The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree; most of this year's INTs have not been because of tips like back in 10. He's just not playing well.

2. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

It's amazing to see the people who defend Geno at this point. It's either someone who a) can't accept that the goal isn't to get someone better than Sanchez but to find our franchise QB or b) someone who believes we "won the draft" by getting "good value", and has to now defend his idiotic stance.

This kid is NOT a franchise NFL QB. He is 36th in the league in QB rating. That means there are MULTIPLE backups who are better than he is. Simply hoping for him to become something he clearly isn't is IDIOCY.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

most of his INTs in 2010 weren't b/c of tipped balls either. Eli is a guy who can play like a top 5 guy one week and a bottom 5 the next. it was comical when people were calling him elite b/c he got a 2nd SB MVP award he didn't deserve.

As bad as mark Sanchez was last year Eli has been MUCH worse and he has done so w/ MUCH MORE talent around him.

4. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I really think if Cutler or Cousins is available you have to target one of them. If Aaron Murray from Georgia is still on the board I would take him (assuming he's healthy).

5. nyjunc

I just wonder if people watch football? jay Cutler single handedly kept the Browns in the game yesterday, if not for a great play by Jeffrey and a defensive score they lose that huge game. He's a guy who looks the part but would be a disaster here. Imagine Cutler w/ the NY media?

I think Cousins has some potential but before we anoint him let's keep inmind Geno tore up the Falcons too and was even better against them than Cousins was yesterday.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The media is going to push for Manziel to NY, it will be the topic come April

7. dr.velociraptor

You told me you would rather have Sanchez over Phillip Rivers last year so I take anything you say with a grain of salt. If this team had Phillip Rivers this year they probably win the division.

Cutler is ten times the QB of anyone on our Jets roster in the past five years. No way I go into 2014 with Geno as the season starter (or anyone they draft), so that means signing someone is a must, Cutler looks like the best out there to me.

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Him already outspoken of how it would be "neat" to play here says it all.

If that were to happen, both Sanchez and Geno have to be dumped, and a smart-sign vet must be brought in as strictly the #2. No competition bullshit.

Drafting a QB like Manziel truly says you expect him as your franchise QB, IMO.

9. legler82

IMO the only thing Geno has done "well" or should I say improved on as of late is making the decision to escape the pocket q lot sooner. He's been a lot more decisive with regards to that. His pocket clock has definitely sped up and he is not burping the baby as much.

10. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Next Tim Tebow baby! Hell yeah!

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Here's a kodak moment. I agree with Junc about Cutler. The Tristate Media would eat him alive and spit him out like sour milk. Cutler might have a lot of Farve's traits, but I don't think he's got the moxie to survive playing Qb here.

It's a known fact that there are professional athletes that would not sign or play here even for a King's ransom. This area eats the weak. Just ask Beltran and Bay about that. Holmes to a degree as well as many other "famous busts" that came to town with big resumes and left after midnight quietly.

Not everyone can play in the TriState so we need to choose wisely if we're bringing in a vet.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm not ready to write off Geno but I think it's very clear that we need to bring in another legit option for starting QB next season. I think handing the job to Geno would be a pretty terrible idea.

13. legler82

That catch by Alshon was pretty ridiculous. It was not a smart throw as he was in double coverage.

14. nyjunc

I absolutely would and I'd take mark over Cutler, we know we can win big w/ mark. mark has as many playoff wins as Cutler and Rivers COMBINED playing w/ less talent than those 2.

Cutler would be a disaster, not only would we have to pay a decent price for him but he's nothing more than a stat guy but that will make fans happy. I like winning but most fans just want fantasy #s.

a year ago I would have said no way, I still don't want him but he can actually throw the football. he's not just a gimmick QB anymore but I still would prefer we don't take him.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I notice that while Eli went on up to 25 int's for the season he had already played in 150 NFL games. I also notice that the Jets redshirt freshman has played in 14.

16. nyjunc

incredibly dumb throw but it goes down as a 45 yd TD and people see that on a stat sheet and think he was great. He kept an overmatched team in the game.

17. dr.velociraptor

He throws the ball better than Tebow, but I don't see Manziel having a lot of success in the NFL, too small for the NFL to play the way he does, he's suited for college and I bet his stock plummets draft day for not having the physical tools.

18. nyjunc

He's bigger than Wilson.

19. dr.velociraptor

You guys are ridiculous if you wouldn't take Cutler out of some fear he can't handle the likes of Francessa and Lupica. The guy is a fantastic QB and clearly better than anyone, and I mean light years better than anyone on the Jets roster in the past five years. I take Cutler in a heartbeat, we would get years of productivity and consistency out of the QB position.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's this sense of certainty about your position that just isn't there.

Troy Aikman was the worst starting QB in the NFL his rookie season. The Cowboys went 0-11 with him starting as he completed 52.9% of his passes and had a 6.1% interception rate. His rating that year was 55.2.

You would have been baying at the moon that the Cowboys totally screwed up on the 1 pick and they'd drafted a bust and this guy sucks and please oh please can't we just draft another QB next year because this Aikman kid is hopeless!

The Lions took Matthew Stafford #1 overall in 2009 and he was about the only QB in the NFL who had a worse season than Mark Sanchez. Good gawd man! Can't you see what a bust Stafford is? He has Calvin Johnson to throw too and we're still 2-8 with him starting and he's thrown 20 picks and he's got a 5.3% interception rate, I mean jeez the guy is hopeless!

I'm not happy with what we're seeing out of Geno at this point but I'm also not ready to say that all we're ever going to see out of him. NFL history tells us that now and then a bad rookie QB turns out to be a good QB in the end. It doesn't happen very often and so I'm pessimistic about our chances but I'm not a hysterical looney fan either. Sometimes you just don't know right away.

The idea that the Jets have no chance with Geno is certainly wrong. The question is how much of a chance do they have?