The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think it's actually very likely. Hey, if either Winston or Mariota are on our sideline carrying a clipboard then I'm fine with it.

If Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Simms are the QBs on our sideline, I'm going to vomit.

_

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respect your opinions on QBs a lot, but I think you're over the top on Geno. You and I both know how little Rex knows about offense, yet how conservative and passive he wants the offense to play. We also both (I think) know that Rex and his CS were pretty bad at developing young players. As a teacher, I know that many times, it's ALL on the teacher for how he/she presents the material, and the patience that is shown during the learning process. NONE of us know what happened at practice, or what private conversations may have happened between Rex and Geno, or what Rex may have instructed Lee and/or MM to say to Geno or how to handle him. We also know that Geno played MUCH better in games that didn't matter and/or where the offense was allowed to just play and open things up, versus where they were being much more cautious. If you continually tell someone, "Don't make a mistake. Don't screw up." you're guaranteeing that they will make mistakes and screw up. We ALL know that players can't be thinking too much on the field. They have to relax and let their instincts take over. I think that most Jets fans know that Geno should have never played his first year. He probably never got the chance to get really solid in his fundamentals and so those are still in the back of his mind, and his confidence has taken a huge hit. Now he may never had have the football IQ to begin with, but since the Jets interviewed him and worked him out, then drafted him, then we have to assume that he either does, or Idzik, Bradway and the Jets scouts are more incompetent than even we dared think. We may never know the real truth of the matter, but imo until we see that Geno still sucks after playing under Gailey, Bowles and the new QB coach, we can't say that he's incapable of learning, is lazy, a bust, terrible or will never develop. If/when that time comes, I'll be ready to join you 100% in saying that Geno was a wasted pick. I'm already leaning in that direction. Knowing what an awful HC Rex was and how incompetent he and his CS were at developing young players prevents me from already writing Geno off. Common sense dictates that. Geno gets a second chance under an OC who is known for getting the best out of his QBs. If he screws the pooch with Gailey, then off with his head.

3. NCJetsfan

Matt Simms? Please. I can't believe that you actually think that Matt Simms has any ability to play.

4. JStokes

No, I'm saying if he and Fitzy are our backups I'll vomit.

_

5. NCJetsfan

Oh Sorry. I thought you meant if Geno was starting instead of Simms. My apologies. I agree with you regarding Fitzpatrick and Geno. I think if Geno has any chance to develop any kind of consistency, then he needs to sit for a while, work on his fundamentals and learn from Gailey and Fitzpatrick. I'm not sure how much, if anything he'll learn from the QB coach. That imo was the worst hiring Bowles made, and I expect nothing from him.

6. JStokes

To be fair, my impressions of Geno didn't start off well. I didn't like him at WVU, thought his production was a mirage and the 3 times I saw him live I was thoroughly unimpressed. He blew in the Pinstripe Bowl. Never like his demeanor or his "story". I don't think he's a leader. I've always acknowledged that he can throw a beautiful ball when he gets his feet set and he's made some unbelievably gorgeous throws into very tight windows. I think he's extremely tough. But I don't think he can read defenses, has a very low football IQ and for as athletic as he is, he's not a very good or instinctual runner.

But it's the football IQ part that I can't get over. The guys I wanted a year BEFORE we took Geno had much higher football IQs and I wanted to wait until 2014 to grab one of them. Any of them.

Giving him another year so we can see if Gailey can turn chicken shit into chicken salad is taking a step back.

Can Gailey dumb down the playbook and hide his flaws so we can go 9-7 and get summarily knocked out in the first round?

Not really what I aspire to as a Jet fan.

_

7. NCJetsfan

I know they didn't. I've read every word of your posts regarding QBs. You could be totally right regarding Geno, but imo we just don't have enough evidence to support that...yet. As I said, if Gailey can't do anything with him, then that will be enough evidence.

I'm not in favor of Geno starting this year. I definitely want the Jets to sign Moore, Hill, Fitzpatrick or maybe even McCown and have Geno be the backup. I think if Geno has any hope of developing any kind of consistency, raising his football IQ, or becoming even an average QB, he needs to sit for this year and focus solely on fundamentals.

