The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Aside from 2 drives during the preseason, the offense looked like dog shit with Sanchez.

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sanchez lost because he didn't out right win

If he truly won he wouldn't be out there in the 4th quarter

There are things we don't know and that's obviously why he's not getting the call

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I remember rookies in the past playing like shit in the preseason and then stepping up during the regular season. Even if you guys don't like Geno at least give him a chance to prove himself one way or the other.

In his lone start he did more positive than negatives. It was actually good for him to get out there and get some reps. The Justin Tuck int for example is a play that if he sees it again will know not to make that mistake again. Geno is a guy that is always watching film and studying. The fact that MM thought that he wasn't ready after rookie camp, then by the time TC started Geno improved everything he needed to work on. So I imagine after 2 weeks we might see an improved Geno from the Giants game.

4. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

yeah I said earlier that Cam Newton looked awful in preseason but went on and threw for 4,000+ yards, ran for 700+ and scored 36 TDs combined.

put him out there and see what happens. I think it is convenient that Sanchez is hurt because that would be the only good way to pull Geno and put him back in if he struggles big time early.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You are asking WAY too much from some people here with this post. It's a whole lot easier and takes way less effort to just say "NOPE HE SUCKS, CLEALY NOT READY" after one preseason game as opposed to actually going back, watching the games and seeing how well he did some things. Other than two MISERABLE throws for picks, he did some pretty good things, more than we saw from Sanchez in year 5 actually.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

7. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Geno Smith "isn't ready"? What does that even mean?

Ready to lead a team to a Super Bowl? Of course not.

Ready to learn? Absolutely.

Ready to show what sort of potential he has? Absolutely.

Ready to use a bridge/rebuilding year as a means of giving the organization the clearest picture of whether or not he deserves to be considered part of the future? Absolutely.

The Stockholm Syndrome is just oozing out of some of these Sanchez/Geno posts.

8. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

He did NOT ouplay Geno. Geno even with the INTs outperformed Sanchez. Not even close actually.

9. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I think because next year is so deep at QB we're going to grab one no matter what. I think if Geno is lights out we go with a QB in the 3rd or 4th rounder. Realistically I think if Lee isn't available we might take a QB in the first at #9.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Any chance the Sanchez trolls can crawl back to the "Sanchez Sucks" thread and just hang out there until get gets released instead of trolling the thread about the Jets starting quarterback? Thanks.

11. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better fine. How abt we say, Geno didn't win the competition, instead of saying Mark won?

I hope that makes a difference.

Btw... Geno watches tape all the time, does that mean other qb's don't? They watch cartoons?

Agreed that it's wrong to judge Geno on one poor game. However that one game was his chance to dethrone Sanchez, and obviously throwing 3 picks, and giving safety in a half doesn't look too good.

I hope if Geno plays, he learns fast and plays well and consistent.

12. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Looks like their are more Tebow, and Geno trolls lol.
    Bunch of critics here I tell you...

Fans are opinionated and passionate and tired of losing. Everybody is venting.

Last but or butt, not least Sanchez won this competition.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

With him being named the starter today, it seems like a new chapter has been started for the NY Jets. Throughout this forum, I have seen many posts about how this kid is a wasted pick, is a bust, and how many already want him to fail.

I personally dont understand that. The guy hasnt even take a regular season snap and he's already being declared as a bust by some of the fans who are supposed to back him. Its bad enough everyone else in this football world is out against the Jets and Geno Smith; we as the fans need to be the few behind him and the support him until he gives us a legitimate reason not to. And no, a single preseason game is not a real reason.

I read a post on here that said "support the decal on the side of the helmet, and forget about the name on the back of the jersey"... or something like that. Forget that he may not have been your favorite pick for the Jets and support him simply because his success is whats best for this team. If he may turn into a franchise QB like the Jets hope, our whole organization and future can change.

I dont want to generalize, but it seems like so many have already come to a conclusion on this kid. All Im saying is to give him a chance. With Sanchez- we have seen him play 4 years in the NFL and its justifiable to come to a conclusion on him. We have truly given Sanchez a chance and have been through the ups and downs with him. Now, its pretty easy to judge him as a QB. Let Geno Smith get a few games or, dare I, a season under his belt before we throw him to the trash.

Now I am not saying he is the 2nd coming of Russell Wilson, or that he will even be any good. All Im trying to say is to try and give him some semblance of a chance to write his own book.

----------------------

Sorry if this is a rant... hopefully it wont be merged.

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

um, i think you mean the:

ERA OF EUGENE

aliteration counts man. :grin:

15. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

As long as it is better than the Quincy Carter era, I'm down.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No one wants him to fail.

17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Quincy Carter wasn't really that bad, as I remember it. (decent backup for Pennington, IMO)

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Quincy was all about the drugs - which is why he didn't have a future in the NFL - he was a decent backup.

At this point, I hope Geno has success THIS year. We will have a QB and we can finally start drafting weapons.

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Well said! They made the decision and I root for the "Laundry" whether I like their decision or not. I am hoping that he stays on his feet, is injury free and does well. This season really does boil down to this position. The defense is in place and we have young talent. Let's "Git' Er' Done!!" :metal:

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP

Some are prematurely writing the kid off. Others right out have stated that he will be winless this year if I read the comments right.

Others are disappointed because it wasn't their choice. Truth is we just don't know how good or not this kid can be. But he is wearing a Jet helmet now and we want him to succeed big time.

I find it humorous how many experts called him the best of the QB in the draft and albeit raw with enough talent to be a first rounder....so for us it was clearly a steal in the second round. Yet not too many people are now coming forward and agreeing with that notion.

My theory is that if one of the beloved teams would have picked Geno they would be heralding their wisdom, but since it was the Jets it was a ho hum move.

Personally I'm willing to be patient and hope he does become the second coming of Wilson.