The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Headed out on Thursday for a 2.5 day Southern Deep run. Probably for Rosies and Tiles again. Last trip at night some folks went shark fishing and found one. It didn't get boated so I guess it doesn't count. Wifey doesn't know it yet, but I'll be getting a smaller fish only freezer for the garage. :)

Oh well.... Tight Lines!!

2. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Bluefin on the surface this morning at Shrewsbury Rocks! Bring your poppers!

3. GreenFan15J

Good move on the fridge!
    My wife tolerates the squid, spearing, and ballyhoo next to the ice cream…don’t know how long that will last.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Yep.. Mine is the same regarding the squid (she doesn't know about the bluefish fillets yet). The volume of tile fillets is at the point I have to find more room for them. Between that and the Haddock trip, I got enough fish to last well into next year. So, she's going on a business trip tomorrow for a few days and I'll be going to Best Buy! :)

5. Cman68

Yesterday, I got the freezer! 5 cu ft. is big enough to hold my fish and bait, but small enough to easily fit in the garage. Wifey will be a bit upset, but not seeing squid in the main freezer will help her see the light. (I hope). :)

GreenFan15J likes this.
  6. GreenFan15J

How many flats of Butters or Sardines can it handle?

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

36" tall, 27" wide, 21" deep with a basket. Only $169 @ best buy. Check it out.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

well....I got the last seat on the plane to JFK and we gave it a good go.

Saturday went as far as 3 Sisters, but no luck (chatter on radio was slim, aside from morons )... we broke up the monotony by bottom jiggin on some some marks (with tuna tackle lol) and got like 20+ 15" seabass... (all wouldve been legal here in FL), as welI as some big boston mackerels (That i tried to keep in the livewell in case we saw mr. tuna)

Sunday, based on the day before, we changed tactics and headed deeper & a bit more west (with a livewell full of live bunker I snagged on the way out)
    On our way to a wreck I saw some "fishy" looking water a mile from our destination (90'-95' of water), so I told my brother to stop the boat. Chilled for a bit to observe; no life signs so we started to move on, then sure as shit my brother sees a big splash behind us, then we turn to see a wolfpack of big tunas going nuts maybe 200yds away.... we stop the boat and swap nomads for live bunker to slow troll past them, but unfortunately 2 other boats saw the mayhem as well. One guy was cool, as he put out his spreader bars to troll around, but then the other jackass in a bigger boat comes in FULL THROTTLE as I'm on the bow waving my arms..... basically runs em over then stops to put out balloon rigs... but they were spooked at that point. We (and the other boat) trolled wide clockwise circles for awhile to no avail..... outside of one moment when drag screamed for a second from what was most likely a shark that snipped the 80lb fluoro.. and stupid bluefish that were tearing up our ballyhoo and RonZ tails
    In retrospect I wish I wouldve just got closer and threw lures, but the size of those fish, I wanted the 50s, not spinners .... and didnt anticipate the other jackass running up on us like that.

On the way in we saw a BIG bunker pod and tried to fish that for a bit, and a humpback whale pops up RIGHT next to us to check us out (I couldve rubbed his nose) and hung around for a bit. that was pretty cool, especially in a little boat... unfortunately no fish, but that was a cool consolation prize.... but our tuna sushi had to come from takeout that night.

0/2 so far but getting better at finding them

I did go see the METS pound the twins the next night though... got home yesterday I need to detox for awhile. lol

and how do you guys not already have some old garage fridge/freezer? Someone's always getting rid of one. The older they are, the better they work (sadly) ;)

#2608 stinkyB, Aug 1, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
    Cman68 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Mother Nature shutdown my multiday trip offshore. Honestly, I'm glad it got called off mostly because Saturday would have been a Vomit Comet with 7ft seas. Found out about a fishing pier where they actually catch fish. Will be checking it out in 2 weeks. Still got a 2 day trip on 8/29 and Pulley Ridge on 9/15. Weather patterns are changing and Pulley might get stormed out. Capt lets folks know 48hrs in advance so I should be able to cancel my reservations in time.

Tight Lines!!

10. stinkyB

I wonder who predicted that? ;)*

*granted 2 week forecasts are practically worthless....

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Cman68

JINX!!!

12. GreenFan15J

Well Stink that's why they call it Fishing not Catching.

Fucking Googans running over your lines deserve a well aimed sinker.

Glad you at least got busy with whales and saw the Bluefin crashing the bunker.

We fished the JCAA Fluke tournament Thursday one keeper for 32 fish. Sucked. Fished the Rocks, Long Branch, Red Church. Weighed the keeper anyway. Hot as balls out there no wind no drift.

Friday did a demonstration and shakedown cruise (my buddies $200,000.00 new Cummins motors were throwing weird alarms) to Little Italy and Humpty Dumpty. No life. Some good marks but nothing came tight on the Jigging or Popping. Trolled a bit not many boats there due to the weather report.
    Radio reporting sporadic Bluefin catches in the 35 lb range. Saw a couple small Yellowfin on the dock when we got back.

Weather looks shitty for the week. We are in another Fluke Tournament which might get pushed. See a blow headed your way. Stay Safe!

Cman68 likes this.
  13. stinkyB

Predicting tropical system weather in the keys for the peak of hurricane season doesnt count as a jinx..... it's like saying it'll probably snow in Alaska in the winter ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  14. stinkyB

Didnt run over our lines, but ran over the fish... end result was basically the same though. :confused:

shitty weather today, but we're east enough to where rain's the only real impact... maybe 40mph winds

15. Cman68

Keeping an eye on the weather in the Gulf for September. Full refund from both the American Patriot and Amtrak in case it gets cancelled. Hopefully I can get my trip in.

16. stinkyB

You may get lucky... when i was younger my buddy's parents had a vacation rental in Marathon. Well very few people commit to booking a place in the Keys in September, so when it was empty, they let us use it (we just had to pay the cleaning service)... we'd trailer the boat and fish hard for a few days. :cool:

Cman68 likes this.
  17. GreenFan15J

Weather here sucks and Debby won't make it better.

Did get a chance to rig up some Ballyhoo rigs for Mahi and Wahoo.

Hopefully conditions and water temps will improve to make that kind of fishing available.

Our inlet Manasquan got huge sand deposits due to the months of South winds.. They are dredging it out today.

I echo Stinks assessment of weather in the gulf during September. Hope the trip works out for you Cman.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. stinkyB

Hopefully you got some wire for those wahoo rigs ;) Blue and white & purple and black islanders behind a planer. Yo-zuri Bonita (or nomad madmacs) rt behind the propwash (if you trolling fast enough work good too).... but livebaiting them with bonitos or bluerunners is now my fav (if theyre thick and you're speciffically targeting them).

Yeah, I've had 2 trips to the "Middlegrounds" canceled by weather.... one when we had to turnaround 30 miles out :confused:

#2618 stinkyB, Aug 8, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  19. Cman68

Plan B - March 13th, 2025 is the next available 4 day Pulley Ridge trip. After that, the boat is booked until.... September.

20. stinkyB

Dang... Yankee Capts?

I'd check regional seasonal closures. Sure the wind can blow in march, but id say the weather in SFL is alot nicer in March than sept.... (it's hot as fuk rt now)