The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We can agree to disagree.In fact i couldnt disagree more.Weve been meat & potatos w no innovation since Joe Walton.

Its conservative crap.

NCJetsfan and Sec124DieHard like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That's my main concern with hiring a college coach.
    They just don't have access and history with the same network of coaching options.

I doubt the staff gets assigned for him though.
    He will prob just have to interview and hire, which may lead to some trial and error.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

Remind me how well guys like Chip Kelly do?

It's not about finding the next fad. It's about preparing, adjusting and executing properly.

FJF likes this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

5. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Of course. Same way that Toilet hired Chan Gailey and Kacy Rogers. He knew Kacy well and hired him (and he was horrible). Todd only knew Chan from league circles, never worked with him, and was put into an interview room with him. This is the same deal. Arranged marriages.

Also, I agree with what you said earlier. Long gone by are the days of the Lonesome Polecat, the Run and Shoot, the Wildcat, etc etc, and RPO is next. Defense always figures it out eventually.

6. Ok so one guy who had zero personality or ability to talk to professional athletes is the final nailin the coffin?

Remind me how well Herm,Mangini,Rex & Bowles did? Everyone of them leaned on ball control & defense.The loose translation is run the ball,avoid turnovers & try to play perfect ball for 4 Qtrs. It hasnt worked here & it will likely work less & less moving forward. Its about prioritizing SCORING & capitalizing on opportunities..not prioritizing running the ball & resting the defense

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

If you think Rhule needs to come with a good staff, you must really think KK and Monken will rely heavy on their staffs.

They are less experienced and have zero background on defense or specials.
    They will need a ton of help to succeed as a HC imo.

8. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

All 3 of the guys you mention are going to need a lot of help....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I see Monken and Rhule being on the exact same playing field, and I'd love to have either of them.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

Last I checked, Rex did quite well and never had a QB worth a shite.
    We have a QB now.
    Mangini learned from Belichick, who cut his teeth on ball control, defense and specials.

Offensive fads are a dime a dozen, and never sustain in the long term.
    You need to play well on all sides of the ball to succeed, and play complimentary football.

That doesn't necessarily mean conservative though.
    My problem with Bowles was not that he was a former DC, but he was WAY too conservative and that doesn't win games.
    He also didn't adjust well enough, or motivate his players, which were major problems.

So me may actually agree on several points at least, but are saying it differently.

Noam likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

I'm interested in both, but I do think staffing will be critical for success.
    We may have a little trial and error before they get the staffs right.

12. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Ya know... there is quite a bit of a middle ground between ground and pound ball control and Chip Kelly. He is an outlier in philosophy and not the norm

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gase would be a great choice. He knows how to beat the Jets and that is pretty much it. So he can continue to do that but every Sunday from now on. :confused:o_O

TonyFtLaud, GQMartin, Noam and 2 others like this.
  14. So im not saying ball control & defense arent important.What im saying is it shouldnt be the fixated formula for winning every game. Thats what weve seen w all these guys. Theres a tendency to crawl into their shells offensively the second the passing game has a TO filled week, theres a tendency to over emphasize the running game & the style is not condusive to coming back from a defecit larger than a score.

Id like to see the team move away from that model.Doesnt mean it has to be an offensive wiz kid..it just means somebody w alittle more of a scorer’s mentality w an emphasis on situational football

15. BacktoQueens

The poster commented that when he heard Rhule believes in ball control and defense, he got nauseous.
    Ball control and defense is just fundamental football.
    If a HC didn't believe in that, I'd be extremely concerned.
    Kelly was the only coach I could think of who just did not seem to emphasize it, but I'm sure other offensive fad coaches could be cited instead.

jetsclaps likes this.
  16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

All coaches have flaws. I understand your concerns with retreads, but the young up and comers have flaws too, they just haven't been discovered yet. The things that retreads offer are: 1) experience - with the older ones, they've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. They don't have to learn how to be a HC on the job, which is huge. A lot of time is wasted and mistakes made by first-time HCs as they try to figure things out, and they fail at just as high a rate (if not higher) than retreads. 2) contacts in the NFL, and the ability to put together a quality CS much, much easier than a new up and comer from the collegiate ranks who has no NFL experience.

Being a long-time Jets fan you know that we've only had 3 experienced HCs in our entire history, and with two of those, we had our most successful years, won our only SB, and came closest to getting to another. Most of our HCs have been novices who had to learn on the job, and every single one of them wound up sucking and being a failure. One of the definitions of insanity is to keep doing things the same and expect a different outcome. How many more first-time HCs must we hire and have fail, before we wise up and hire another experienced HC?

18. BacktoQueens

I totally agree on situational football, adjustments, and playing aggressive rather than conservative.
    That's primarily where Bowles failed.

But I also believe defense and controlling the clock (not necessarily all with running) is still what ultimately wins games.
    Teams that aren't good at that, tend to get figured out, and usually don't fare well in the postseason.

19. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

I hear where you are coming from... and yes i think anyone would agree ball control and defense are key to winning, but i dont know if i want my team to have that as its mission statement so to speak. “Ball Control” is what i hear typically from undermanned teams needing it to even the playing field. The Titans immediately come to mind, and the Ravens with Jackson. If you look at the teams who have been successful as of late i dont associate any of them with ball control. They basically score a bunch of points and/or just want the ball in their hands last with their FQB in position to win it.
    What gets overlooked alot is that a great offense often makes a good to very good defense. Get a lead, turn oponent 1 dimensional. Mannings Colts mastered that. Pats in more recent years as well.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Where did you read that? Please post a link so I and others can read it. If that is truly his philosophy, then I agree with you, and have no desires to hire him. It would be just like Chris Johnson to hire Rhule if that is the case. We need to move away from that type of philosophy immediately.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.