The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Getting rid of LaFleur was part 1 of a 2 part (at least) process. I know you completely disagree, but for those of us who wanted him replaced, the first step was that he had to go, either fired or resigned. Doing that does nothing to ensure any future success or improvement, and we all knew that risk, that things could actually get worse. But if nothing changes, nothing changes. When there's change there's risk the new change won't work, or won't work the way you wanted it to, or work on your timetable. So predicting failure and disaster is a pretty safe bet for you, especially with this team.

But something had to change. Maybe more than one thing, but MLF simply wasn't successful when judged on points scored and games won, regardless of who the QB was. You've insisted that the main problem was Zach and injuries, but LaFleur needed to adjust to these realities and he didn't. Now they have to find someone who can and will. Maybe they won't. But nothing changes unless something changes.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

They should find an OC who can be flexible and adapt his system to whatever QB is there.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think it’s just as much of a fools errand to expect a huge jump from an MLF-led offense as it is to expect “all” from a new staff. If anything the expectations for MLF should have been way higher than a new OC. It’s very rare you get a third try after flopping the first two times in this league.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

For all those who believe that LaFleur wasn't a big part of the problem, that it was more the QB (mainly ZW in their eyes), step back and consider what the granddaddy of the West Coast or Shanahan Offense did when he lost his starting QB when he was the Passing Game Coordinator and QB Coach for the Bengals. Because that's what triggered him creating this newfangled offense to begin with:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1087386-football-101-breaking-down-the-west-coast-offense

How It All Started

It's the year of 1969 and the Cincinnati Bengals are heading to a 3-0 record under head coach Paul Brown and quarterbacks coach / play-caller Bill Walsh.

Walsh's offense is directed by a postmodern athlete of yesteryear named Greg Cook, who was a 6'4", 220-pound quarterback that, according to Walsh, "could have very well been remembered or noted as the greatest quarterback of all time."

Cook's rookie season would get off to a dazzling start, with him throwing five touchdowns in the first two games. But in Week 3 against the Kansas City Chiefs, it came to a crashing halt that would change the path of Cook's and his astute coach's career.

Cook would tear his rotator cuff when he was brought down by a Chiefs defender. Despite playing through it the remainder of the season in which he would go on to lead the league in passing at a mind-numbing 9.4 yards per attempt and an astronomical 17.5 yards per completion, he would never be the same—nor would Walsh's offense.

Described by the Bengals offensive guru as having a "nickel-and-dime" offense, Walsh would redesign his vertical-happy offense, which he learned from Al Davis in his brief 1966 stint with the Oakland Raiders with a limited-arm talent named Virgil Carter.

Carter did not possess the talent that Cook did, but he was mobile, accurate and intelligent, which enabled Walsh to shape an offensive philosophy that would come to change the face of football.

Read the rest of the article on how he developed it and how others modified it since, but the main point is that when he was left with a QB who clearly couldn't execute his favored offense - a vertical one based on the old Oakland Raiders offense - he changed his approach to fit the abilities of the QB he DID have. This is what MLF failed to do. IDK if he tried to and his changes just didn't work, or if he simply insisted on everyone sticking with his plan, but in any case, what he did didn't work. That's why he was let go.

I really hope that Douglas and Saleh hire someone who has the flexibility and creativity of Bill Walsh - even if they're not as brilliant as he was. And while a young, never before OC might fit that description, the Jets have been burned so many times hiring someone based on their promise and potential only to see it go unfulfilled. That's why they need to hire someone who has experience as an OC at least, Of the names I've heard tossed around - but not by the Jets - Reich, Olsen are two that fit the bill of being experienced, creative, and flexible. If it's not one of them, I hope it's someone like that.

Ralebird, SOJAZ and NY Jets68 like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a good idea to take a crack at guys like this. Some may become stars - whether it is right away or after some seasoning. This is what we Saleh did with MILF. But the problem is, how do we mitigate the risk if they are not stars right away? Saleh is not offensive guy, he can't do it. That's the problem we have. If you have no way to mitigate the risk at all, you can't take the risk.

Looks the Giants. Daboll took a young guy in Kafka as his OC, who is that type of good offensive mind, but not proven or seasoned. He will groom him, because he himself can call plays and make nuanced adjustments, etc... But for defense, which is not his specialty, he got a solid experienced guy in Martindale. At the junction we are at, we need to follow the same concept.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, Red Menace and 3 others like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

great points! The HC can lead his side of the ball expertise, but for the other side, get someone seasoned who’s been there and done that with a proven track record. Makes total sense, and the result is the Giants got much better play out of their QB because they brought in the guy I wanted…an offense guy who had already shown he could develop a QB.

we went another way. We went young rookies EVERYWHERE…HC, QB, OC, DC…everywhere. When a ton of injuries hit and the highly drafted QB showed he can’t hit a fucking dumpoff pass the offense went to shit.

