The Official "Draft a QB in 2024" thread.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm asking, not advocating. But if the Jets traded JFM to free up cap space and get draft pick or two he's a desirable enough player to legitimately get something decent back in a trade is he not? In addition to freeing up his salary.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

JFM is good but not worth his future contract good. He restructured to fit Rodgers this season, and is due roughly 17 million a year for 2024/25. Unless he breaks out the second half of the year nobody would give up much for him.

Jets81, IDFjet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good player, not great though. The Jets need to understand that they can’t just have all their resources on the roster invested in the defensive line, linebacker and cornerback.

The whole theory everyone’s been pumping is that Will McDonald was drafted to fill the void of the lightened defensive line next year so it needs to happen.

ouchy likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

An aquiring team could easily restructure him to a more realistic deal since the previous team eats the guaranteed dollars on the trade. Not sure it would make financial sense for the Jets though.

Maybe before they restructured him this year.

ouchy likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

His base salary is still around 14 million and I'm not sure he would restructure 2 years in a row. He's only making 4 million this year. I could see a team maybe throwing a 4th at us?

6. abyzmul

Restructuring is basically handing more guaranteed money to a player in exchange for spreading the money differently across the life of the contract, and sometimes adding years. I don't know if too many players have a problem with something like that. It usually hurts the team in the long run though.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Savatage likes this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I hope they get receivers that run faster than those golf carts

9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one.

I have to ask the posters on this board, "How DO you justify to your families blowing the kind of scratch that is required to go see a team that has NEVER really competed in any kind of sustainable way?" That's a question I really would like to read an answer. I don't care if I sat on a waiting list for 50 years, if a team blows monkey ass I'm NOT dropping TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on shit. That just doesn't seem hinged in reality to me.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. mezzavo

UNFORTUNATELY, NO decent established "anyone" would touch the NY Football Jets with a thousand foot pole without an ironclad, in writing, guarantee from Woody to keep his hands out and off. Since that is never going to happen we are going to constantly be giving "nobody's" a shot at the top job and re-tread failed OC's and DC's employment under that inexperienced head coach. If, of course, the "newbie" HC can CONVINCE anyone to come here.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. mezzavo

We're looking at this wrong. Yes, you DO draft a QB in the 1st round! You simply work WITH Rodgers to identify who that is.

It's a common tactic in business. If you KNOW that you have an employee who can be impacted by a decision you do whatever you can to work it so that it "feels" like the idea/solution "came from" said employee. What I'm saying is that team needs to figure out a way to draft a QB and have it be Rodgers idea.

12. mezzavo

OMG, could you see the boards if the Jets gave up what the 49'ers did to get ZW? I actually think torches and pitchforks would be in play in that scenario!:eek:o_O

13. mezzavo

Like I said in the other thread...dude, how often do you get called arrogant and "know it all" by the people in your orbit? HAS to be often. It is GRATING!!! I've started skipping your replies no matter the topic because it DRIPS with arrogance.

Cman68 and JetsNation06 like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s a highlight tape and everyone looks good in those but I really think there’s something there with this kid.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-pratt-1.html

Improved every year. He had every reason to transfer away from what was a dumpster fire of a program his first two years and didn’t. Lower competition during the year, but has played very well against power 5 competition and brought Tulane on the road to beat Kansas State (Big 12 champs), almost beat Oklahoma two years ago and drove them down to beat USC in a New Year’s 6 bowl game.

He’s also played a TON of college football.

Should be available in the 3rd for us.

#134 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 12, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
    NYJetsO12, Cman68, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  15. mezzavo

That was a good looking reel! So I went and did a little digging. First, I LOVE that he's a 4 year starter in college. My biggest "whine" about the drafting of QB's, in general, the last 15 or 20 years is drafting guys who have played less than 2 full years! Experience is EVERYTHING when you are a QB and get to the league. Without going off the rails on this guy, I agree with you. This guy should be around in the 3rd and I'd absolutely not fault the Jets for giving him a shot.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  16. abyzmul

Great footwork and form for that guy. He reminds me of Trevor Lawrence when he runs, he doesn't try pulling stuff like he's a back or something, just tucks his head and runs straight for as many yards as he can get.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He looks waay bigger than Zach Wilson body wise too. At 6'-3", 220lbs he has good size and his arm is top notch. I like how the kid runs too as he looks fearless and very comfident unlike our BYU Superstar in waiting. All of this means Joe Douglas will not draft him. Can't jeopardize Zach's fragile confidence level.

mezzavo likes this.
  18. mezzavo

No truer words have been spoken! lol

There are, what, a few thousand GangGreen posters? We could all go do research and come to a consensus on 3 or 4 QB's that would appear to be a good fit for the NFL and this team and the NY Jets would be certain to not have looked at ANY of them.

You know what an interesting read would be? The scouting reports that make it to our FO. I'd love to see what our scouts are saying and if it jives with what our FO is actually DOING.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hey, did anyone catch Belichek benching Mac Jones??? The CS can shove that bullshit excuse of nobody behind Zach up their asses sideways. They just don't wanna do it no matter how bad Zach plays. There's always gonna be a convenient excuse why Zach sucked on any particular gameday.

HomeoftheJets and mezzavo like this.
  20. mezzavo

The one that ALWAYS gets my steamed is when they drop the line, "You don't see what we see in practice!"

No shit Sherlock. Then again, no one gives two shits WHAT the kid looks like in practice! Practicing puts NO money in your pocket. What we see is what counts and I/we see it adds up to zero, zip, nada!