The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Rhule and Kingsbury shouldn't even be in consideration. They are college coaches with little to no NFL experience which history shows rarely if ever translates.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Kingsbury ok, but saying Rhule shouldn’t even be a consideration is irresponsible. He’s got experience on both sides of the ball, has experience on the field and is highly respected.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

This whole thing sucks... For me the way things have gone it should be McCarthy or bust.... Kingsbury would be in over his head, so would Ruhle, Caldwell sucks, Bienemy isn't ready..... I could go on and on

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Jim Caldwell played DB for the Iowa Hawkeyes, then coached entirely on the offensive side, as well as having HC experience.

Not saying he should be the guy--but he is one of the few candidates that have experience with both sides of the football.

5. BroadwayAaron

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like everyone is on complete opposite ends of the spectrum which really makes for a God awful day whenever it is they announce the new head coach.

JohnnyP123456 and NOVAJET like this.
  6. NOVAJET

I try not to be influenced by beat writers but he pretty much articulated how I feel about the situation and risk factor. It's a huge gamble to consider KK or Rhule
    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...cision?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

7. NOVAJET

I liked this post because you are right. We are a fan base divided for sure and half are going to be sick over this hire.

8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That’s fine...My point is that head coaching experience is not the end all be all for hiring a successful NFL coach. These retreads being floated around were fired for a reason, I’d rather give an up and comer a crack at it all things being equal

Todd Bowles was basically the defensive version of Frank Reich and he was a disaster...there is no exact science

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think Kingsbury has more disaster potential than Rhule. He really is more of an OC than a HC at this point. It’s a huge question mark whether or not he’ll be able to take charge of an entire NFL team instead of just calling a creative offense.

Rhule has glowing reviews as a leader from everyone who’s been around him and I think he’s much safer in that regard.

10. BroadwayAaron

Yep. They are in two completely different categories to me. I don’t buy Kingsbury at all as a head coach but Rhule’s resume makes him a legit candidate.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NOVAJET

I guess what it really boils down to is who is Rhule bringing in to be OC and DC. If he comes with a proven NFL OC or DC and he can lead the team I'm fine with it.

12. I was fine w Rhule till i read he believes in ball control & defense. Thats basically been the overriding philosophy since Woody bought the team.

Enough trying to win w defense & avoiding aggressive offense

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Who else is left on the schedule of interviews after Monken today? Have to believe there's a decision by Friday.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I want Rhule, Monken or Kliff.

I think.

15. BroadwayAaron

No one publicly scheduled. I think we’ll see something happen tonight or tomorrow latest. Unless we are stupid and we wait for McCarthy to interview with Cleveland. Just move on without him, he’s not the best candidate anyway.

16. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

If Rhule is the guy, I have a feeling his staff is getting placed around him. Good or bad, that's most likely what is going to happen. Mac will set him up with a bunch of guys that he knows.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

And that would be an issue.

18. BroadwayAaron

Why is that likely? There's no inclination whatsoever that Macc is choosing coordinators. Why would anyone accept a head coaching job in which they don't get to choose their staff? Makes no sense at all.

Ralebird, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  19. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Bowles was a good DC while in Arizona...BUT.. what has he done the last 4 years with the Jets defense for so many people to have the opinion of ‘he deserves a DC job’. After watching the shitshow that was the Jets D the last few years I’d be much more inclined to believe Bowels’ success in Arizona had more to do with the players he had there and less to do with him.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  20. NOVAJET

An
    Any HC candidate will have atleast a semblance of a clue who is OC and DC are going to be. That's probably going to be a big reason why one gets hired I imagine..

TonyFtLaud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.