playoff wildcard and were one and done. It was the absolute upper limit of my preseason hopes and that was based on Zach looking like a FQB not a possible bust.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Just looking at this upcoming weekend's games I would say the Bills will probably beat the Dolphins on Saturday. Raiders and Pats is a tough one to call. I wouldn't be surprised if either team won. The Jets obviously have to beat Detroit. If the Jets, Bills, and Raiders win which is very doable then the Jets are in a good spot. The Chargers have the Titans at home. I would favor LAC in this one, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Titans won either.

18. NYJFOREVER

The Titans are going to ram the ball down LAC’s throat.

All the Jets need is to go into w18 with a 1 game gap separating them and the Fish and it’s win and in. I don’t think Miami is that good.

19. skoobz2001

skoobz2001 Active Member

Putting Mike White at the top of the list of “reasons” makes no sense when the porous OL play is number two. The OL is to blame for 60% of the issues on offence. Coaching is probably 38% and Mike’s play is 2%. That’s not to say that he’s for sure QB1 next year, but almost nothing of the last two losses falls on him.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

That's probably going to happen this weekend if the Jets handle business. There is a very good chance the Dolphins lose on Saturday.