The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

im surprised, i didnt think he played well and didnt think he was terribly accurate or made great decisions.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I feel better about geno now than at any point minus the Atlanta game. Against that D on the road I think he played pretty well. He has a ton of work to do but he looked in command yesterday. I felt different watching him, I can deal w/ mistakes when I see someone that can play. earlier in the year we were just doomed but we had a chance and he was a reason why.

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I would agree with you if they didn't see so hell bent on not even seeing is Simms can play in the NFL and be an option at backup or something. I mean Smith has 25 turnovers and he is being pushed out there week in and week out. Simms can't be worse. I think JI see 2 of his top 3 top 39 picks failing and he doesn't want to admit it. I think he is forcing himself to be tied to the notion that Geno was a great steal at 39 and will be a solid NFL starter.

4. 85inthehall

I'm with you -- he missed Santonio several times ugly, missed open deep balls, threw passes out of bounds, stared down receivers ...he was still all over the place. Doesn't read defenses well, lousy pre-snap recognition of pressure, doesn't modify coverage...I don't recall a time in 30 years where I has less belief in a QB behind center. Game goes to 16-6 and I sit back and go well there goes that no way we hit 16.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are looking hard at Geno to see if they have an NFL QB prospect on the roster already. Next year they will go get another young QB or make a deal for an established vet if not.

Right now QB is a wasteland for the team and has been since late 2011. Fixing that is probably the team's highest priority.

6. nyjunc

He's cleaning up the TOs, he "only" has 3 in the last 3 games(which is a big improvement) including no fumbles. I like the way he is finally trending in the right direction.

7. Br4d

Geno Smith has thrown 21 interceptions this year. That doesn't mean that he's trash and is going to get discarded out of hand. We have Matthew Stafford of recent fame to throw 20 his rookie year and still be a player.

However most QB's who throw a lot of int's their rookie year don't get an extended audition. Of those who do get an extended audition most disappoint in the end.

The Jets need to see reasons to extend Geno's audition next season. Absent that they're probably going to put him on the back burner and it's hard to get off that back burner once you've been put there.

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

+1. Not sold on Geno, at all, but this was much better than the flaming train wreck I was expecting. He did well for himself, even escaping pressure a few times. Unfortunately, he forced that ball to Holmes (whose drops took away momentum). All along, the question's been whether Geno can make better decisions. Given where we was a few weeks ago and where he is now, it's hard for me to say that he hasn't improved.

It's not enough for him to win the starting job for sure, but it's certainly enough to convince me that he should be kept on the roster.

9. 85inthehall

His last 6 games he has only completed over 54% once, over 50% twice, and the rest didn't crack 42.

What you have now is a QB that is has 60 completions over 6 games with 8 interceptions. So for every 7.5 competitions he throws a pick.

I think he is either scared and throwing the ball away a lot more - which you see or just lost -- i'm not sure one is better than the other.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since none of us are privy to what Geno is being asked to do and what the players around him are being asked to do I don't think any statistics give us a basis to evaluate Geno going forward. This is what separates the really good coaching and GM's from everyone else.

Jets management has to evaluate this and get it right. I see Geno make a lot of good decisions and throws. I see a lot of poor decisions and throws. What any of us see really doesn't matter nor do the stats.

Can he be developed into a top NFL QB or not? Nothing that I have seen says yes or no to this question.

11. Br4d

Having the Jets stay competitive for as long as they did really hurt the effort to develop Geno. At 4-3 and then 5-4 the notion of a playoff spot had to be creeping into Rex and MM's heads and they basically shut Geno down. The move kind of had a double purpose since the receivers were all hurt and the TE's were missing in action and all that.

It still changed Geno's mindset dramatically. He began playing to not make mistakes instead of trying to strike down the field. He called a bunch of audibles out of passes and into runs and he went up under center most of the time when he did that tipping a run to the defense.

I think all the hits he took did have an impact but I think the mental challenge of having to do very well in limited opportunities and having the best part of his game, the deep game, taken away really screwed up what was already a tenuous situation.

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Sure but that's like saying you are feeling better from an illness because you only puked three times last night and forgetting to mention you spent all night on the can with explosive diarrhea.

13. 85inthehall

I don't like the think that because the team was playing well Geno choked...that would be a horrible step in the wrong direction. A struggling team and a rookie QB could create a ton of pressure -- being 5-4 with playoff talks should have created pressure but a ton of confidence to lead the team. It seemed to do the opposite for him.

14. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He cleaned up his turnovers a bit but what about the big elephant in the room, his accuracy is STILL at this point in the season horrible and I've seen no improvement. He's an overthrowing machine, accuracy was supposed to be a strong point of his and I don't see how anyone can say they see him trending upwards. I'm not going to bring up the rest of his shortcomings because its just piling on at this point.

15. 85inthehall

The biggest disappointment is how poorly his deep ball has become. Remember after the buffalo game all the talk about that amazing deep ball dynamic he added. Has he completed one since? has he even been close? Guys have been open -- opportunity has been there but he doesn't even give them a chance

16. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

I'm not sure if anyone noticed it yet but Geno set the team record for most passing yards by a rookie beating out Sanchez' 2,444 with his 2,642. Not bad considering his only decent WR is a slot receiver.

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I personally like the notion of developing on the fly, when the games mean something. This I would argue helps a QB develop much quicker; it also lets the organization know if they have the right guy.

The logic you are trying to convince other jets fans of is, well we are a loser anyway this year so let's have Geno sling the ball all over the place? If we were 1-6 or 2-7 does this really change the play calling?

Let's not worry about his limited ability to read the defense, slide protections, or call audibles. Just try to build his confidence and let him "strike downfield". A true QB needs to learn how to do all of these things, Geno just doesn't seem to have the ability to do this; he may never.

Don't make the mistake of blaming Genos deficiencies on the Jets record in a weak AFC; with the possibility of making the playoffs. Blame Geno Smith for his lack of execution...

18. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

A few positives from Geno, his decision making has gotten WAY better and his pocket presence as well. He's also been looking to run a bit more and use some of that athleticism he has.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He also broke Sanchez's rookie mark of 20 INTs with 21 so far. How do you consider that?

_

20. nyjunc

I am not looking at his last 6, I am looking at his last 2 and he has played MUCH better in those 2 games.

and tied mr. pantyhouse for most pick 6's in a season