The Mike Nugent Thread (MERGED 6x)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Sep 10, 2006.

1. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

I never said cut him.....I said lynch him....very different...then I amended it to draw and quartering him....far more painful....both ultimately illegal, so I guess we let him live another week.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The bigger question is now has Mangini lost confidence in Nuget which will make him shift his thinking of how to beat NE?

3. championjets69

& what if the coach does not have confidence in him anymore & on a 4th & 2 instead of trying a FG we go for it & fail & the other side breezes down the firld for the winning score? What would you say then?

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't think Mangini would play for FGs if he had Jan Stenerud in his prime kicking for this team.

Mangini does not seem to have the "play for the FG" mentality of Edwards and Hackett. The goal is to score touchdowns. Field goals are a last resort.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

4th and 2 next Sunday, I'm sure the Jets will kick a FG unless it's at the end of the game and the Jets are down by 4 or more points. Mangini has lost some confidence in Nugent I'm sure. But he hasn't lost enough to the point where the Jets will be eschewing field goal attempts.

6. championjets69

What is the value of that based on Nugents track record in the TN game? Since Man is already quoted as saying we have to examine that more closely that means he has lost confidence in hos FGK.

7. championjets69

Well he went for 3 against TN & was successful only once. When a drive stalls usually the FG is the next step which is where I am coming from if Man has no more confidence in Nuge then he will disdain the FG which could cost us the game as a idescribe earlier

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, I agree with you that Mangini has lost confidence in his FGK. However, Nugent should and probably will get an opportunity to regain Mangini's trust.

9. championjets69

Maybe but once the boss loses confidence in you it could be very, very hard getting back into his good graces since he may not give you the opportunity. Now if Nuge is given the shot in his head he is saying I CANNOT fail cause my boss will axe me if I miss & because of that pressure Nuge pulls it wide so Man is sort of damned if he does try him again. Cutting him takes all the pressure off & is put on the new PK whomever he is

10. VilmaDaMan

VilmaDaMan New Member

They need to bring in Gramatica just to put a scare into Nugent, if he doesn't have one already.

11. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Best post ever?

12. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

And don't forget poaha or however it's spelled. That has to have been the worst Day 1 draft moves for the Jets ever.

13. baghead

baghead Banned

couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo ..

14. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I am retiring my Nugent-kicking-Doug-Brien's-Head avatar until further notice. You gotta earn that one, Nugent.

15. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

LMAO!

But if I'm EM, I'm saying "Do that again and you're gone."

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If EM is the results freak that he appears to be, then its a pretty good bet Nuge is in some deep kimshee right now. I would imagine his leash is shorter than either Houston's or Askew's..

As far as cutting a kicker drafted that high? I don't think Mangini cares much about that..

17. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Man...I thought that was what they called HC's that used to coach the Jets but moved to Kansas City....Im all screwed up now.

Hey...Nugent is going anywhere. You have a troll like champ69 saying things about last season...for a rookie..last year wasnt bad at all.

Was he worth a second round pick? Probably not...but thats the first really bad game he has had.

We should all chill out a bit. If this kid is as cool as some of us think he is...I expect a good game from him next week..and a solid season. He got off to a rocky start last season..and came on pretty strong.

#277 jaywayne12, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
  18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I know people keep saying this is one bad game, but come on.

He missed two field goals and an extra point. That's a whole drive's worth of points given up. We wouldn't have been stressed hoping Penny could lead that drive late and then praying the D held.

But even if you want to discount that as a rare occurrance, explain the lack of leg strength on kick offs. He gets neither booming height nor long distance on his kicks. That's going to hurt one day when a good returner gets his hands on the ball at the 10 or 15, while our STs are still back at the 30.

Defending Chad over the past year was one thing. He had a body of work to show that he had done things in past that if repeated would make it a great comeback. Nuge has done exactly nothing yet to warrant the constant second chances.

Graham was practicing place kicking last year. Why not give him a shot? He has an amazing leg, and if he can be accurate on FG attempts, he can probably nail 50 yarders with no problem.

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I follow what you are saying AF. Im just going to wait another week before I flip out...but I do understand the concern.

20. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Here's the way I look at it:

1. Nugent has a bug in his head that's causing him to be nervous during kicks.
    2. Nugent was a prolific kicker in college. In college, he was fearless. He has spoken about that.
    3. The kicker is not like any other position. It's not like he has to deal with getting hit more or having anyone cover him. All he has to do is kick, just like he did in college.
    4. This is all mental. He has to figure out a way to block everything from his mind and just kick like he always has. He was like that in college. I don't see why he can't be like that now.
    5. But this is NY, and maybe his nervousness will always be there. In that case, if he's hurting the team, how long can you wait to see him clear his head before you pull the trigger and bring back Brien or his equivalent?