I get it was bad. I blame first the QB who can’t hit a goddamn pass and then the huge injuries on OL.
    It sucks…

personally I do t have an issue with the scheme…we had open receivers everywhere. I get the actual playcalling was so-so … I hate empty backfield on third and short for example… but playcalling is the kind of skill that I think would develop over time.

now if you say we have the second coming of Bill Walsh lined up to take over ok I can get behind the move….but the list of people we seem to be looking at is unimpressive to say the least. So far not ONE proven guy who’s done it. So what, we’re going to go with a young guy again and have to go through growing pains again?

The Pats fucking TE coach? Seriously? The Colts OC when they’ve gone through QBs like nobody’s business? These are the guys we’re talking to? GTFOH.

I am not impressed so far so I hope it gets WAY better

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed Andy Reid gets fired and we hire him as OC!

SOJAZ, JetFanInNE and KingRoach like this.
  8. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Watch MLF turn out to be the Geno of OC's. In 10 years he won't suck.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree, I’m with getting someone who has a bit more experience. But the second paragraph describes what the Jets should’ve done from the start with Saleh. Or what Saleh would’ve done from the start which is hire someone to take care of the offense who has done it before.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

The bold is why both Saleh and Douglas may be on the hot seat. Really, how much expertise does it take to understand that if you hire a DC, you need to hire an experienced OC who doesn't need any help from his HC? The Giants did this the right way, and I have to believe that's also got Woody's ass chapped.

The Jets have a chance for a "do over". They can go out and get an experienced OC who has a track record of success working with QBs, especially young ones if they're going to keep Zach. If they don't take advantage of this, they deserve to get fired. Unfortunately the fans don't deserve the fall out from this continued dysfunction.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  11. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Has Kubiak declined an interview?

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

well said.

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Just sucks because I would have rather they went through the growing pains heading into year three In hopes of turning the offense around like they did this defense.

I think It was very possible, likely even.

Now, I feel we are most likely looking at another failed attempt at being a good football team.

I don't disagree with this at all though. Just sucks.

14. IIMeanDeanII

My point. If you knew this was the list of candidates you were looking at.

Why bother? Just keep the guy you had.

I truly hope you're right because the three names they are looking at first are trash tier.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

Why? It happened with Ulbrich and this team with infused talent to mesh with talent that was already here. Last to first essentially.

With a healthy team back and more infused talent on offense, why couldn't that happen to the offense too?

The amount of plays that were missed this year because of player error Is crazy. I'm telling ya. The plays weren't the issue.

Did MLF have things he needed to get better at? Of course but the scheme was good and the potential was there. Certain things needs to be fixed though before that could manifest.

Just like It did for our defense from year 1 to year 2.

Now, we will never know. Now, we are staring at a unproven OC (most likely) to navigate this team on a year In which we must make the playoffs or everything will be blown up again for this team.

16. IIMeanDeanII

This was a good article. Thanks for sharing.

However. It's unrealistic for OCs to continue to reinvent the wheel. Comparing Walsh to your everyday OC Isn't fair. The dude was light years ahead of everyone, even today, his genius still carries on through the coaching ranks.

I get what you are saying and that would be nice but It's very unrealistic. IMO

17. IIMeanDeanII

Change can come from many different facets In life. Change can be a result of better talent. Change within, etc...

Us firing everyone every two years, that Is something that HAS to change because we've been doing this same song and dance since 2010. It's not working. It hasn't worked.

Now we are doing It again.

The things that truly need to change. IMO. Are ignored by the owners and fans every other year. This impatient mentality Is causing this team to fall right back into the very place none of us wants this team to be.

Losers.

We are so desperate as fans, we don't realize the things we are demanding, are the very things keeping us In the same old patterns and the same ole results. Which ultimately results In..

Same Old Jets.

18. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I’ve been here since the mid sixties. It really hasn’t been this way every two years. I can really understand your frustration if it began around 2010 for you.

I do believe that our biggest mistakes were hiring yet another defensive HC. Having a rookie QB, then bringing in several rookie coaches, especially our OC, was a recipe for a disaster.

I do hope that JD really gets involved with this search for another OC. Saleh is a nice guy, nice sure if he is HC material though. I really hope that I am wrong about that.

19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Because it’s easy to turn a D around in a year. We’ve done it time and again. An offense needs a QB. Until an offense has a QB it can only be turned around by finding a QB and loading the O with talent.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Imagine the Chargers drafting Ryan Leaf and the GM able to keep his job and blame the offensive coordinator

JohnnyP123456 and HomeoftheJets like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.