The Jets are very close to having a great RT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 22, 2006.

1. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

2. Salz

Salz New Member

I'd defiently rather sign a center and move Kendall back to guard than vice versa. Kendall is much more comfortable at guard. I'd like this Mangold kid, but if Carpenter is available, we should take him instead. Maybe Mangold will be available in the 2nd round.

3. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

If the Jets draft Leinart, I think they'd have to shift Runyan to the left side and move AJ back to RT. Runyans strength is run blocking, he should not be put on Leinart's blindside facing the defense's top passrusher.

4. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Usually the defenses top pass rusher is on the right-side...And AJ was below average at RT, do you really want him covering Matt's blindside?

5. DGrab

DGrab New Member

why b/c leinart played with what 8 other pro's on O and Cutler played with maybe none. i like leinart and i'm not sold on cutler but its not a no brainer to move up.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Uh - is that a good thing?

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

In no way does Runyan = Leinart. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Not only on the surface is it ridiculous, but also considering that Runyan is not a big time pass protector, he's a run blocking guy.

8. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Runyan = Stop Gap.

Seems the arm chair GM brigade has pronounced Runyan a HOF tackle here. He's 33 Years old and wasn't brought back in Philly for a reason(outside the fact that he was a FA). He's old and on the downside of a career. Just because he Might sign here does not mean we're drafting Lienart. It means we are looking to sign a OT who is a Vet, better than Fabini, and will be here for like 2 maybe 3 years... Thats it, nothing more nothing less fellas...

Ellis

9. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Gawd first it was the Cutler train now everyones on Leinhart's jock geez... no QB in first round, need to see what Chad and Ramsey can do. No need to risk your entire draft on one pick when you can get 2 very good starters.

10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I speculated that I would win the lotto. Too bad that didn't work out.

The people who are speculating are armchair GMs here and the sportswriters that have no story right now and need to meet a deadline. This FO has been quiet about EVERYTHING. The Jets FO is now under lock and key under this new regime. How would these sportswriters know anything we don't? The only guy I might give a little credence too is Peter King because it seems he has a mole in every clubhouse in the league.

Think about this though. If they are this tight-lipped, maybe when something is released it is for a smoke screen. I find it funny how no one knew about the Abe trade, but EVERYONE knows they are having a private workout for all QBs and Williams. But the only top 5 prospect never mentioned is Brick. Could it be that this is too get people speculate they are taking a QB, but their target is Brick? I don't know. I am just guessing. I am speculating. :grin:

#50 dabrowsk1, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  11. lightning

lightning Active Member

it certainly aint making me feel better :)

12. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Surprised it took to the 3rd page before people started making some sense. If anything Runyan coming means they won't go after Leinart. Runyan is a much better run blocker then pass blocker. He's not the type to protect the blindside. I would love this move though. Ideally draft D'Brick and move Jones to LG and you've got a pretty solid o-line.

13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why people say Runyan can't pass block. He went against Straham twice a year every year and won most of the battles.

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Strahan is the last guy you want to use as an example of Runyan as a pass blocker. Strahan has 11 sacks in his last 9 games (last 5 years) against Runyan. Other than when he faces Strahan, Runyan is a solid pass blocker. But he is a much better run blocker, and to think that Runyan's signing would make it obvious that the Jets will move up for Leinart is ridiculous.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That still doesn't mean he is our longterm answer. We could possibly draft a replacement in the 3rd/4th rather than the 2nd, but that doesn't mean we don't need to draft a right tackle even if he does sign.

He struggles in pass protection because he has trouble setting up fast enough. Still a big behemoth run blocker though.

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I think we're getting Leinart

I have a feeling we're getting Leinart based on some of the events of the past few days. First, the Jets probably would have been able to trade Abe, their 3rd, and their 4th to the Falcons for the #15 because that's what they took from the Broncos who had lower picks in those rounds anyway. That's definetly a better deal than getting the 29th, but Tannenbaum probably wanted to keep his later picks to use in a package to get to #2. According to the PVC, the number 2 pick is worth 2600 points. Our 4th + the 29th = 2440 points. It would take our third to make up the 160 point difference, plus we would get a later pick.

Yes, Tannenbaum probably could've gotten the 15 and packaged it with the for the 2, but we would've been left with only two picks in a very deep draft in the first four rounds (not couting comp.) If Tannenbaum wanted 2 first round picks, he probably would've taken the deal for the 15th, but I think he wants to trade up for Leinart. The only thing that makes you unsure is the Ramsey deal, but we only gave up a 6th so why not, it's good depth. Leinart wants to play here and the Saints won't take him. Just my opinion, a deal could be in the works.

17. lightning

lightning Active Member

Nice post, also runyan may be a sign. Theres also the signs that came a while ago when shotty was hired.

18. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

If it his happens i will be surprised why get ramsey, when we have bolly and penny?

But i wont be mad because leinart is real good, even though he has a weak arm.

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

1. he does not have a weak arm
    2. ramsey was brought in because chad will most likely not be ready to go
    3. they probably have no faith in bolly
    4. penny's a dick

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mangini will not draft Leinart simply b/c Leinart is a prima donna "me" kind of guy that Mangini detests.