The Mangini appreciation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Angry Teste, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

and their records to date right now???? I have a feeling this year will be the turning point in your ledger.

Still am glad Herm is gone.

I was really excited to see the plays that were called, and even more excited to see Farve more comfortable in our system. Supposedly we have an easy schedule the next few games, but by then, Farve will completely know the system-and have us poised to make the playoffs.

Yup=I said playoffs.

2. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

I dunno who is at fault, but this usually gets pinned back on the Head Coach:

The play calling on offense needs to be consistent. Consistent, in that your QB is not a conservative player. Bottle him up like the packers are doing with Rodgers, or like you had to do with Pennington due to his physical limitations, and your going to see him taking those 50/50 shots everytime he gets a chance, because he realizes he may not get a chance to make a significant play the rest of the way.

I am not saying go deep every play, I am saying enough of the easy dump offs. WR screens netting 3 yards. Enough. We saw when he opened up the passing game that things can happen, so why not now? So what if they were taking away the deep ball, they were also taking away those quick hits. Thats when you go medium range, but I forgot, Mangini's offense thinks slants are just for the west coast system.

EDIT: Also, the jury is still out on Mangini. While I understand people didn't Like herm Edwards, was he really the problem? He had a decent record with the Jets over 2 seasons, and Mangini, outside of coming from Belicheats team of coaches, has really no credence to him as a head coach. He hasn't done a whole lot. He hasn't made this team turn the corner.

If you step back and just glance at this Jets roster - Any coach is 3-2 right now. it's impossible to screw it up that bad. favre wouldn't allow the offense to not score points no matter what the play calling is, and the defense couldn't be any worse really anyways.

Regardless, I can't appreciate a guy who has done nothing in the league so far as a head coach. Wait until not even this season, but the next few, when all these quick fix one or two year bandaids retire/leave for FA and see how he can really handle coaching. He was handed a hell of a roster this year.

#42 packerbacker1234, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Ex-Herm lover reporting in.

I still believe that he is an effective coach if taking over a loaded team that simply needs motivation. He's not a good tactician, but he knows how to get a team focused.

With that said, I'm still happy that Herm is gone. As for Mangini, I'm still wavering, but leaning towards the positive. He seems to learn from his mistakes. I don't ever ask a guy to not make a mistake; I just don't want a guy making teh same mistake twice.

I think Mangini will work out OK, but I need to see some more from him before I jump on his bandwagon.

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Mangini needs to be appreciated as far as looking at where the organization is today compared with where Herm left it. Mangini working with the front office has drastically changed the culture, drafted extremely well and brought free agents that fit the system they want to run.

As a coach we knew when we hired him it was going to take time for him to become a good head coach. Any first time coach has a learning curve not to mention that he was very young to be hired.

I will take a Mangini team that is focused and disciplined over a Herm team any day of the week.

5. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

How can you not appreciate how the team is responding to him? In his third year now, Mangini has won the team over. Coles is not complaining about practices being too physically demanding, guys have put the word out around the league that this is a good place to play. Otherwise, we don't sign Faneca. Favre stays away, etc.

We haven't seen the best yet in my humble opinion. All the pieces are close to being in place now.

Herm had no continuity with his coaching staff. He hired and fired coordinators when he found himself in a bind. We have had continuity and I believe that is important as well.

6. Angry Teste

I'm wondering what everyone is thinking NOW? Brett is more comfortable with the offense, finding several different options to paass to. My only gripe is that I find myself yelling "Run the friggin ball!". I can't remember ever yelling that. Brett appears not to be making too many mistakes lately. Although when he lofted that long pass to Cotchery, I was like "Here comes the token INT". But we lucked out.

We need to take advantage of having the leading rusher in the AFC, along with the 2nd punch of Leon. It's really great seeing our new TE being utilized, and feel that we are going to use him to create more mismatches. With every game under his belt, Brett becomes more comfortable.

I know we won't see Champ for a while. Still waiting to hear again how Herm gets his teams focused...
    [​IMG]
    focused on LOSING!

The Titans are our real test. I will be at the game, so if anyone else is going--PM me. I hope we walk away with another W.:beer:

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Mangini = the Shit.

He's had just as much to do with changing the way this organization views itself as anything else. After all, in the end he and Tanny build the roster and add the guys with that "swagger."

He knows exactly what he wants in a player, and goes out and gets it. And the players play for him.

