The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Good stats. No, I agree, I was pretty fed up with Greene last season, he just never hit the hole quick enough and seemed to go down on first contact quite often. I think it got lost though in the Sanchez meltdown/disaster and QB nightmare of the 2nd half of last season that he actually ran the ball pretty decently the last 6 or 7 games. He's just too limited athletically to ever be a bigtime player. There's a reason he slipped to the 4th round despite the crazy college production.

A combo of Ivory/Powell/Goodson will get us better YPC and has the potential for more explosion plays that we basically never saw with Greene.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I just wanna say the playcalling isn't suited to allow a rookie to succeed

you gotta think for him early on

however having the receivers he has drop passes isn't easy to cope with

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's my opinion--I've been watching football since 1969, and I watch a lot of college ball.

I think there are a bunch of guys better than Geno-and I've seen Geno play live 3 times in college and saw him a bunch of other times. I don't hate Geno, I just think there are much better guys coming out this year.

But thanks for your retort--it really had a lot of substance.

_

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

there is no way there are 3-4 better QBs than Geno in this draft

I say 2 with the potential to be in Bridgewater and Mariota and the latter might not even come out

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Well said.

As everyone knows I was against us drafting Smith months before we did for many reason, and so far he has showed me nothing whether practice, preseason or regular season to prove otherwise. Five turn-overs to 1 TD, not much to write home about. Don't bring up the Gates drop, the pass was not perfect and the only TD he has made was way behind and only a TD because Winslow did a 180 in the air. He is consistent at two things, late throws and behind throws. I am all for us drafting a QB next year and depending how Johnny Football does tomorrow he may be top on my list.

6. JStokes

Let's follow your logic here.

I am of the opinion that there are at least 4 maybe 5 QBs better than Geno next year.

Opinion.

You don't agree so you are irritated because you think some of us think we are QB gurus acting like we know who will be good and who will not.

So by extension YOU think Geno will be better than Bridgewater, Boyd, Mariota, Manziel and McCarron.

Who the hell are you- what make YOU the expert on who will be good and who will not?

Sounds stupid now, doesn't it?

It's the Internet- none of us are GMs or pro scouts, this is ALL speculation.

My speculation is based upon my years of watching football and actually seeing Geno a bunch of times in college as well as seeing him live, the fact that 2013 was an awful QB class and the fact that next year's QB class will blow this one away and actually having seen the 2014 QBs play.

What are you basing YOUR expert opinion on other than the HOPE that Geno is our savior?

Hmmm?

_

7. JStokes

Or maybe way.

_

8. JStokes

LOL, nice avatar :grin:

_

9. JStokes

Mods- Can I get a ruling on this?

Is this type of repartee accepted here?

Just want to know so I don't get banned if I use this phrase.

_

10. JStokes

Really?

Bridgewater is light years better than Geno.

That's pretty much universally accepted.

Bridgewater is going top 5, nobody is getting him as a value pick in the middle of round 2.

_

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

He'll be an even bigger bust than Geno.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can assure you that no one on the staff is getting a freebie so knock it off. If you must insult someone, do it in a more sophisticated manner. Keep your emotions in check going forward. Consider yourself warned.

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

At least someone agrees with me about Geno being a bust. Let the new coach next year pick his own QB to be tide down with to. A new HC will probably want his own OC too, getting a QB in a lame duck year sucks.

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

the next guy will be perfect, definitely. no flaws out the gate, not like this no talent hack out here right now. how dare he play like a rookie! next years class will be SO much better. no growing pains. NONE.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Junc, your priceless. You discuss cherry picked situations and remove them from the context of the full game. On plays you give your subjective interpretation of the play, the plays, and the players and your subjective slant is ALWAYS in an attempt to justify Sanchez's existence.

But you know what Junc, when your talking about your play by play stuff, what are you talking about? Statistics, out of context and, by your own admission, not knowing the play, the reads, the hot routes or the progression called for that play.

So you cherry pick your examples, ignore the rest of the game, and in cherry picking the examples use plays and information without knowing the calls or the responsibilities...but yet you claim to be in context.

You off hand dismiss anything that doesn't conform to your "eyes" and by your own admission you trust your "eyes". The reason you want to see the tapes is so that you can apply your own subjective interpretation to them.

The simple fact is you dismiss anyone's opposing view as "amature" or "don't know football" or "just an average fan".

But I'll give you this, your not an average fan, your a fanatic, the word from which Fan is derived. The American Heritage Dictionary defines fanatic as "A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause"

Which pretty much sums of your argumentative style. so sir yes, you are not the average fan....you definitely take it to new heights when taken in that light :D

16. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

One man does not make a team ,give the guy a chance he can only improve ,what we have seen is raw ,he can run, that option will change how teams look at our O ...

17. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

I thought he was a bust ,hes not I was wrong there will be alot wrong with me ...

I LIKE GENO

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

What's important Junc is not what you call so called drops but that the exact same criteria was used for all QB's across the league. You probably would disagree with what they term a drop, but you probably have a different definition for receiver drops and defensive back drops. From what I know they apply the same drop criteria to both receivers and DB's, which is why their receiver drop total is less than a lot of other peoples because they have a more rigorous definition of what a drop is.

But that's beside the point, the point is that the exact same criteria is used for ALL QB's and with the same criteria being applied to all QB's the reference point, or mid point, is the average. And in 2010 Sanchez was WAY above the average and by far the leader. And remember this is adjusted interceptions, which does not just include dropped passes but passes that were tipped or deflected are taken out of the equation, so are interceptions that were thrown in the last 2 minutes of games on 4th down when trailing and hail mary interceptions were removed from the equation as well.

In other words the system is equitable and fair, it's reasonable to assume that if you apply the same exact criteria to every pass to every QB that everyone is being judged fairly and objectively.

what you want to do is review the tape on 1 QB to take him out of context with all the other QB's and apply your own criteria to that one QB.

The only way you could make the assessment just is to watch ALL the QB's and apply the exact same criteria to all of their pass plays.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Lol man. I just cant handle people calling ANY player that has only played a season a bust, let alone 2 games. People were spoiled with last years QB class... Now the expectation for every rookie is to be RG3 or Russell Wilson.

Its a good thing the organization doesnt think that way...

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah...They learned their lesson with Sanchez.