The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I think I owe you some change.

because this just post makes too much sense.

he's already ruined in the eyes of many for this trivial nonsense. they're convinced of the narrative and that won't change.

but the more level headed among us that have bullshit meters ringing for this stuff from the media.

he'll be fine, and the comparisons are ludicrous.

2. pender30

pender30 Member

To me, saying "incredibly connected" and "works with numerous players" is really vague and could be anybody. It could be a trainer, it could Mike Mayock, it could be Geno's old agents. I feel like you would say "a scout for an NFL team" or "coach for an NFL team" if the person had a legitimate position.

Also, the fact Stephen A ends his segment by making it sound like the only reason he brings this up is to somehow help Geno by preparing him to guard against it is total BS. The only reason he brought it up is to throw out some red meat to the crowd of people who hate the Jets. This guy has made a living throwing absurd, unsubstantiated bullshit out there. He's a parasite.

3. Tom

Tom Member

Its official: The media slander on Geno Smith has begun and will not stop until they break him and run him out of the league.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How about this? Stop clicking on their fucking links. It's like feeding a troll.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There have been some comparisons between the two. No pocket presence, bad ball protection and to many fumbles. But Geno has some things Mark does not have like toughness, accuracy, able to fit a ball in small windows, arm strength, touch and the ability to throw a screen pass.

The jury is out on Smith. There are certainly reasons to be concerned. What concerns me most is the small hand size, fumbles and lack of pocket presence. In todays NFL it is almost impossible for a QB to succeed without pocket presence and the ability to extend plays. Its one of the biggest reasons Sanchez is so bad. Hopefully these are areas Geno can make into a strength of his game.

One thing I find interesting was Idziks comments that he wants Geno to run some read option and he wants Geno to be prepared to run more than he did in college. This makes me think the Jets have a different take than others do in the league on Geno's QB instincts and ability to move around under pressure. Maybe they think running read can mask some of the pocket presence issues or maybe they they think he has a better feel for moving in space than others believe. Hopefully they are looking at more than just his natural athleticism. when I watch him run I do not see the natural instincts to run through a hole or cut it outside to run behind blockers but then I don;t see him running blindly with eyes closed in a state of panic like Sanchez either. He does may not be a natural runner but he is athletic enough to put pressure on defenses if Idzik is right about running the read.

I am not sold on the kid but I feel we should at least support him and give him a chance. He may be end up another Sanchez or he could be something special. At worst we lose a second round pick which is nothing compared to the possible upside.

#1085 Noam, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Stephen A the one that got all butthurt about a tweet made by GSmith?

7. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Exactly. Because Geno referred to ESPN as part of his "critics." Stephen A. did one of his facing the camera "lemme talk to you" addresses to rip our boy.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

In 2012, many that are incredible connected with multiple NFL sources repeatedly pointed out that both Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez had entered Jet camp in excellent shape, with a great positive attitude and ready to compete. Both have been confident but humble, ready to admit that it's whatever is best for the team and have demonstrated the level of maturity required to deal with the rigors of the NFL and the demanding NY media. Blah, blah, blah. Well, that worked real nice for us. It did not take long for the name circus to be associated with the Jets.
    Enter Geno Smith in 2013. Poor guy ( drafted in the second round mind you) has not said shit but that he wants to spend all of his time reading the playbook and help this team to the playoffs. Boy that is really immature of the dude. Let dig up more dirt.
    Since the commish married Geno and the NYJ at the draft Geno has been the victim of vicious, irresponsible criticism all based on unknown but "highly reliable" sources. Is it me or it begs the question, where were all the so called sources before the draft when they almost unanimously rated him the #1 QB in the draft? Were all of them lying through their ass and hiding the facts or just plain ignorant and stupid of his total capabilities?
    So Geno has a chip on his shoulder (good for him) and maybe some growing up to do. I think many before him with damned good football instincts and talent have been able to mature on the job under a good coach. On the other hand great attitude and the inability to throw the football and read defenses gives you fucking nothing. We can attest to that
    Welcome to the 2013 NYJ and the scandal starving media Geno. I hope you prove them all dead wrong and become the diva of NY. If you are a winner, all else will be forgiven.

9. mikey

mikey Active Member

From the NFL.com article:

Truth. Hopefully, he comes out of this stronger. I have a feeling a lot of this "diva attitude" being reported is because he's a quiet guy. Lot of time when people aren't social they get labeled as stuck-up which is far from the truth.

10. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Geno Smith wasn't picked 2nd overall

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Oh man and I was hoping for a quiet couple months before camp....oyy

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

yeah that makes sense. he might have rubbed somebody the wrong way by doing something they interpreted as smugness, even if he truly isn't.

these things get out of hand with a misconception.

oh another good quote:

"Had Geno Smith been snatched up by, say, the San Diego Chargers to sit and learn behind Philip Rivers, you probably wouldn't be reading this."

thats for damn sure.

and I can only shake my head at the morons in the comments so ready to call him a loud mouth spoiled child based on a report from anonymous sources.

so quick to call him a bust despite never even plying a snap.

its easy to spread rumors about the new kid.

I'm not saying he's gonna light the league up but this is frigging ridiculous.

13. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Duh. Just look at this picture of Geno after he was drafted:

[​IMG]

14. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

And Stephen A. didn't mean something else, he's just really, really bad at talking and used poor phrasing in an attempt to make himself sound important.

15. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

A lot of this criticism is starting to feel like just piling on at this point. ESPN trying to get ratings with some jets talk now that Tebow is gone.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

16. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

hahahahahahaha :lol:
    please lets bring this back. Geno is white.

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I look at the media downpour on Geno as being a little bit of a good thing. If he can endure this and thrive while NOT playing the game, if he demonstrates early on that he can take the heat, then I'm certain that he'll be able to handle the heat of the NY media if he has early struggles...and he will, 99% of QB's coming in to the league have some early struggles.

If he can weather this and not let it phase him then he's one step closer to being a worthwhile NY QB on the field...all before even taking a training camp snap.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

NFL teams get mad over the littlest things

19. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Lol... good one :)

20. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but that's because that's all you'll hear, read & see from the msm- the bane of the USA.