The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're right and I'm sorry. I guess I was feeling douchey from previous exchanges. I guess I have some work to do personally.

I'm done going at you.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Due to "Small Craft Advisories", TStorms and seas in the 4-5ft range, Me and Mrs. Cman will pass this weekend on fluke and hopefully, go at the SeaBass the following weekend. Winds will be out of the NW on Sunday but in the end, 10Kt winds and 5ft seas just isn't appealing to us.

SeaBass season starts 9/27 and we'll hit em next weekend hard.

Tight Lines Everybody!

C

3. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Which island you looking at visiting? I'd say good times to come would be in the Spring. A bit offseason between winter and summer so not as crowded but the weather is still nice. Or the fall, just after summer and before the "rainy" season starts. Summers are the nicest but the beaches are all so cluttered because school is out, and lotsa tourists. Summer is probably the only time you could really enjoy the North Shore waters because it's flat. Winter time is when the big waves roll in.

No worries dude, all good!

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Double dropper rigs with small trolling skirts (pink, lt blue?) then tipped with squid...... just sayin' :wink:

catch 'em up

5. stinkyB

Yeah, my buddy on the north shore will dive caves 25'+ down..... 1 was 2minutes through. Not me cuz, I was just watching :grin:

funny thing, he actually used to be a dive master when he lived here :grin:
    now just trains for big waves.
    Lungs aside, I have a F-ed up ear from taking a lip lunch onto the side of my head. Makes it hard to go deep without pain.
    I'm going to be one out-of-shape mofo by the time this foot heals.

byz, disappointed. that was weak.

6. Cman68

Got em rigged up (pink and chartreuse) and some squid in the box! :up:

7. abyzmul

Me saying that I was being a dickhead is disappointing? The guy is proud of his heritage and I have been an asshole to him for it for personal reasons regarding my time in Hawaii.

It sucks and I don't like myself for it.

8. stinkyB

The later, not the former...... but you manned up about it. Haole :wink:

9. stinkyB

nice! Are you using circle hooks on those rigs? I went fishing down here with one of those setups once, and my friend looked at me like I was retarded....... but I find those squid squirts can provided a second strike if the 1st guy steals your bait.
    The thing is here, we rarely just target SeaBass, unless you know you hit a patch where they're thick, but of course now they closed SeaBass in the winter for us, and that's the season when we really catch em.
    Yesterday my buddy said he's going to sell his offshore boat :shit:
    Guess I'll chasing reds in that kayak when that foot gets better.

10. Cman68

I'm actually using offset 1/0 circle hooks on those babies. All you have to do is raise the rod on a light bite and the fish hook themselves. Depending on how many heads are on the boat, I might just go with one hook instead of a tandem to keep the tangles to a minimum. Taking the squid out of the freezer tonite and into the cooler along with the 12" Subways and a 6pk of Rolling Rock! :)

If I know the Ocean Explorer, Bobby will be fishing all the near shore wrecks and I'll probably lose between 3-5 sinkers during the trip. If the Explorer is too crowded, wifey and I will be bringing our heavier Bluefish gear just in case as the Miss Belmar is docked the next berth over.

Headed to Belmar in the mornin... ! :up:

#190 Cman68, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  11. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Wow sounds like fun Cman! Be safe and tight lines! Hanapa'a! (It's

Thanks for the sig man!

12. abyzmul

I guess I haven't read this well enough. You live in Jersey now, Cman? I had seen references to Belmar but it didn't register.

13. stinkyB

Those are pretty small hooks..... they have big mouths (for their size)

Are you using Braid / PowerPro on your rods? When bottom fishing for smaller guys (seabass, porgies, vermillion snapper(beeliners), triggers) you really can feel the bite more as there's no stretch...... just lift up and start crankin' I'd go heavier lead than necc. on the head boat to avoid said tangles.... straight up and down, hopefully those skirts will make your rigs stand out. That being said, space out the dropper loops / hooks far enough to avoid tangling each other.

Have fun. I found out next week if this boot comes off.

#193 stinkyB, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  14. stinkyB

what did I do?

15. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

My signature, thanks for it!

16. Cman68

30 fish boated. 9 keepers. It's still early and the water might still be a little warm. Those 1/0 worked better than most on the boat as the fish were skittish and hit light. We moved around a lot too but a very stiff 15kt NE wind and 4` swells didn't help And it put Mrs. C down hard. Broke the tip on my rod too on a hard set and miss. Fixed it today.

I use 30# power pro with a 25# floro leader tied with a Albright. I don't use any metal at all as I suspect fish can see them. These Seabass loved clam belly and that's what I used while everybody else used strips. They started to switch after seeing my results. :)

Good day overall. Mrs. Cman feeling better today. We'll take a look at next weekend as this partial Seabass season ends Oct. 17th. The REAL Seabass season starts Nov. 1st to the end of the year.

17. stinkyB

well, taking home 9 sea bass isn't a bad day, but yeah, seems early. We don't get the good ones until the 1st of the year..... of course they close season then.
    what's the size limit up there?
    Bottom fishing in rough seas sucks. I don't get sea sick, but you get beat up

My brother called yesterday..... him & 5 buddies chartered a boat out of Montauk yesterday. They caught their limit of Stripers and Blues by lunchtime. My bro caught 2 40# Stripers. They had their limit trolling, but it was too rough to bottom fish, so they came in early stoked that he'd get home in time for the game....... well.. almost the perfect day

18. Cman68

Mrs. C is from Mizzou and Saltwater fishing is something I introduced her to. Normally, she's pretty good with the Dram but Saturday put a lot of folks down on the boat. Bless her heart, she's not gonna let that stop her and truth be told, she has a better touch for the Seabass than I do at times. She can hold her own against 10# plus Gorilla Blues too.

Size here is 12.5" min. The big'uns (5# plus) stay offshore and they get targeted late Nov into the winter months along with Tautogs and Whiting and other really cold weather fish. I usually have enough in the freezer by Thanksgiving that I shut down roughly around Nov 18th or so. I do my winter fishing at the Supermarket. We also used 8-10oz lead too. I only had one tangle and that was because the guy to my left tied on a third f'n hook. I was pissed!

Over the next 60 days is when I plan to do my most productive fishing. The Stripers and Blues will start heading south pretty soon and I'll be laying in wait for them off the Jersey coast. I have a few floating holidays I haven't used yet and some scheduled weekdays off.

#198 Cman68, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  19. stinkyB

Nice!
    Hey a woman that will charge the fish is a keeper in itself..... :beer:

same size limit here (I think 13"), but we catch them in the winter..... but now they're closed then. bullshit.

I've never caught a Striper (they were pretty rare when i lived up there) and yesterday my brother catches 2 40 pounders?!?!

I like your fire. catch em up now...... you can keep that cold shit!:grin:

20. Cman68

Yep yep!

We're thinking this Saturday (2ft seas, ESE winds 9kts, high of 72 onshore) we're gonna give those SeaB's another shot. I have next friday off (11th Oct) and I'm going after those gorilla blues that trip. Mrs. Cman probably won't make that one. Breaking in my custom rod for those Blues as well. Got it for that purpose and its time to see if I'll get my money's worth.