The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can attest to this, mainly because any man that goes to sleep next to a latina takes full responsibility for his actions in her dreams, no matter how unreasonable or utterly stupid. Like for real.

Sundayjack likes this.
  2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Pleasantly surprised by The Gentlemen on Netflix. Guy Ritchie getting back to his roots. It’s as close to Snatch in a series as you’ll ever get. Has a lot of the same types of criminal
    characters. Gypsies, underground boxing, UK organized crime, toothless thugs, criminal-adjacent community, etc. Good stuff.

abyzmul and Savatage like this.
  3. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Thx-I'm going to start The Gentlemen tonight.

Sundayjack likes this.
  4. abyzmul

I started it last night and I'm a few episodes in. I like it. Early thoughts are that it has the same feel to his early movies but it's much lighter fare. Not so much in the drugs, killing or gangsters departments, but it's just not as rude or ugly as stuff like Lock, Stock or Snatch. Maybe it's the whole royals angle. Or maybe that's as close to old Guy Ritchie as you can get after Madonna drank all of his life juices.

Kaya Scodelario is a hottie. Kind of like what Princess Kate would be like without the oak branch up her ass.

Sundayjack and Savatage like this.
  5. Sundayjack

She’s fantastic. Although, if you can get past the obvious drawbacks, Lady Chop Chop is a solid second choice.

I didn’t realize when I started the Netflix series that Guy Ritchie made a 2019 movie by the same name, with Matthew McConaughey. I haven’t yet finished the series. Stopped to watch the movie. Curiosity, mostly. Different story arc, but they share the same basic concept - weed farms under noble estates. The movie is mediocre and so half-baked. The series is clearly a do-over and a return to Snatch/Lock Stock roots. For me, the best part of those movies is how one unintended fuck-up causes a chain reaction that drives the whole plot line. There’s nothing like that in the movie.

6. Sundayjack

Count all the common themes, props, scenes that give you visions of Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Except all the gypsy references are a bit more woke.

Savatage likes this.
  7. abyzmul

So I just finished the season and it was enjoyable. Not as unpredictable as Ritchie's early movies but it was a really tight production, excellent dialogue and they did a great job with the casting. Hopefully there will be a few seasons to develop the story.

Lots of opportunities for colorful bad guys. Eccentric gang bosses are like his trademark.

#507 abyzmul, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Sundayjack likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just finished "Clickbait". Excellent thriller and only an 8 episode series so you can binge till your heart's content.

9. Sundayjack

I finished it last night. Definitely worth a watch, but I kinda think I might be so numb to all the dreck out there that I'm starting to rate streaming shows a curve. Like, anything that keeps my interest past episode one starts with a C+ and works upward. With this one, we're comparing it to Guy Ritchie's prior work. On that scale, probably a B-.

10. abyzmul

I usually have a 2 episode rule and a spidey sense for personal red flags. I think it's from being forced to watch garbage for an unfortunate span of time, like a slow-motion years-long playback of the brainwashing scene A Clockwork Orange. Just with bad television instead of murders and rapes.

This one passed muster pretty easily though. I think I need to scale back my binging though, they are starting to blend together.

Not sure if I mentioned it on here, but Kleo on Netflix was great. Cool euro spy show. The main actor Jella Haase isn't what I'd call a classic beauty, but the character is great and she's so good in the role that I wanted to bang her brains out by the last episode.

By the way, I just rolled over some medical grade grass so I'm not responsible for anything I post for the next 2 hours.

Savatage likes this.
  11. Sundayjack

I actually watched Kleo twice. Once because it looked interesting - and was. A second time because my brother texted me that I “had to watch Kleo.” Sounds stupid, I know, but I had “Clio” set in my head, so I started the same series a second time before I figured out what it was and I just kept going.

On the other thing - if you’d be good enough to keep posting while you rip through a pile of high grade weed, it’d spare me the time I’ll spend screwing around trying to find a new and slightly less crappy TV series. I’d owe you.

12. abyzmul

Ha, this was more like a farewell spliff for a buddy that just got shitcanned, I leave the piles of weed to the professionals these days. Nobody can be worth a shit smoking that stuff on the regular.

13. abyzmul

Season 1 of Alice in Borderland was mostly tolerable and somewhat entertaining. Season 2 is like 1000 plot holes within one giant plot hole.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Really? I liked all of it to be honest. Definitely some plot holes though.

15. abyzmul

Personal preference I guess. When you're expected to suspend disbelief to such a high degree, I prefer that the rules don't only make sense when it's convenient.
    If they are constantly being hunted by one face card, why do visas matter? Aren't they always in a game?

16. Sundayjack

I’m about to start Sugar on AppleTV unless someone stops me in 3……2…….1……

17. abyzmul

Let me know. It takes a lot for me to push through the Colin Farrell Barrier.

Has anyone watched Manhunt? I watched the first episode last night and can't tell if it's sneaky good or if it blows yet.

18. Sundayjack

I motored through the first three episodes of Sugar. I might go back after the full series has dropped, but I’m done with it for now. So …. slow….. moving. I’ll be damned if I’m going to let AppleTV hold back the story just to string me along from week to week. Plus, they’re trying to do a modern version of the 1940-50s film noir detective drama. Apologies for the asshole term but if you watch Sugar you’ll get why I had to. What you get from that is a constant Colin Farrell narration. That got really annoying, really fast. I’ll probably go back to it once the entire series is out, if only to find out the point behind a story they’re doing everything possible to not tell us.

I’ve seen most of Manhunt. Which is how I got sucked into Sugar. Kind of of a speed watch. The concept is brilliant - the execution, not so much. But that’s just me. They’re trying to tell the story of Edwin Stanton unraveling a larger conspiracy behind the assassination of Lincoln, which could never be done in a 2-hour movie. I just think the producers were over-ambitious. A lot of unnecessary bullshit. Muddled the storyline. Plus, I know where they over-dramatized some of the history, and that bothered me. But whatever.

Overall, I’d rate it two and a half Joe Kleckos.

19. abyzmul

Sugar sounds like a garlic necklace, I'm gonna hold off until I hear rave reviews awesome ending blahblah before I power through that narration.

Exactly the reasons you mention are why I had alarms bells ringing. Well that and that shrimp Patton Oswalt. There's lots of political history to choose from there without inserting modern political justice, but they somehow manage to sneak in comments here and there with the dialogue. I'm finishing ep4 right now and just realized it's not all released yet. Apple charges too much to make us wait for stuff.

#519 abyzmul, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  20. Sundayjack

Funny, I almost mentioned my problem with Patton Oswalt. He’s so out of place in that series.