The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't think Geno Smith is very good, although the potential is still there, but I do agree he is unfairly criticized. His rookie year especially he was mocked in the media for his high turnover ratio but I believe Eli Manning, a 10th year 2 time superbowl winning QB had more turnovers, but that was never the lead story. Instead a rookie qb on a team without any offensive weapons was being held to a higher standard than Eli Manning. That is not fair.

On another note, I don't think Geno got enough blame for missing that meeting. That was ridiculous. He is so inconsistent in everything he does.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  2. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Your right but you can't tell some of these clowns on here. Has Geno turn the ball over to much? Yes he has but like you said he still young. People seem to forget he hasn't had a any good weapons around him at WR.

3. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Or an offensive line to give him more the 2 seconds to throw the ball. Out Offensive line NEEDS LOTS OF HELP

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Since when is life fair? I certainly would prefer not to wait 46 years for the Jets to be in the SB but I won't quit as a fan. I would prefer not to be in a league with cheaters but I will beat them anyway. If I am a QB playing in the NY market I would expect media scrutiny and live with it but elavate my game. How has Smith responded ? "I'll take one with mustard and sauerkraut...burp"

TNJet likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

In what way are you related to Geno? You have to be, right?

So true!

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why cherry pick his last 5? What about the 5 game stretch in the beginning of the year when we still had a chance, when there was still pressure to win and forced him finally to the bench?

Remember when he took us to 1-7?

Btw, that perfect Miami game skews that number--he wasn't over 89 in any of the other 4 games. And in those 4 games he was 3 TDs to 3 INTs, still under 60% completion rate for 177 yards a game. Not taking anything away from that Miami game, he was great. Those other 4 games he wasn't a 97.5 passer rating QB. He was just mediocre.

Sounds like the same mirage that people were floating at the end of last year when Geno had the second highest rating behind PEYTON FREAKING MANNING the last 4 games.

_

john law and FlaJet like this.
  7. 4jetfans

WORD

8. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I think Geno sucks I was just throwing that out there

9. JStokes

But it's a mirage, just like last year was a mirage.

And you know what that mirage did?

It gave Idzfuck an excuse to pass on a franchise QB. TWO franchise QBs.

Fuck him.

_

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I actually like some of his game. He turns the ball over too much for sure, but his god given ability is through the roof. If he could ever put it all together he'd be a damn good QB.

He's decent between the 20's and he drove the team down the field pretty well at times last year. It was just once the Jets got into the redzone and everything got a bit tighter, he struggled big time.

It'll be interesting to see who is the QB next year. With a new coach and GM, there will be no loyalty towards Geno Smith. If Winston is available when we pick he'll probably be the starter, but if not, we're looking at Geno/Vet next year as well. Whats nice is, there will be an actual competition so that the best player will play.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

True, Geno only plays well when it doesn't mean anything. Late season bursts only screw up our draft position, nothing more.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. JStokes

Irrelevant. There are 1000 guys with God given talent.

God given talent and a ten cent brain produced Ryan Leaf.

Geno has an inferior football IQ.

Can't fix that and trying to hide it makes for dissapointment in January.

Which is fine if you don't care about winning a Super Bowl.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. jcass10

I really don't care to get into another QB discussion with you, you're very difficult to discuss things with. We've both made our opinions known time and time again. We can just agree to disagree on this front.

14. JStokes

So you felt in necessary to point out that (i) I'm very difficult to discuss QBs with and (ii) you disagree with my opinion.

Well done.

Please tell us again how great Geno is.

"God" given talent lol.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. 4jetfans

That is exactly what I was thinking, And if we were higher in the draft order he would be out of a job.
    Almost like playing to win to lower our pick to save his job type of deal.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Geno didn't suck so badly and be accountable for his play, maybe the media wouldn't be so hard on him. Instead, he's out here saying he was performing at a pro-bowl level at times.

Well deserved. Geno sucks, could have told you that prior to the draft (in which actually I did).

17. jcass10

This is what I'm talking about. When did I ever say Geno is great? The answer is never. I said he has some natural ability but hasnt been able to translate that to the NFL. He has a great arm and can make some damn good throws, but turns the ball over way too much and you cant do that.

You're just looking to pick fights. I've said 1000 times if Winston is available I'm picking him and throwing Geno right to the bench. Apparently if you dont want to select Mariota, than you dont want to win a SB. Thats really what half your posts look like to me.

18. JStokes

You didn't say "natural" talent, you said "God given" talent as if his talent is in an ethereal plane like Jesus throwing a deep sideline pass. He's got the natural talent 1000 guys have. There are HS players with his natural talent.

He's not smart.

And while I prefer Mariota, I'd take Winston in a second because he's a supremely talented guy PLUS a high football IQ. My only fear is his maturity.

Don't be so defensive.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Nothing unfair. Geno's all time low Qb stats speak for themselves. I just wish there had been more accountability with Mark. Who should have been benched the way Geno was. But Geno did play better his last five games. He's still in the Jets Qb equation and should be.

20. jcass10

Very weird analogy. Many consider "God Given" and "Natural ability" the same thing. If you didnt, I suppose thats my bad for not clarifying for you.

His football IQ could be higher for sure, and he makes bone headed mistakes. But I have no problem putting him in Chan's offense next year so whoever we draft can sit.

Dont think I'm being defensive though. I guess thats a matter of opinion, though.