I personally enjoy the ride Mangini's taking us on, and I think it's eventually going to lead to the big prize. Shit, that big prize could happen as soon as this year. But I'll stop being ridiculous at this point. I should remain skeptical so I don't appear to like my team and the guys running it well "too much."

8. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

I wouldn't go that far, lets see if he can first bring us then win a superbowl, then he is better than parcells

9. JetsLookingforDWare

I don't care about better...that'll come...he's just the coach with the most common sense...Groh had some but the NY pressure seemed to get to him alot more.

Mangini's got a great head on his shoulders...it'd be really obvious too if we weren't a NY team. A good, stable head is something this franchise has desperately needed.

Theres no blame game with Mangini like there was with Herm. That alone says alot about his character and intelligence IMO...stability is such an underrated thing around here.

#49 JetsLookingforDWare, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  10. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

How about winning just 1 playoff game? Lets start there.

Herm won 2.
    Tuna won 1.

11. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

To me, Mangini is just like Bush, he seems great when things are going well, but when things go bad his refusal to change or admit to the need for change makes you turn against him. Admit it, if there had been no 9/11, no Iraq war, most of us would think Bush was a really cool guy.

12. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Put me down as a huge Mangini fan..Here is a few of the reasons..The Jets are always prepared for every game and "situations" which is what the NFL is`all about, .There hasn't even been a hint of clock mismanagement under Eric's watch..Remember that problem Jet fans.. and we still see all over the NFL.

Eric and Mike are on the SAME page..That is a huge asset to the Jets..They have a plan and belief system and a type of player they want and we are seeing the dividends of high character,disiplined players whom are numerous for our NY JETS..They have changed the culture of this organzation for the better. This is undenible.

Mike an Eric are the new cutting edge GM/coach of the NFL..The Jets are on there way.everyone knows this around the country..These two never sit still ,there always looking under every rock and stone to see what can be done to help their team

Fans can come on this site and 2nd guess play calling..thats what fans do..but objective intelligent people who look at the overall picture see an extremely professionally run organzation with two very bright young men at the helm with an unlimited future.

Am I happy about our NY JETS..I'm estatic...

Put me down as a Mangini/Tannenbaum fan.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I do like Mangini, but with a better brain trust, he could be up there with a lot of the elite coaches in the league.

I know this is a what if, but IF he had a defensive institution like a LaBeau that Tomlin has, he'd be up there with Mike Tomlin. He'd be in the same breath as the other coaches with immense respect. I don't think Schotty goes anywhere, those two seem to like each other and if Schotty continues to grow and rebels from his fathers philosophy he'll actually win in the playoffs.... Its the DC that needs to change. Since Sutton was almost fired last year, I wouldn't be shocked if Mangini tries to find another DC again this year. Maybe Rob Ryan finally gets the boot. You wanna see a pissed off non-pussy defense that Rob Ryan gcommands combined with the discipline not to commit penalities? Damn, thats a defense.

14. tzaf1975

tzaf1975 New Member

i hope Dallas fire wade philips at the end of the year
    sign him asap as the DC

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

not a terrible idea, he is more of a DC than a HC. His cupcake style clashes with Mangini's hard nose philisophy, but he'll be the coordinator and have little to say.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mangini still has to learn how to make adjustments during games. He still has to learn how to make his team play for 4qtrs instead of 2. Mangini still has to learn how to get in his assistants asses when they fck up and make rediculous decisions..

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

The guy is a 3rd year coach that has never played as a pro, spent 1 year as a coordinator. Not a very impressive resume.

What was he tasked with? Rebuilding a team, while still trying to placate to the most bipolar fans in the known universe.

How has he done? Looks damn good to me. You don't have to compare him to anything other than reality to see the guy is a good coach and a major upgrade over anything that's been here since the big fish.

With that said, I can fefel free to take liberties on Herm. Screw him, he sucks. Always did, always will.

18. Angry Teste

What is everyone saying today? Knocking off the Titans is a huge step, especially after the win over the Pats.

GO JETS!!!!!!!

19. JetsLookingforDWare

He's got to keep the team motivated. They better not fucking sit back on their heels. Fucking pedal to the metal...we got 8 games left.

20. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I'm glad this thread keeps being recycled every so often. I don't see too many of the naysayers posting now.

I see a lot of the same things going well for the Jets over the past few weeks. The consistency must be through good coaching.

Keep up the good work Eric and staff.