If we go 9-7, make the playoffs, and then get knocked out with Moore, Fitzpatrick, Hill or McCown starting, fine. I don't want Geno to sniff the playing field this year unless forced to by injury to the starter (Heaven forbid). I don't aspire to that. I'd really rather the team show a lot of progress in overall play, toughness, eliminating penalties and stupid mistakes, be competitive and finish 7-9 than 9-7. They're not going to be able to fill all their holes this offseason. 7-9 would put us in better draft position for next year, then from that point on I'd want at least 9-7 as a minimum, if not 10-6 or better.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Great post. Rex was actively destructive to the QB position and because of that we do not know what we have

9. JStokes

No, neither of us were.

But you know who was?

http://nypost.com/2015/02/16/chris-johnson-idzik-lied-to-me-about-jets-playing-time/

"Johnson said he does not blame former coach Rex Ryan. Instead, he believes general manager John Idzik dictated the playing time.

“Throughout the whole thing, I think last year, with that organization, I think a lot of the stuff was out of Rex’s hands,” Johnson said. “A lot of the things that we were doing, I think it was out of Rex’s hands. Don’t nobody know but it was a [bad] situation.”"

You may choose to believe what you'd like, but a player in the room is thinking the exact same thing some of us are thinking.

_

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

YOu are arriving at the opposite conclusion regarding the faux competition with Vick. I dont understand why someone would go to the trouble of signing Vick, anod more to the point talk about competition as a mantra, and then not have one if you had confidence Smith would win that competition. It struck me as more in keeping with trying to give the appearance that your second round draft pick the year before was a great move.

11. JStokes

Yup, if what 85 is positing is true, it would have been made clear that Vick was coming here for insurance purposes only, as the clear backup, that he knows his role and doesn't have any problem with it.

But what we heard was the competition competition competition BS and it was actually Vick who was the most candid about his situation. And judging by his comments that he still thinks he can be a starter in this league, I'm not so sure Idzik didn't lie to him as well.

_

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree 85's position on this makes no sense. I would also add that I am virtually certain that Vick would not have come to the Jets if he understood that was to be his role. So I do think Idzik lied to him, too, in order to get him to sign, and once he did Vick kept his mouth shut, which he had to do considering his own reputation. He did eventually signal he was not happy with the situation, and one can argue Idzik might have expecetd that, or something even more embarassing. But he was more concerned about using the Vick signing as cover to support his own choice of Smith in the draft. See, even with competition my guy beat out Vick!

Sure, except he didn't beat Vick.

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If Mariota is available in the draft, we automatically trade him to the Bears or the Eagles: 7th or 20th pick
    Then we ask them them for a case of Milwaukee Ice for our 1st rounder.....

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong about Jameis but I think he beat a rape charge. I don't like the way Florida State and the state of FLA handled the case. It looks like they covered up for him because he's a football player and they had no chance at the National Championship without him. It's their priority but not mine.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Getting a QB in this draft is no sure thing.

Even if we get one, I still don't want Geno Smith starting - I want a veteran that plays the game professionally and holds himself accountable. I would easily take Brian Hoyer or Matt Moore over Geno Smith. Geno will lead us to another 4 5 win season.

I want to win next yr, sure we might be "rebuilding", but I'm rooting for this CS and FO to succeed so there's confidence all around. Losing will only make things worse.

Big Blocker and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JStokes

Yes it is if one of the top 2 is there.

Concur. I think I've come to grips with Matt Moore being our best option for next year.

_

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Matt Moore would be fine if we drafted a rookie and groomed him from the sidelines. Matt Moore would not be a good choice if we want to actually wins games.

18. JStokes

Oh yeah my hope and assumption is that we get either Mariota or Winston.

If our only fix for the QB position is Matt Moore I'll be severely disappointed.

_

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree, Moore is a good backup. I'd have no problem signing him as a backup but if he is our big move at QB this offseason to compete w/ Geno I will be disappointed.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think to get a guy like Moore you basically have to promise him the starting Qb job plus pay him around 5 mil per season. The Jets have the money and should overpay a little for a good vet Qb. There are a few other guys too like Hoyer and Shaun Hill (Hill could go cheaper). But not Mark Sanchez. Never again!