The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

That to me is more likely. Some guys develop it. Drew Brees improved enormously after 3 or 4 hearts but he was never as bad as Geno in the first place. Vinnie got good late, but again, he was better than Geno. Those guys threw a lot of picks early on.

2. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

As Bowles said, Geno is only 2 years in the league. Geno has improved throughout in a new system as well as with some of the worst weapons in the NFL (and with injuries to his two best receivers each year). In time I think he can be a good QB. If Geno can't retain coaches' knowledge, then that will be clear to staff and they'll do something about it.

#402 elgoman, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am not sure what you are talking about. can you please explain?

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="elgoman, post: 3194310, member: 21114 In time I think he can be a good QB. If Geno can't retain coaches' knowledge, then that will be clear to staff and they'll do something about it.[/QUOTE]

Time and ifs How much time is enough with a qb that continually makes the same mistakes? If he can retain? To date he has shown too little on the retention side. If this coaching staff can make him a pro qb they should go down as the greatest coaching staff in Jet history. All Jet fans like to think the players they draft will work out. On a position as important as a qb it is even more important. If he can't cut it this year he will join all the other qb's who failed and while he was thrown into playing immediately other qb's would love to have been given that chance. For your sake and all the other Jet fans that love him I really hope it works out.

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Is this thread still around? Wow.

chris5533 likes this.
  6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Actually the reason Geno finally played OK the the last four games of the last two seasons was we were out of it and Rex stopped fucking over the offense with his meddling hyper conservative BS. There is reason why ever QB under Rex and his 4 OCs..sucked....fucking .Rex

Let's be honest here. Bowles McCagnan and Gailey. They have no investment in Geno, lets see how they evaluate him

NCJetsfan and PulseJet like this.
  7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Aahhh one note Johnny.

Never Geno's fault, always someone else's fault.

_

FlaJet likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Rex had a lot to do with the ineptitude of the offense and the team in general, but Geno has to take a bunch of the blame as well. He either hasn't worked hard enough or is just plain lacking in football IQ and can't retain what he is taught.

FlaJet likes this.
  9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I am not really defending Geno as much as trying to point out that NO QB could succeed under Rex, especially as he exerted more and more of his influence over the offense to run his idiotic "ground and wildcat and put your QB in terrible situations" game plans. We do not know what Geno is, because of Rex. He very well may suck, but we cannot simply dismiss him out of hand at this point. He has too much skill.

10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

This...

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, and I would add how is what went down clear evidence of believing in Smith rather than an example of doubling down on the shaky draft pick in the first place? One must consider the context. It was not like only the Smith pick was subject to criticism. There was also Milliner, a big issue for the FO right through the 13 season. There were also problems with vet signings. Many here supported the decision to trade Revis, but now two years later it is obvious that Cb is a complete mess. In fact the only bright spots were Richardson and Ivory.

My point is that Idzik had good reason to be defensive about Smith. And here's another point - if Idzik had a real confidence in Smith, then how come he went through the whole charade of signing Vick only for there to be no real competition in camp and the pre-season? Why fear for your guy to not win that competition if you really believed in him?

No. The evidence does not support the notion that something like a real consensus of belief in Smith was dominant in Jetland last off season.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. In 13 it was a clear case of dumbing down the offense to avoid the risk of Smith turning the ball over. Look at the decline in ypa, and those paltry game passing totals. The offense got more conservative, not less. The facts are contrary to your defense of Smith.

I had plenty of issues with Ryan's effect on the offense. But to blame Smith's problems on the coaching is quite lame and inaccurate.

13. JStokes

You've been defending Geno for 2 years now. It made sense after his few games his rookie year but after that your defense of him was less about objectivity and more about blind loyalty. Since his implosion in 2013, you've been blaming everyone but Geno.

Yes we do know and it had very little to do with Rex.

Every QB ever to snap on a helmet in the NFL has skill.

Not being able to understand what goes on around you under pressure situations is what separates good QBs from below average QBs.

I've heard the red herring that his perfect game against the Fins PROVES he can be a good QB in this league.

That was a game where the Fins had just had their post season hopes dashed, nothing to play for, bags packed, tee times set and Geno was able to set his feet and stare down his first read, wait for him to get open and hit him in stride. Every QB should be able to do that.

When it matters and when teams are scheming and blitzing and mixing up coverages and are imparting the mayhem you'd expect from teams trying to win and make the playoffs?

Not so much.

_

Big Blocker likes this.
  14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We needed a real backup QB in case Geno faltered (which he did 3 picks vs Bills) we couldn't enter another season with Simms as the number 2. Was there "consensus of belief in Smith" more than likely not but I can bet that the majority believed in him. If they didn't believe in Smith, they would've drafted a qb at 18. Or if they didn't draft a qb at 18, they would've had a real competition between Smith and Vick. Or they would've pulled a Tampa Bay and just declare Vick the starter.

15. JStokes

And you'd lose.

_

16. The 1985er

Isn't there an entire front office that talks things over and comes to a decision on almost everything? There is no way everybody else but Idzik didn't believe in Smith and that Idzik pulled rank to force his guy into the starting job despite everybody else in the front office and coaching staff not on board with Smith. I can't buy that.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Good thing that front office got fired. Makes you wonder what kind of support Geno has now.

18. JStokes

Of course you can't.

Because you don't want to believe it.

_

19. The 1985er

We'll find out in due time.
    If Idzik pulled rank despite everyone else not on board with Smith then he deserved to be fired. I don't think he did that but then again neither one of us were there.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's unfortunate, but by the way things are going - I wouldn't be surprised to see us trout out Geno Smith WK1.