The Official Hard Knocks Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hennessy2710, Aug 7, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I never realized Woody Johnson was around the players this much. His conversation with Westhoff was pretty funny, Mike does not give a shit. Lol

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Defense:
    DL 6 Gholston, Jenkins, Ellis, DeVito, Pouha, OPEN
    OLB 4 Pace, Thomas, Taylor, Westerman
    ILB 4 (4/2) Thomas, Harris, Cummings, OPEN
    DS 4 Leonard, Pool, Smith, Ihedigbo
    DC 5 Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Coleman, Lowery

Offense

WR 5/4 (Taylor.Clowney. Allison) Edwards, Cotchery, (Holmes), Coles, Smith
    OL 8 Brick, Ducasse, Slauson, Mangold, Moore, Woody, Turner, Hunter
    QB 3 Clemens, Brunell, Clemens
    RB 5 LT, Greene, McKnight, Richardson, Connor
    TE 4 Keller, Hartsock, Purdum (longsnapper), Mulligan?

I'm sure you meant Sanchez there. As far as WR goes, we can carry an extra body until Holmes comes back. I think that's why there's 3 guys listed in parentheses on the right, with one of them getting cut after week 4 if they can't contribute on teams.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

damn we're gonna cut Sanchez and Bart Scott?

4. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Good episode.

Rex "He can't play dead in a B movie"...

Westoff is a ruthless motherfucker...I like it.

"How many feet in a yard?"
    -"12?"
    -"That 100 yard run is a bitch"

5. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Blah. Long day.

6. ........

........ Trolls

No no. He clearly accounted for Bart Thomas. You're thinking of his maiden name.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Hate these new "THREAD" things, i never know what page the new shit is on.

Lets stop this madness.

8. 624

624 Banned

Okay there must have been something missing but on the FB Depth Chart section it had Jason Davis at the top...I paused it to double check.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that can't be right.

10. ........

........ Trolls

With an X next to his name indicating a likely cut.

11. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

i may be alone on this, but did shotty's boy look like he could be mangini's child?

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I say Matt Kroul and Lance Laury fill those last two spots.

I think if Mike Westhoff requests it, Larry Taylor will make the team ahead of Coles. Coles is obviously a superior receiver, but how often would he see the field?

While Holmes is suspended, I'd like to see a running back at 53. Woodhead, Washington or Davis.

BTW, very, very disappointed in how our UDFA defensive backs are playing. I thought there'd be some solid competition there.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Finally getting a chance to watch this. Westhoff is a GOD.

"Yea, take your time. Fuck around a little bit more."

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I feel really bad Davis right now. He's a good FB, but he wound up as the third FB on the depth chart.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

So we have good rookies at positions that we already have good players at and we have bad rookies at positions we need players at?

wth haha

16. ........

........ Trolls

He'll get picked up somewhere.

17. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

Where was The Beard segment?

18. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Vlad is fucking ugly.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

They have the depth chart analysis on ESPN:

ESPN BLOG

By Tim Graham
    Storylines for this week's episode of "Hard Knocks" focused on the New York Jets' fringe players, laying the groundwork for drama on final cutdown day in a couple weekends.

Most revealing from my perspective was the chance to eavesdrop on general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Rex Ryan discussing their roster numbers. On a dry-erase board, Tannenbaum tried to do the math and gave a glimpse of what the 53-man roster will look like, more or less.

Next to the team's official depth chart, Tannenbaum scrawled out the number of players they plan to keep at each position, with the caveat they can adjust for special teams.

Offense (25 players):

* Three quarterbacks
    * Five running backs
    * Five wide receivers (including Santonio Holmes)
    * Four tight ends
    * Eight offensive linemen

Defense (23 players):

* Six defensive linemen
    * Four outside linebackers
    * Four inside linebackers
    * Five cornerbacks (I think because I couldn't decipher the abbreviation)
    * Four safeties (I think for the same reason)

Add a kicker, punter and long-snapper, and that's 51 players, leaving two special-teams spots for everybody else to fight over.

The show suggested the bubble players were running back Danny Woodhead, fullback Jason Davis, receivers David Clowney and Larry Taylor, tight end Matthew Mulligan and linebacker Lance Laury.

Injuries, of course, can impact the numbers. The breakdown was done before defensive end Ropati Pitoitua suffered a season-ending torn Achilles tendon in Saturday's preseason game against the Carolina Panthers.

Pitoitua's injury was significant for Rodrique Wright, who had an "X" next to his name on the depth chart, suggesting the Jets planned to cut him.

"Hey, you going to make this [expletive] team?" Ryan says to Wright on the sideline after learning of Pitoitua's injury. "This kid just tore his [expletive] Achilles. Or do I need to pick somebody else up?"

"Hard Knocks" revealed others with an "X" next to his name or a "PS" to indicate practice squad. A slow and up-close pan of all the unmarked name plates helped determine who had been designated in the shot of Tannenbaum sketching out the roster.

These were the other "X" players still on the roster I could decipher thanks to the high-def on my big-screen plasma: quarterback Kellen Clemens, running back Chauncey Washington, center Robby Felix, guard Marlon Davis and tackles Dan Gay and Michael Turkovich. An "X" also appeared next to a blank spot at fullback, suggesting Jason Davis.

These were the "PS" players: defensive linemen Matthew Kroul, Ty Steinkuhler and Martin Tevaseu and safety Emanuel Cook.

Also notable about the depth chart, rookie Vladimir Ducasse was above Matt Slauson at left guard. Shonn Greene was on top of LaDainian Tomlinson.

Not a lot of surprises, but interesting nevertheless.

Yet based on Ryan's comments about his third-stringers late in the 9-3 victory over the Panthers, there's plenty of room to make an impression over the final couple weeks.

"Guys, we're dead with this group. We have replacements?" Ryan says into his headset to his defensive assistants in the press box. Ryan's voice gets angrier. "Do we have any replacements? Get me the No. Twos out there! I'm not going to lose this [expletive] game! Give me the [expletive] Twos out there. Finish the [expletive] job!

"We're leaving the Twos out there if we have to. Finish the game. I don't give two [expletive]. Some of those guys can't play dead in a B western."

Washington, for example, went from having an "X" next to his name to receiving a game ball for a jarring hit on punt coverage and strong running.

20. ........

........ Trolls

^ Uh...some of that's horseshit. Clemens ain't getting cut in favor of KOC, and Ducasse isn't above Slauson. The position meant little as Davis was up on top of the FBs.