The Official "Draft a QB in 2024" thread.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 6, 2023.

1. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

They do need to draft a QB and let him sit and learn.

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Man, if this season keeps going down the tubes with the main culprit ZW at the helm, I don't see HOW this team can keep him as the #2 plan behind AR next season. Draft a rook, sign anyone even remotely competent as the #2 and go from there. Sadly, I think the only way those things happen is if JD is shown the door and I don't think is happening...

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well ... explain it to all of us.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

In retrospect I’m not sure we fucked Sanchez up. Rex loved him even if he didn’t know how to coach him, but he had a stacked offense and defense and, with the exception of the playoffs and a handful of regular season games, he was still pedestrian. 2011 or 2012 I believe is when the OL started to deteriorate and (Sanchez with it), with the exception of the 2015 outlier, the team has deteriorated as well.

The success of this franchise rides on finding a QB but in the meantime we need to build a nasty OL because it can help all of the shitty QB’s we take play to an almost mediocre level.

mezzavo and SOJAZ like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He got that $35m guaranteed cash contract working towards that end. He also has a guardian somewhere higher up than the HC making sure he stays on the field. Doesn't matter if he sucks as the only way Zach is not on the field is injury.

papapump likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wilson is on his rookie deal so cutting him nets no cap gain. he's also one of the top backup QBs in the NFL. cutting him and singing a replacement is a net negative on the cap and since he's a high tier backup it'll likely downgrade while costing us an extra 4-5 mil for a backup. even trading him only saves 1 mil and we need a replacement so it's still a net negative.

cutting mosley would save 11mil but thats a hard piece to replace right now. last year he was pro bowler and all pro and he's like at min a pro bowler this year. he also QBs an elite defense. it'll be a big hit for the D if we cut him. plus we'd have to replace him. it's doable but likely a downgrade. he'd still count 10 mil on the cap.

cutting the 2 of them results in a dead cap of 21-22 mil plus you have to pay replacements. it's not a zero effect.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson shoulda been traded before the season. Post June 1st trade to get out of that mess like the 49ers did with their equally terrible bust in Lance

At this point the 5th year option for 2025 is laughable.

So it is $11 mill on the books to keep him OR cut him next year. I'd cut him just cause he's obviously a poor option as backup QB, but if you can find someone who wants to trade anything for him you do that first and foremost.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Gotta take a QB if he's there and you like him. Rodgers will be coming off an Achilles injury at 39. If Zach Wilson is even remotely a part of this teams plans next season, something has gone terribly wrong. It doesn't need to be round one, but I'd be disappointed if the Jets didn't look into drafting a QB

Obviously depends on free agency, but I think OT and WR will once again be the two top needs. Hopefully they actually take one of those positions this year. I understood the McDonald pick, but I really didn't agree with it. I thought the WR was the obvious pick.

papapump likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did we not go all in for this season and next? Does anyone really think we are going to trot Rodgers out there without taking a linemen in the first round?

We went all in, and next season our cap will be shakier. We aren't taking a QB next year. We will have to play the hand we're holding to the end.

Pepsiguy5 and Borat like this.
  10. Unhappyjetsfan

Let's say our available 2024 cap space is the number X on May 1st. If we cut Mosely and Wilson on May 2nd, what is our available 2024 cap space?

11. GasedAndConfused

cutting zach saves 0. he cost the same whether we have him or release him. trading him saves 1 mil. he's a net negative no matter what because we have to pay a replacement

mosley is cutable. he saves 11mil and has a 10 mil dead cap. we could replace him easily for that 11 mil but it'll be a big drop in production for a couple million. not really worth it IMO but it's doable if we want to take the hit on defense to get some extra money for the offense. mosley counts 10mil against the cap for not being here and 21 mil if he is here.

we currently have 14.2 mil. draft class should take up about 10 mil of that. leaving around 4 mil.

key free agents are
    becton
    whitehead
    huff
    zuerlien
    morestead

other decent FAs are
    lawson (he can walk we don't need him)
    cook
    clark
    jefferson
    hall
    thomas
    CMG
    ashtyn davis

we can cut uzo to save 6 mil for sure.w e still have ruckert, conklin, and kuntz. JFM could be cut but thats rough. he's really good and a bargain on his contract and he don't have a great replacement. espicially if huff walks. losing lawson, JFM, and huff in 1 offseason would be brutal. leaving us with only JJ, clemens, and WMD. we could try to trade JFM to pay huff and get some value in return. of course we can do some restructures to get some extra cap room but we won't be big spenders.

12. Unhappyjetsfan

No, the correct answer was X - $136,000. You cut Mosely and Zach Wilson before June 1st and you lose approximately $136k in cap space (which is to say, it's a net even set of transactions).

13. GasedAndConfused

I was trying to explain it but if you just want a simple answer

cap = 14.3mil currently
    cut zach and cap = 14.3mil
    cut mosley and cap = 25.3 mil

14. Unhappyjetsfan

You know what, you're right. The way I should have phrased it was this ...

Let's say our available 2024 cap space is the number X on May 1st. If we cut Mosely and Wilson on May 2nd and sign a replacement backup QB for the exact same money Wilson was making, what is our available 2024 cap space?

15. GasedAndConfused

"making" has different meaning when it comes to cap.

zach is making cash wise 1mil in 2024. his cap hit is 11mil. even if we go by the 1 mil cash the answer is

X = 14.3mil
    X after zach and signing a replacement for 1 mil = 13.3mil

this isn't hard to understand lol

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Why do you constantly backtrack to semantics (like we're not going to notice and point it out)? Wilson is making $11 million in 2024. He may have already received some or all of the money upfront in a signing bonus (or some or all of it may be guaranteed in 2024), but for purposes of the salary cap, he is earning $11 million. If you sign a replacement QB for $11 million and cut Mosley (saving $11 million on the 2024 cap), your available cap money has not changed.

17. GasedAndConfused

thats why I pointed out "making" has different meanings. there is cash paid and cap hit. cash paid is what they actually make (as in get in their pay checks) cap hit is that cash made plus prorated bonus's paid out.

18. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm fully on board with majority of our picks being o line.

ouchy and Borat like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We’re in a kind of awkward spot for next offseason and specifically the draft

Our top needs are OL and WR, probably in that order. But…QB is a HUGE issue as well.

If Rodgers does come back:
    - We would just need a backup…hopefully one better than Zach, but it does allow us to focus on OL and WR first
    - There IS the risk that he struggles coming back to form at 40 years old with a year off…and there is also the risk of another injury, so backup QB is still a huge question
    - Even if he does come back, we still need a QB for the future, so do we take one this draft and let him sit behind Rodgers, or do we use our picks to maximize OL/WR to go all in (probably!)

If Rodgers does not come back:
    - QB becomes a HUGE need, but without fixing OL and WR, any rookie QB would have a hard time developing, so we’d have to navigate that

No easy answers here

20. GasedAndConfused

OT and WR yes. also depends on free agency. we are pretty good on the inside when healthy. it'll be tomlinson, tippman, AVT. could bring back CMG and/or schwietzer for depth as well. OT is a shit show. becton is a FA, brown likely retires or isn't resigned. currently only mitchell and warren are on the roster as OTs for 2024 and money is tight.

we don't need QB. rodgers is playing in 2024. we need to load the team around him to give us the best chance

Jets79 likes this.