The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

It's the same thing with the local sports media, whether it's players, coaching staff or front office, they practice a zero patience, instant gratification culture where either someone delivers right away or they gather round like a bunch of buzzards over a corpse. The thing with Geno is that he really shouldn't have been starting last year, and possibly this year as he was really raw and unprepared coming in. Does anyone remember that Giants preseason game where Sanchez got injured and Geno went in? Holy crap, he looked lost there. Say what you will about his struggles in 2014, and he was by no means a great QB or anything, but I saw a lot of progress since that guy in 2013 preseason. He has improved in pretty much every category in his 2nd year, significantly in some (12TD-21INTs to 13TDs-13INTs for example) and considering our other options at the moment, unless we somehow get Winston/Mariota, Geno is pretty much a no-brainer as the best option for our starting QB next year. We should see if he can improve in year 3 the same way as he did in year 2, and if he does, he will start approaching average NFL QB territory. I would also really like to see him get a year under his belt on a team without Rex as the head coach and on a team with a good receiving core throughout the season (Decker, Harvin, Kerley, Amaro, etc). Maybe nothing will change, but maybe with a more offensive minded offense, he might do better.

hornblower likes this.
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If you think Geno has taken the most criticism you haven't paid attention. I think the media has been pretty fair w/ him actually relative to what he has actually done.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez was the 3rd highest Qb in the league for a few years. He was overpayed.

Geno is not good, but he is not overpaid. Terrible argument.

Also, eating hotdogs on the sideline is worse than missing a meeting. /s

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Axel3419

I think your perception of the media is morphed by being a NY fan. If Geno were on the Bucs or Titans, he would not be ridiculed to the extent that he has. I think he would be given more of a chance to "develop" by both the media and fans.

Oh well.

hornblower and The 1985er like this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was going to make the same point. I'm pretty sure MS got a bit more thrashing then Geno and he went to back to back AFCCG's

6. nyjunc

do you live in Tennessee or near TB? how would you know what goes on there? Geno is big news here b/c we live here and are paying attention to everything said and written. 2 time SB MVP Eli Manning has talent more abuse from fans and the media in this area than Geno has.

7. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

And Geno was credited by the media for playing well and putting up a couple of wins. But this doesn't exhibit criticism being unfair for the wretched performances Geno threw out there prior to this. After the first Buffalo game with three interceptions in the first quarter should we have all given him a hug instead?

8. nyjunc

he wasn't really bashed late in the year.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It really doesn't matter because if the Jets have any chance at all to pick up, trade for or draft a starter Geno Smith will be gone in a heartbeat and that has nothing to do with the media.

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

For anyone that thinks Geno is getting a bad deal I present to you the quarterback statistics from the first matchup we had with the Buffalo Bills this year.

Passing Leaders

BUF C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
    Orton 10/17 238 14.0 4 0 4-25
    NYJ C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
    Vick 18/36 153 4.3 0 1 4-21
    Smith Completions 2/ Attempts 8 Passing Yards 5 Yards per attempt 0.6 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks 0 Lost 0

For the record, no the Bills were not a playoff team this year.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Before you suggest Sanchez was not a positive part of our 2 playoff runs, you should re-watch those games. He only played better than any QB in NY Jet history. Regular season, he stunk. But playoffs? You got to give him that.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If you can't take the heat , get out of the kitchen.

13. nyjunc

I am not excusing his awful play that day but Buffalo had a big time D this year. They didn't missed the playoffs b/c of their D.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ghost troll strikes again!

15. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

When you look at the Schedule that comes out each year we all do the Win, Win Loss Win Loss game. But
    with Geno as the QB do you stop yourself and and say "can he really win this game or that game". And that is why a
    change is needed.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think it's because he went to the AFCCG's. People expected more, but he was really carried by the run and D.

17. nyjunc

The D and run game was vastly overrated especially by year 2. The D led us both times but w/o quality QB play you aren't winning 4 road playoff games. The rush #s were skewed by some blowouts against some awful run Ds and garbage time runs. In 2010 the run game was very inconsistent and the O was carried by the pass O and a major reason we won 11 games.

Again, the D was reason #1 we made both title games(and lost both) but the QB was vital to each run.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think its mixed for the most part. Some of the criticism Geno does bring upon himself. Some of it are by people with an agenda of an axe to grind.

19. Axel3419

C'mon Junc. You can't be serious.

I'm not calling you ignorant, but to say that the New York sports media is anything close to fair (on any topic, not just Geno) is completely, 100% absurd.

New York city is the world's largest media market. What that means is there are more reporters, more newspapers, more blogs, and more opinions because it's easier to make money in New York through reporting on sports than in any other city in the entire country. Additionally, the Jets are not even the "hometown hero" of NY; the Giants are, so the Jets don't even have any homer newspapers to advocate for its behalf, unlike every other city in the entire country.

And we literally have the opposite - media who use their voice to denigrate our leadership and influence the team because they have some sort of axe to grind; just look at what Manish Mehta has done throughout his entire "career" in New York, particularly over the past few months.

I haven't lived in Tennessee or TB but I have lived in Ohio, and let me tell you: the media isn't perfect, but it is completely and irrevocably more positive and less sensationalist than in New York.

In New York every move is scrutinized; every off-hand comment and off-the-field "incident." When Mark Sanchez brought a model back to his apartment, it was reported on. Same with Rex Ryan and his feet. When he ate a freaking hotdog on the sidelines, it was reported on. That doesn't happen in Cleveland, or TB, or any other city in the entire country save maybe L.A. (for the Lakers and Clippers).

Maybe you've just lived in NY your entire life, but your perception of the media is blinded. New York is an exception, not the rule. If Geno Smith was drafted by Tennessee, he would be talked about as a developing asset, despite his downsides. But this goes way beyond Geno Smith, and if you can't see that I suggest you start looking up the local newspapers of every sports team in the country and compare them to the NY Daily News, Manish Mehta, etc.

4jetfans likes this.
  20. nyjunc

this isn't a college town where the fans and media are rah-rah. it's a tough place to play but I didn't see anything unfair for Geno compared to what he actually did. I have seen great players attacked and booed so Geno should be able to handle his deserved criticism.

Do you think Jake Locker has had a good time in Tennessee?

NYJetsO12 likes this.