The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Except for the chainsaw hand/shotgun and all the sight gags.

He's also noticeably more profane and non-PC than Sam was.

I guess the real difference is that Sam Axe was PG-13 and Ash Williams is MA-17 and Bruce Campbell is much more natural in MA-17.

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Okay, I’ma say this and I don’t care who hears -

I was scrolling through the cable menu the other day and landed on The A-Team movie.

I didn’t hate it.

I didn’t hate it so much so that I went back and watched a few episodes from the tv series. That shit is solid! Except, among the several reasons I hesitated posting about this - the show chock to the gills with toxic masculinity, light racism, guns, violence - the whole Megillah. So, if George Peppard dressed in black face or as an old Chinese dry cleaner isn’t your thing, move along.

Before you do, just know that Peppard spends the first 20 minutes of the pilot dressed up in a swamp monster costume. So, take a pass f you must, but at your own expense.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember loving that movie, although I was a kid and bad television doesn't exist when you're young.

The A Team invented Trick My Truck. Every week you got a new armored death machine, even though somehow nobody ever died. They just got thrown 10 feet by B.A. Barracus.

4. abyzmul

I had been holding off on Apple TV but went ahead and subscribed and started with Ted Lasso which is predictably excellent. Jason Sudeikis really knows what he is doing, everything he touches is gold. And Juno Temple has transformed herself into one foxy broad. All of the story arcs are good for the most part, even the characters I thought would be annoying.

I started on Servant but I really have trouble getting into anything M Night does şo I stopped that one for now. It's good but far more cringy than I feel like watching.

I'm one season into Mythic Quest and love it. It was bumpy at first, and really felt like it was trying to be a hybrid of Sunny and Community, but it settled in and is getting really good. The quarantine episode was great. Probably will try Severance next.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. Br4d

M Night is an acquired taste, one that I have almost always spit out after a few nibbles.

There's only so much you can do with mood, atmosphere and the occasional morsel of actual plot and M Night lives on the cusp of being a storyteller who exploits all of the aforementioned without ever actually telling a bloody story.

If you took Joss Whedon's storytelling ability and combined it with M Night's "ooh, look the fog!" tendencies you might actually get a good film now and then.

Not a huge fan of Whedon either but at least there's a story arc to follow in his stuff.

Cman68 and abyzmul like this.
  6. abyzmul

Usually the quirky guys get the best of themselves. One that I think hasn't is David Fincher. I even like his bad stuff.

Br4d likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Like a choker stat compiler QB, All his movies seem great until he shits the bed in the 4th qtr.....

Br4d likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Sixth Sense was a fantastic movie. I really enjoyed Signs as well. It wasn't as good as the Sixth Sense but it was close (for me at least.) I did see the Village and the Lady in the Water. They were ok.

REVISion likes this.
  9. Br4d

The Sixth Sense is the only one of his films that I have liked. And of course once you know the secret it has no replay value at all. The reason the first viewing is good is that Bruce Willis and Joel Haley Osmont are so good in it.

Also to give M Night some credit the misdirection and cinematography are really quite good.

Signs got the perfect review from one of the movie night reviewers who said the only horror in it was when he realized he had wasted $15 bucks and spent 2+ hours watching it.

10. bicketybam

To each their own, I guess.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I predicted the Sixth Sense when he was sitting at the restaurant with his wife. I'm that good.

I don't really care for M Night movies. I thought The Village got a bad rap, probably one of his better movies in my opinion. Signs was a big whatever for me.

My favorite thing about Lady in the Water was that after it bombed and people panned it, his reason was that it was a bedtime story for his kids or something. I'm sure the movie studio that shelled out millions to make it were thrilled to hear that

#211 JackBower, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    phubbadaman likes this.
  12. Br4d

We need a Cloverfield series.

All the movies have been good but we need something to go 7 seasons. There's nothing like Cloverfield out there.

And dammit I need to binge about 7 seasons of Cloverfield right now to to push all the rotten news away.

13. abyzmul

Nevermind. Season 2 is terrible so far.

14. Br4d

On a past note: if you haven't watched The Expanse yet put it #1 on your list.

I've watched every season as it released and this time I decided to start again from season #1. Damned if it didn't keep me up half the night last night. I think it's the best hard Sci-Fi anybody has done for TV.

JackBower and abyzmul like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Any "HALO" fans in the group?? I can't wait for the stream to begin on 3/22!!

bicketybam likes this.
  16. bicketybam

Huge fan. Played almost every game and enjoyed the web series that came out with Halo 4. I hope they don't screw this up.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. abyzmul

Yes sir. I kept waiting for the drop-off season and the only thing reassembling it was a little hokey-ness in the final 2 episodes, but nothing unforgivable. Very heartening what they were able to do with a cast of mostly nobodies. (although there were some solid veteran actors that made appearances)
    Not really but I never played League of Legends either and the show that Netflix put out recently was stellar. Video game adaptations are starting to turn a corner.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm slowly letting "Picard: Season 2" go. Not really into the time travel back to the 21st century. Seems like a way to save cash on CG more than anything else. I was surprised they brought back the Borg Queen and Q. The story line is already starting to get stale..

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Bummed out it was quasi cancelled. There was a lot more story left from the books.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a lot more out of it.... even though I've never read the books.
    The plot was ridiculously thin... the acting wooden. The big joke was that a black guy liked the band Kansas?

And you're right... he walks like he's in leg chains.

They need to take it up a few notches...