The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I don't know for certain what kind of coaching Geno got. Judging by Rex's past history I would assume it was probably not very good. But I do not know. I don't know how anyone can know that unless they are in the practices. Sometimes we think a QB is doing well when in reality the team has simplified his responsibilities. They did that with Mark and he had some good games in 2009. Then in 2010 they tried to give him more and he flubbed. So they went back to wristband QBing. It could also be what they did with Geno the last 2 seasons. He looked better because he was required to do less. I think the better likelihood is Geno stunk as a rookie because he was a rookie and just got better late that season because there was nowhere to go but up, and because they cut back on his responsibilities. Come Season 2, they try to pile more on his plate, he has a crap start, and only comes around when they clear that plate. To me, as a layman on the outside, it looks like Rex repeating the same mistake time after time with different QBs.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

What you heard via the press, in interviews with Geno and in training camp footage was the fact that Marty and Lee put a lot of time into Geno and he felt he was getting good coaching. And there's no reason to believe experienced coaches weren't going to teach him how to play the position and be a successful NFL Qb. But like Mark his crashing really is on him.

#382 pclfan, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look we suffered for five years (and it's still going on) with Mark's fans finding inane stats and blaming everybody in the world except Mark for his shitiness as a Qb. And now we have these motherfuckers doing the exact same thing for a guy whose done the impossible. Be worse than Mark Sanchez. So go back under your rock and most importantly fuck you!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I don't live under a rock. And this site is starting to get trashy. I never said either Mark or Geno were good or could have been good QBs. I said they were mishandled. Cannot blame MM and Lee for both mishandlings. If these guys could play reasonably when they were given less to do, maybe that is the way things should have started out for them. Maybe they could have given them the same limited playbook they did later in their developments and added things to it marginally, whenever it seemed they were ready. But the coaches did it in reverse. Then perhaps Mark could have developed into an average QB, and Geno to a slightly below average QB, instead of the two pukes they became.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I've been trolled before and not realized it but this jerkoff wins the prize. He got me.

My favorite college QB over the past 3 years is black, but, yeah I don't like our QB because he is black.

I liked our Mexican QB. I wanted our black backup QB last year to start. Now I want a half white QB or a black QB in this draft.

But I don't like our QB because he is black.

Holy crap.

_

#385 JStokes, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nope sorry GS PROVED without a doubt he does not take his job seriously with his off the field antics like missing meetings etc. It smacks of total immaturity on GS part & he deserved every bit of negative press printed or aired about him. JMHO :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

You are totally correct. What has that got to do with the way he has been coached????

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

That was not specific to you so don't take offense. It was a group shout out esp to Mark's apologists who have been sticking their heads in the sand for 5 years now. But now we are seeing the same thing from the few Geno advocates. Just judge him on his performances that's all I ask. And don't play the blame game. Geno-the guy is delusional. He says he's a Pro Bowl Qb. Yeah in the Arena2 League maybe.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Bottom line Geno turns the ball over.

Until he can take care of the ball he will be criticized and rightfully so.

10. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I don't advocate for geno or mark as I'm completely indifferent to both of them. I was happy when both were selected and thought maybe we got our guy. Sanchez played well enough to help get them deep in the playoffs, geno at times has shown flashes of looking good.. Then like on cue they both fell off a cliff and looked like the worts qbs in the nfl while playing here.

I don't know if it's the media scrutiny of playing in New York, or was terrible coaching by the jets. Something isn't right and I find it hard to believe two guys with potential fell off so badly. There is some common denominator here. Just my opinion.. Or it could just be the jets are completely unlucky and got two guys with similar mental make ups. Lol who knows.. But after these 2 clowns I'm petrified of the jets drafting another qb.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's an imprecise science. For all the guys screaming for us to draft a "franchise Qb" a good percentage of guys selected very high not just in New York have been mediocre to fair NFL Qbs. And of course you have your disasters like Jamarcus Russell who was rated better than many Qbs over the years. So that's why I say sign a good vet Qb who has shown he knows how to play the position and build up the infrastructure. The Qb position to me is way overrated. You obviously need someone competent but you don't need a great thrower, a guy who they say can make all of the throws including the long passing game. Many Os now are short passing game orientated. And bombs are few and far between.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I agree.. Why I'm hoping the jets leverage the pick and get foles. I'd rather a proven guy than a rookie.

13. championjets69

Well U have to ASSUME that MM & his assistants attempted to coach up GS but most likely his immaturity prevented the lessons from getting thru to Geno. Again JMHO :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Or Geno is just a bad Qb. He can disprove that this season. But he isn't starting!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

When did Geno "come around when they clear that plate"? "He looked better when he was required to do less" ????? Oh my Gosh ..should not have asked poor Geno to throw a pass . See, there's the INT!! Toldya so. Should have stuck to the running around in circles play lol

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

If I were to perform psychoanalysis on Geno, which I am not qualified to do, I would surmise that he suffers from a HUGE inferiority complex. When I hear him talk I hear a lot of phony bravado, and not just the All Pro comment. Geno is always trying to tell us how cool he is, how unphased by pressure, and then we see him running backwards out of the pocket in a game. Some people are just not aware of how they look or sound. Most QBs are pretty cocky, confident guys. Even if they are not stars. I have always felt that Geno's confidence is bogus, so I turn him off when he comes to the podium after games. Watching guys embarrass themselves makes me uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I have to watch the games.

17. championjets69

Just spit balling here but just maybe GS lacks the ability to pick up the material being given to him by the NYJ staff:mad:

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think sometimes processing the info is not the process. I think he understands what is needed. He just does not possess the kind of confidence to execute under fire. If he really did not understand the material he would never succeed. After all, he does run things right some of the time. It is the under pressure decision that escapes him.

19. championjets69

Just spit balling again but maybe he does not have the capability to make split second decisions:mad:

#399 championjets69, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  20. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Just curious. Can anyone name a player that came here during Rex's tenure, and turned it around, or got better?

I guess you could say Mo or Richardson, but those guys are talented. I think they would succeed anywhere.

How many busts? Wilson, Gholston, Milner, Hill, Coples (to some extent) Sanchez, Geno.

In six years I cannot think of one guy that you can say was a steal or a find. That my friend is shitty coaching.