The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I'm deathly afraid that Geno will play just well enough to warrant the starting job but will never develop beyond "meh" thus wasting four more years.

Basically, I'm worried he'll be Vince Young.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Your point is that Mehta & Co. will be just fine contunuing what they are doing regardless of Jets actions, right?
    It's true only to some extend. So long as Jets are percieved circus, their stories will have legs and they will do fine indeed. The problem will start when Jets will become better. I hope you agree that this will happen sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

What will they do when Jets have continuing sustained success? They won't be able to continue their "Rex is clown", "Woody is an idiot", "Sanchez is inept" and "Geno is immature" lines when Sanchez is not on the team, hiring Idzik will turn out to be Woody's brillinat move, Rex's D. is stellar and Geno is a competent QB.

The difference between Jets beat writers and Inquirer is that Inquirer's targets are subject to continuoius change while Ciminis are restricted to one topic only -- the Jets. Sure, they could choose to continue the negativity, there is always a decision you can find that is worth criticism, but when the team is successfull there is no longer validity to this, they'll look like simple-minded nitpickers.

I'd love to see Jets cutting the voltures out. There will be success eventually and I want to see them starve when there are no easy anon sources and continuous feeding.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about it. I'm pretty sure Idzik will continue drafting QBs in later rounds of every draft so there won't be putting all egs in Geno's basket. There will be continuous competition and the best man will get the job.

4. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

hope so.

/sanchezsucks

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets start winning the negative press lines will have much less selling power in the local market. At that point it becomes really tough for the muckrakers to sell here.

I think nationally it's going to take prolonged success to change the anti-Jets meme though.

I remember the Raiders meme from the 80's pretty vividly. Al Davis was moving around like a carnival on fire and the Raiders had a bad dirty play image anyway and it was just really tough for them to get any positive press at all outside area they were in.

From Jack Tatum to Lester Hayes the Raiders just got no love at all. Hayes didn't even get hit on for rough play, he got hit on for putting a ton of stickum on his gloves and then draping his hands and arms all over the receivers until they were like covered in goo. He would put his hand across the facemask of a wide receiver and when he pulled his hand away it looked like a spider had been laying a web on the facemask.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

What part of Geno's game is like Vince's? They ran two completely different offenses and have two different playing styles. Even as throwers, Geno has a classic over the shoulder, high release point throw while Vince has a weird sidearm type release that can work in college but not the pros. Even at drsft time, there were questions about whether Vince's game could translate to the pro level.

Vince was a runner (he ran for 200 yards in the rose bowl). Geno's a pocket passer. Vince struggled with accuracy. Geno's strength by far is that he's deadly accurate.

I know Geno may bomb but he has little in common with VY. I have no idea why this comparison keeps getting mentioned.

7. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

They're both black. Duhhh..

8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Cause they're black

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're probably right about nat'l vs local media. To tell you the truth the local bothers me more. They are the people covering the team for years, it's their life line. I get it when criticism is warranted, but this is now beyond ridiculous. I don't expect them to be homers. Would be nice to see at least 50/50 split for now. The ship is getting more and more right in front of their eyes, yet.....

And the nat'l guys I hope will get it wrong for as long as possible. "The world is against us" is a great motivation.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he was taking about their on the field performance, not about amount of melanin in their skin.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Subliminal racism is still racism. He probably didn't even realize he was associating them because of race.... the worst type.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Francessa, is a Giants, Yankees machine.

Thats apples and oranges.

And ..to go a bit further...if you listen to the FAN in the AM, the once royal Francessa is ridiculed by Boomer and Carton on a regular basis.

But, the point is, these guys have jobs covering the Jets specifically. They can be gelded.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Melanin does buy a lot of lattitude. If you make racially tinged commentary like Stephn A. smith.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Do you even realize what you just said? If he didn't associate them by race, how can he possibly be racist? By your philosophy everyone is a racist.

But instead of arguing minute points let me give you a taste of your own treatment from PennState scandal instead.

Do you have a recorded video or audio where he made a racially charged comment? If you do, post definitive proof that the evidence is obtained legally. Do you have proof that the postings on this board were made by him specifically, not by someone else? Can you prove that your witnesses are trustworthy?

Because if not, you're full of shit and just accusing an innocent well respected man of horrible deeds.

15. Br4d

Anybody who is associating Vince Young and Geno Smith is at the very least engaging in subliminal racism.

Vince Young and Geno Smith are about as alike in play style as John Elway and Joe Montana. In other words, not close.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Not a like physically but mentally would be the point trying to made I would guess. Probably a better comparison that Ryan Leaf.

Either way a very weak argument. A Russell Wilson mentally he does not seam to be but the kid is 22 years old. He played in WV where he was king a little different that NY I am guessing he will adjust and grow-up as we all do.

17. Br4d

Vince Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic and then got to retake it and got a 14. He was extremely inarticulate and referred to himself in the third person without realizing that was an inappropriate way to refer to himself.

Geno Smith scored a 24 on the Wonderlic (the average score for all NFL QB's.) He is articulate and careful in the way that he presents himself.

Again, mentally there is no comparison. Comparing Vince Young and Geno Smith's mentality is like comparing Jeff George and Chad Pennington.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I have nothing against Geno or VY. I did not think VY was a going to be a good pro.

It is not far of a stretch,but yes still a stretch, to say the maturity issues VY had are similar to Geno at least based on reports. You do not have to agree but the comparison is not totally off the wall.

19. Br4d

Everybody has different maturity issues. Pointing at two people and saying their issues are similar is an effort doomed to fail because the differences will almost always be more important than the similarities.

20. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

Well said. It is too easy to typecast people. Let Geno be his own man.