The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Frankly, I didn't understand why JD never interviewed Peterson... the guy is a proven winner and look at LT development under him. Now I am watching Jax win with LT, Brody playing lights out and now this kid for the Fish putting up 31 pts.... and then we have ZW with all the arm potential but may lack the mental aspects of QBing in the NFL...

I stated who I want, the rest are not worth the interview IMHO unless as Borat suggests that they are gleening info about NFL O for these guys but most of these so called people have thin resumes to say the least...

2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'd agree with you, except one thing... Instincts. In the two years as OC, I never saw any football instincts displayed by MLF. Just with play calls alone, it never seemed like there was any strategy. It was like he was pulling plays out of a hat, nothing made sense. I don't remember ever seeing an early play, setup a later one.
    Being as analytical as he seems to be, I had hoped he'd be a good chess player, but was very disappointed.
    I think he has a bright future in the NFL, but unless he blooms some football smarts/instincts, he'll bottom-out at some point.
    Saleh needs to learn some too. These data types, to me, have a long way to go. Data's great to a point, but you also need to use street smarts. Mike McDaniel is another one, he doesn't know when or when not to be aggressive, unless it's a clear time, like being behind late in a game. He cost them the lead, & momentum today.
    That's one big reason Saleh needs an experienced, game-tested OC to lean on.

3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Watching the Giants game... what an absolute pleasure watching a functional offense function. And watching a scheme that is totally tailored to Daniel Jones' talents.
    I know Zach sucks, because people here keep telling me, but anything I've seen Jones do, I've seen Zach do.
    Jones' light goes on with good coaching, & scheme tailored to him. Zach goes into a shell with bad coaching, & a scheme designed for Mike White (the 2nd-string QB). Makes sense.
    I suspect that if the Giants CS got hold of Zach, they'd be running a scheme much closer to what they do with Jones, than what MLF did. And that's the key to why MLF has gone away.
    They'd better not repeat that mistake, with another whippersnapper hot-shot geek.
    I want a trained offense-centric brain, who sees what he has, & then designs the scheme around what he sees. They don't run someone else's scheme, they create one around the players they have.
    That's Belichick's genius, he has a system, and adjusts the schemes around the players he has.
    Which let's the system continually evolve.

SOJAZ, Borat, NY Jets68 and 1 other person like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

How Is this MLF fault?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

In 10 years I won't care.

Brook!, papapump, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He setup plays all the time. HuH? lol

Jets69 likes this.
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I had someone on this forum tell me he was calling a shit game to setup plays in the 4th quarter. I don't remember who.

I bet he did call plays to setup others, but the production shows it wasn't working well enough regardless

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Jets should done from the start is wait for 10 days until Bills are eliminated and get Daboll, prioritizing the offensive HC who has just developed a top QB prospect. But that's water under the bridge I am afraid...

Jets79 and burf like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Saleh casting a large net...
    [​IMG]
    ARRRG Matie!!! Hard starboard!!!! ARRRRG!!

10. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Danny Dimes to ZW is no comparison. Daniel Jones is 6 ft 6 and when he takes off to either buy time or scramble, A. He can see the whole field, B. He can stiff arm secondary defenders to the Turf. ZW is barely 5'11" and frail.

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zwilson apologists will quickly point to Drew Brees as proof smurf QB's can succeed. Too bad there's only one Drew Brees and zwilson isn't it.

Didn't know DJ was 6'6". Our next QB really needs to be taller than zwilson.

SOJAZ, Jets69 and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  12. heartpumpsgreen

Some have him listed 6'5, others 6'6 either eay he's taller than ZW by a lot lol

13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Everyone one knows it's the OCs fault Zach Wilson is garbage, just wait until be get that OC/miracle worker/magician that's going to make Wilson the greatest ever, going to harness his skill set and unleash them on the NFL

Cman68 and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I understand you have to make your point, but unfortunately you missed mine.
    Just in case you need some help, my comparison wasn't DJ vs ZW, it was about coaching, schemes, & brains.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. heartpumpsgreen

I get it, I think you mean to say you wish the Jets had an OC who tailored an offense to ZW aS Daboll has done with DJ

I just think it's tough to compare ZW with ANY good QB in ANY scenario right now IE if the Jets had this coach or that coach. Like oh if the Jets had Daboll, ZW might play like Josh Allen.

ZW is a 3rd string project at this point. I'm not opposed to keeping him on the roster to squeeze something out of him if possible but I don't think the new Jets OC will be majorly tasked with that. I think Woody was PRETTY clear that ZW will not be QB1 and a vet will be brought in. The new OC will have to have a creative passing scheme (unless we end up with unfortunate situation of getting Lamar Jackson for multiple 1st and 2nd round picks and then 200 mill tied up over years)

QBs have been "unlocked" late in their careers. Just need the right OC/QB combo. I've seen enough of ZW, again I doubt the new OC, whoever it will be, will have developing ZW at the top of his priority list.

#235 heartpumpsgreen, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The great teams have great coaching staffs. Their players are their tools/weapons to win against competition.
    What sense does it make, to have a set scheme, before you know what weapons you have?
    And once you have the weapons, what sense does it make to make your weapons do things, that don't match their skillset.
    A good coach designs a scheme/plays to maximize the talent he has to work with.
    If you watch the playoffs, you're watching a competition of coaching staffs... how well do they utilize the set of players they have to work with? And how well can they adjust to what their opponents are trying to do to them?
    I don't like the Giants. I can't root for them. But, man, do they have a great coaching staff. No injury excuses, no, 'oh our receivers aren't that good...' they just work with what they have, and compete!

SOJAZ, Jets1035, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  17. heartpumpsgreen

Agree with this. No excuses great coaching can over come a lot, but not everything.
    I'm not convinced great coaching could overcome ZW under center. He didn't need to be fine tuned, he barely looked High School level competent out there. To me, that runs deeper than coaching. But perhaps, to your point, a good head coach would have designed play schemes to make him suck less.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  18. burf

burf Well-Known Member

You keep going back to Zach. I understand you think he sucks, & no coaching could help him.
    I don't know that.
    So, my focus is on coaching.
    I know what I saw from Zach. I know what I saw from MLF. And I know I saw Zach get progressively worse.
    So, if a coach can get Zach back to where he started in the NFL, & then build the scheme around Zach's current skillset, then call plays that maximize his talent... who knows?
    I know you do, but I don't, and would like to see at some point, how Zach would respond to proper coaching designed for him, rather some imaginary player MLF had in his head, but that wasn't on his roster.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No, I’m fine with the Saleh hire even though I wanted Daboll. But Saleh should’ve went out and hired a Jay Gruden or experienced OC type instead of a family friend that’s never done the job.

Daboll got his job and hired a career great defensive coordinator to just handle all of that shit while he oversaw the bigger picture and coached the offense.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I disagree with these continued excuses for Zach…oh it’s the drops…oh it’s the OL…oh it’s the coaching…enough already!

how about complete a fucking pass when the receiver is open…ESPECIALLY if the receiver is like 7 yards away from you. How about that???

I just can’t fathom the excuses some people keep making for him…it’s out of control and just wishful thinking

I don’t get it

SOJAZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.