The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

YC doesn't have a hot galley. Can't be offshore 4 days eating sandwiches everyday. This bucket list trip might get pushed into '26.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

it's still a month away..

3. stinkyB

You guys ever make your own fishing plugs? I've been overly focused on making my own big game casting plugs lately lol

4. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

I don’t make plugs. I make trolling rigs.

And yes I use wire for my Wahoo rigs. Have not caught one off NJ yet but it will happen. Catch a few down in Grand Cayman. They seem to like Marauders and rigged Ballyhoo. I have jigged for them there but seem metal leader shy. Them and Barra love to snap off any flouro or mono leader.

Fluking again tomorrow. Think we will be in Ambrose Channel. Got an invite for a Tuesday run to Little Italy try for some Bluefin Tuna.

Thankfully weather has improved.

Any of you guys want my pre season tix to the Saturday game? 2 seats and parking pass free.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

How far off is "Little Italy"? (Ive seen it referenced a bunch)

Btw, biggest hoo I've caught was on a rigged hoo (purple and black)... sickest "bite" Ive witnessed was a Yo-suri bonita in the propwash. That thing wanted it BAD. lol

Guys here are getting the BIG ones livebaiting (slow trolling) but that's when you're speciffically targeting them and know they're thick.... it's fun watching the rod twitch like crazy when the bluerunner knows he's about to get smoked. ;)

Had plans to go kingfishing this morning (and maybe luck into a sailfish) but my fishing buddy bailed on me last minute last night..... just as well, my knee is killing me this morning, and it's hot as fuk for slow trolling livebaits (esp without any shade on the boat)

6. GreenFan15J

We Fluke fished yesterday. 4 keeps for 60 fish. Sucked. We had to weigh em because we were in a tournament. Guy in front of us was weighing monsters he caught off Long Island. 5 Lars and one over 6.

Radio was full of guys barking about catching or not catching Bluefin at Little Italy. Fish taking everything Especially Ron Z jigged, trolling wide trackers.

Even heard some guy say he got a couple on Ron Z and balloons?

7. stinkyB

Unfortunately we lost several RonZ tails to stupid bluefish... dds up after awhile.

How far off is "Little Italy"?

8. Cman68

Headed out tomorrow just for the helluva it. (Prepaid coupon helps). Will be on the Miss Belmar for Blues. The real reason why I'm going is there were some Bonita caught. I need to get a few for strip/chunk baits later this month and for Pulley. Any tips would be appreciated.

9. stinkyB

Rip small shiny lures/jigs/feathers that resemble glass minnows, anchovies, etc....

they can be weird. Sometimes they'll eat anything (Ive even got em on soft inshore plastics) other times theyre everywhere and wont eat anything unless it "matches the hatch"

Cman68 likes this.
  10. stinkyB

Super flat up there today, hopefully you guys are slayin em...

11. Cman68

Loads of snapper blues caught. Almost 80% females. Won the pool with a 6lb blue. Shows you how slim the picking were. 1 Bonita caught. That's pretty much it.

12. GreenFan15J

Just back from an overnighter. Fished the Hendricks area. Went 3 for 10 on yellowfin. Caught on jig, chunk, and troll.

Lost fish due to spit hook, pesky blue shark, swing and misses.

Blue shark frayed a chunk line and cut off our Sword line. We were pissed so threw out a Blue fish on a shark rig with plans to hook the shark and smack him around. Then some big Tuna probably a Big Eye picked up the Blue fish and gave us some excitement before spitting the hook.

Boat-issue changed our plan took 5 hours to get home.

13. Cman68

Will be in Aruba for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Booked a charter for a 6hr reef fishing trip. Snapper and Grouper are the targets. Price was $600 US for 2 people so I'm taking my Grandson along for his first SW fishing trip ever. Not bringing any of my gear so I'm hoping I won't get worn out hand cranking! :)

abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  14. stinkyB

Bummer... my brother took his little boat 15 miles off Rockaway that day. Said there were bonita everywhere.. (but he didn't have the tackle as tuna was the goal). no luck there, but one boat hooked into a giant, fought for hours then lost him.

Tried live baiting em and nothing but sharks

15. GreenFan15J

I will be in Grand Cayman Thanksgiving. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can fish too.

Be nice to have a Wahoo for Thanksgiving!

stinkyB, abyzmul and Cman68 like this.
  16. stinkyB

only window for my boat was yesterday... and it was still kinda bumpy (mixed seas) so I stayed within 9 miles.

3/4 on small kings, then hooked a solid one for #4..... that magically became a giant fish (inside of a sharks belly). Chased and Fought that stupid thing for 45 min (on a tld 15 w/ 20lb mono. lol) before i told the kid to bump the drag to full and we finally broke him off

abyzmul likes this.
  17. stinkyB

I'm still sore...

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Change in plans for my Aruba trip. Will NOT be fishing reefs/wrecks as I was advised these are mostly for divers and are populated with small fish. I will be fishing for MAHI MAHI instead. I'm looking forward to the trip as this will be a new experience fishing for Dolphin. I'll be using boat gear as its just too much of a PITA to haul my gear to Aruba. #Can'tWait!

stinkyB likes this.
  19. stinkyB

Yeah, you mostly just be trolling for them unless you come across a weedline or some floating debris anyway...

Cman68 likes this.
  20. GreenFan15J

Our recipe for Mahi is to troll the fish pots. Put out Clark Spoons off the outriggers and drag them by a pot. If the fish come out and jump then we go back, hug the buoy, and throw handfuls of spearing or peanut bunker including a hook bait of course. Light weight bucktails work good too.

Load the box with chickens!

Gaffer Mahi I've had on double hook Ballyhoo rigs. They like to short bite so you need that second hook.

Cman68 likes this.