The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I know, that was intentional :D
    Thanks
    yeah, if you do, make sure you check the FWC regulations before making plans if you actually want to keep one. (closed almost all year sans 3 weekends) last year it was 1 (and there was a NE'er) This year there were 3, so who knows next year. They weighed our fish at the ramp and took bio samples. We had the biggest fish of the day, est. 12 yrs old.
    Unfortunately my buddy may be selling his boat (pictured) :( so I'll be back inshore on the yak for awhile

another buddy of mine does inshore / nearshore charters. Mostly redfishing but he can find the snaps, when conditions allow, and just won the NEFL Cobia Tourney (top fish and aggregate):
    http://coastalfish.net/

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I caught a shark once.

It was a dogfish shark, but that still counts. That was the last time I fished, maybe 15 years ago. I found it to be kind of boring.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dogfish suck! They eat your bait, tear up your rig and give nothing in return. I'm not sure why we even throw them back in the water..

4. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

He was royally pissed off. Took much more effort to reel in than the calm old flukes. He seemed ok when he was thrown back though.

In college and high school we dissected them, sans poison spike, and they're pretty interesting. Freaky looking and not fun to catch, but interesting. They sense electricity through these small pores in their snout and use that to find prey in the sand.

FunFact: I'm pretty sure they're the only sharks that have a poisonous spike.

The flukes were nice though.

5. Cman68

last year I was on a boat where there were several newbies that didn't catch anything else but dogfish. They actually kept them for dinner.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

heading out into long island sound with my 15 year old daughter tomorrow. first excursion of the summer. reports over the past few days have been stellar with many keepers - fluke, weakfish, and sea bass heading the list.

7. Cman68

Pics.. Bring us Pics!! :)

8. Cman68

I will be on the OceanExplorer out of Belmar tomorrow morning for Fluke. Hopefully, there will be some SeaBass mixed in as well. This might be my one and only Fluke trip for 2014 as the size and bag limits make it almost impossible to get fair value for your boat fare on a "per fish" basis.

Let me explain: The Fare is $60 and the limit is 5 fish per person. That works out to $12 per fish IF you limit. The size limit was increased to 18" from 17.5" which means more throwbacks. If you only catch 4, it raises the cost to $15 per fish. 2 raises it to $30 and we're not even factoring in gas and tolls.

Basically, Wifey and I are bored and want to get out of the house. We could have gone for Ling/Cod or even those snapper blues that are running right now but we're gonna pit our skill against the Jersey inshore and hope we come out with at least 6 keepers or any combination of fish we can get. If not, it's gonna be a long ride home for yours truly... :)

Fish On!

9. Cman68

Not a bad day today. Caught a few keepers but a lot of short fish. By short I mean 17" fish that had to go back in the water. Oh well, you can't change what you can't change so fck it. Anyway, Going forward, I'm going after Ling/Cod, Seabass, Blues, Stripers if they're around and Tog (Blackfish).

Quick pic of me and wifey and the fruit of our labors..

Last fluke trip 2014.JPG

I really can't wait until the Big Blues and Stripers come back thru in Sept.

Fish On!! :D

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah I'm excited for the fall Striper run as well. I missed out on the Spring one. I'm going back bay fishing tomorrow for fluke. Wish me luck!

11. Cman68

Go get em!! Bucktails worked better today than bait draggin..

12. Cman68

Hard day at work off the Jersey Coast today. Blues were reluctant but I did manage to coax a few to bite. Jigs worked better than bait today and Red was the magic color.

Here's some pics!
    20140824_074620_resized.jpg
    20140824_141058_resized.jpg
    20140824_141149_resized.jpg
    20140824_074605_resized.jpg

In case anyone is curious, these are New Jersey Bluefish. I gotta tellya, they put up one helluva fight. The shore pics are from Belmar, NJ. Lovely town so if any of you find yourselves on the jersey shore one summer weekend, pay a visit to Belmar or Brielle and enjoy the ambiance.

Right now, I'm gonna sign off. I'm in a bit of pain as these fish don't know how to surrender. Nothing that some Makers Mark 46 can't take care of... :)

Until next time, Tight Lines Everybody!

#332 Cman68, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Anyone see this?

14. Cman68

We see sharks out on the boats every now and then. Heard there was a whale near one of the boats out of Belmar about 2 weeks ago. You never know what chum slicks will bring. Thank God I don't kayak cause I'd leave a shit trail all the way back to the beach! :)

15. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

The waves have been awesome this summer here on the South Shore, so I haven't been able to fish or dive as much. Got a couple sesh's in tho, nothing like ocean to table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. stinkyB

NICE! U take that shot of Sandy's?
    Nice fish, I bet those papillo were fun to catch...... using artificials?

We're finally getting some surf, but overall our summer has sucked ballz...... Inshore fishing has been on fire with the fall bait migration, but I havent gone in awhile. Been workin on the old truck on my days off lately, and surfin while we can. Some swell from Eduardo last week, but never got near as good as hoped... got a custom 6-2 CI rt before, but didnt ride it.
    Fish were everywhere though, felt like I was part of the food chain. Mullet everywhere, Spanish Mackerel bustin them up, the Mackerel gettin busted up by Tarpon & Sharks. If it was flat, I'd be stoked to have my kayak out there.

#336 stinkyB, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  17. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Sandy's pic is from a friend's GoPro. Best month of Sandy's in a long time. Big and clean.

And the 'omilu's were caught using new makata lure second time using worked great. Actually caught 2 more but threw 'em back.

Hope you get back out there soon brah! Winter is just around the corner, country gonna start firing here in a bit. Cheee!

18. stinkyB

Finally got to do some fishing last week....... caught some spanish macks off the beach on a little mirrolure topwater plug on my little spinner (8lb mono) then we headed inshore for some reds....
    That little spanish got frozen whole and hopefully will be trolled to catch a big wahoo this winter (Ono for our hawai'an friend ;) ) The big one was 24" at the fork.... solid fight on the light tackle. ate well last week

[​IMG]

HAYN likes this.
  19. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Dea you go cuz! Hanapa'a action. Hurricane Ana brought us plenty rain and surf, no fishing here. Brown water advisories island wide right now.

20. Cman68

Going SeaBassin in the morning. Weather looks great now that the Nor'easter has cleared out. Gorilla Bluefish are starting their feeding frenzies so in about a week or so when I'm on vacation, I'm gonna hit them hard. My BroNLaw and his wife are coming from Mo. to join in the fun. They're used to freshwater fishing so I'm gonna prepare them as best I can. We'll go SeaBassing first so they can get used to being out on the ocean. Second trip will be for the Gorillas. I'm gonna let them use my gear so I hope they don't let go of it... :)