The New "Tuck Rule"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fenwyr, Jan 9, 2007.

1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'm not entirely denying the video proof, I'm talking about the play as it was called on the field in real time.

And to show I'm not completely homer biased here, I thought Cotch should have been ruled down in the first Pats game, though a challenge would have shown he wasn't.

It's one thing to keep the play going, it's another thing to put players in compromising positions. Name your favorite player... If he blew out his knee on a play that should have been called dead, would you at least have some perspective as to where I'm coming from?

Incomplete pass? OK, but reviewable. Likely overturned and Pats ball at the spot of recovery. I would have been OK with that call.

When things go all gray you need to stop the play and sort things out. With your 20/20 hindsight glasses on you are positive that it was a lateral. Fine. In real time players don't have the same glasses, and all but one player on the field responded as if it was an incomplete pass, and even he needed the Pats coaches screaming at him to know the play wasn't over.

2. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Are you incapable of debating a topic without being an arrogant prick? Half the things you said made sense, but then you resort that BS.

3. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

That was hilarious by the way. :wink:

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

There was no reason to blow the whistle. Ignorance of the rules or mental lapses by players are not a reason to blow the whistle. The refs correctly saw that it was a backwards pass so why would they blow the play dead?

5. PantsB

PantsB New Member

Some how I doubt fenwyr has watched 25 years of football if he's never seen that play.

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Because they haven't been blowing hardly anything dead this season. Did you just hear about the new rule? The new rule sucks and is going to get someone seriously injured.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

but the play should not have been called dead. the play was called correctly. all you are saying is that you wanted the call to be ruled incorrectly and in the Jets favor simply because you couldn't tell that it was the correct call in live speed, even though you could in replay, thus the refs should adhere to your inabilites.

does that really sound like a logical position that should dictate how NFL games are officiated?

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I've seen the play hundreds of times, sadly (again I hate the play) but have never seen it ruled a fumble when tipped that close to the line. Why is that so hard to understand?

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Ok fine, then talk about the rule and leave this specific play out of it. Saying you don't like the new policy of "keeping plays alive" so they can be overturned if necessary rather then blowing them dead is perfectly reasonable. Saying the play on Sunday should've been ruled an incomplete pass is not.

10. JetBlue

exactly! so not calling the play dead falls in line with what refs have been doing all season. I think you just officially negated your own argument. congrats.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Are you an NFL ref? If not, I can in no way understand your support of their real time decision making.

12. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

But the rule is that if the ball is traveling backwards, it's a lateral. The refs saw that the ball was traveling backwards, and they ruled it a lateral. You basically just said that you're complaining because the refs made the correct call.

13. JetBlue

what support is that?

14. Gator

Gator Active Member

I'm reading Jetblues post again, and it looks like he's talking football stuff. I'll see you after your banning, which is clearly what you're trying to do here, figuring it's a good time for it.

15. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

It was ruled a fumble in a Jets game earlier this year.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

God forbid someone disagree with the masses. If you cannot see his arrogance, you are blind. Why would I be banned? Dino asked us to tone it down and I did. Just because my opinion is not accepted by the herd, why should I not still be allowed to express it?

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on that play the WR made a play on the ball? I don't recall Chad being tipped at the line and having it be ruled a fumble...

18. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Now you have

19. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I agree. I thought it was bullshit as well. In anyother game, that play is called an incomplete and on to the next play as soon as the ball hits the ground. It was a bacwards pass, but in real time it would have been impossible to tell, and on to the next play.

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

How ironic is this?

This entire thread has become a metaphor for the very play it spotlights: backwards, stupid, demoralizing, negative, idiotic, agonizing and a real loser.