The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Code:
     Player 	Att 	Comp 	Yds 	Comp % 	Yds/Att 	TD 	TD % 	INT 	INT % 	Long 	Sck 	Sack/Lost 	Rating
    Matt Simms 	59 	44 	478 	74.6 	8.1 	1 	1.7 	0 	0.0 	70 	8 	61 	103.6
    Mark Sanchez 	42 	28 	366 	66.7 	8.7 	2 	4.8 	2 	4.8 	31 	2 	15 	90.0
    Geno Smith 	37 	22 	246 	59.5 	6.6 	1 	2.7 	3 	8.1 	32 	1 	1 	54.6
    Greg McElroy 	19 	11 	145 	57.9 	7.6 	1 	5.3 	0 	0.0 	24 	3 	25 	99.7   
    This to me matters more than TC , take away the stats and just look at the QB smarts.....
    For the incredibly limited time he has had, he is not ready for me, but apparently the CS think he is, maybe they've got crystal balls

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Dude, 60 % of it was to Stedman and Austin.

That aint NFL football.

Theres a reason he wasnt a top 10 pick, and the offense he was in was it.

Hes a guy with all the tools, and none of the relevant experience.

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Trust me, Sanchez knew this is going to be his last season in uniform as a Jet. If he didnt get the hints, that 4Q appearance made it clear as day. We dont give a **** about you anymore, not even his boy Rex Ryan. That sh!t must hurt.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He should have been in trouble for putting Sanchez in the Giants game.

And if Idzik was behind it. He should be gone. Between the troubled FA signings, the retarded QB competition, this guy is making Tannenbaum look good.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

McElroni was released.

6. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The Jets know what they're doing. If they're comfortable starting him then he should be starting. He made some mistakes in the Giants game, but only one was a bad read - the interception to Tuck absolutely should not have been thrown. The other 2 were bad throws (and one of them looks like the CB took it away from Spadola). He didn't throw into double or triple coverage and he avoided the pick 6 which Sanchez seems to throw at least once every couple of games. Smith, at this stage in his career, already makes better decisions than Sanchez. He will have some mechanical issues to work through (footwork, etc.) like any young QB will, but he'll learn and by the end of the year he may be pretty good. Also, with Rex showing him all kinds of different looks in practice, his reading the defense should improve markedly.

It's really incredible that with all the crap Rex must have thrown at Sanchez in practice over the past 4 years he still seems incapable of reading a defense quickly or properly. It's time to move on. Starting Sanchez gives them nothing.

7. skipper

skipper Member

Do people understand that Sanchez is hurt and can't play? The choice for next Sunday isn't Smith/Sanchez. It is Smith/Simms. I think Simms has shown us all something but I don't know as much as the coaching staff. I'll take MM & Lee's evaluation. If Smith stinks it up completely they can go back to Sanchez when his shoulder gets better.

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I was going to say that but didnt bother. I would of said it just goes to show how much they dont care about Sanchez anymore.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

get it in while you still can!

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You have to love how the fools on this board who have seen all of a half preseason game state to the world that somebody is or isn't ready.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you may want to read his post again.

as to the o.p., geno may not be ready but sanchez has peaked. starting sanchez inhibits progress. this really is a no brainer for any team looking to start climbing back up

12. gustoonarmy

...and your opinion is?

13. gustoonarmy

So.... you put him in anyway and just hope things pan out?

14. Drew

Drew Active Member

This is probably more of a Jimmy Clausen scenario where we draft our Cam next year.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I agree with this, and frankly it gives credence to a very important fact: we don't know what they took away from that game.

and more importantly we don't know what they've taken away from every other part of the preseason and training camp as well.

we look at that one game as our most relied upon source of where he is and what he can do but we don't know what MM was thinking, or what he was valuing in a bigger picture.

We appear to be working under the thought that what we saw is exactly what the coaches did. i mean c'mon, 3 interceptions and a safety? and look at that footwork! its obvious he's not ready right?

but thats just an assumption, we have no clue what he or the rest of the team really thinks of the two potential starters and what they've done, all we have is a few brief glimpses and our own bias.

baring this in mind anything is possible, just cause we don't see something doesn't mean the coaches don't. that applies to sanchez too.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

And the majority of your posts seem to belittle other posters, but hey...

I was referring to "you people" as the posters I was talking to in this thread. Maybe I shouldnt generalize as much, but at the same time you are going ahead and generalizing "80%" of my posts.

Do you have something wrong with what I said? Or just the way I said it? Because if you disagree with what I said, then let me know.

I dont think its right to declare someone not ready after 3 quarters of a preseason game. Since the organization is backing him, I'll wait until he has extended play until I declare him ready or not. Im not even going as far to say that he IS ready, but just that the jury is out imo.

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

For better or worse, Geno is our quarterback now.

It's what the majority of Jets fans wanted until two weeks ago when Sanchez suddenly became the answer to all of our problems just because he's the guy who's not available. Everyone who isn't Hobbes hated the guy two weeks ago, and now we have our wish: Nacho's on the bench and the kid has his shot.

"But but but...he played like shit in week 3!!" - Seriously? This is what a rookie quarterback looks like - at least a "normal" rookie quarterback. I'm happy as hell he stepped out of the end-zone in a preseason game - you think he'll ever make THAT mistake again?

The Lucks, Wilsons, and RGIII's have spoiled fans on what a rookie quarterback looks like. They look more like Geno, on average, the first time they see an actual defense. They make bad decisions and get baited when they stare down targets. It happens.

We play the Bucs, Pats, Bills, and Titans in the first 4 games. We can win 3 of those four just by playing defense up to our standards and not turning over the ball. Or we could go 1-3 if we turn it over. Same issues, whether it's Sanchez or Smith at QB, but I'd argue we're just as likely to have Sanchez turn it over as Smith.

I'd rather have the guy who COULD learn from his mistakes as opposed to the guy who clearly HASN'T learned from his mistakes.

He may not be the 10 year answer but for now he's got my support.

#2477 milo, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with the OP. He is not ready yet, although in my opinion he has shown promise.

So putting that aside the choice we have is to either go with Geno and give him the baptism of fire or go with Simms and do likewise. One has done poorly against starters in one appearance versus a good D, one has not played against starters or seen any defensive game planning but has demonstrated he can hold his own against the second teams. Both were raw enough to get nailed for a safety.

So I'm questioning the selection strictly based on field presence, draft status non withstanding, what has separated Geno performance vice Simms? What have the coaches seen we haven't? If they think they are very close then Geno would get the nod.

Or perhaps, their thinking is about risk versus reward for the present and the rest of the season?
    If Geno fails you go with Sanchez? but if Simms fails then who do you go with? go with Geno, and if that is a bust what? Sanchez? or just keep Geno on ice for a year. No one in NY will stand for that.

I think the CS is looking at reducing the number of moves at QB. MM to develop a special game plan an offensive strategy totally tailored to Geno, gradually get his feet wet, and see how it goes from there.

This move is more about "let see if Geno can develop and be be our QB (and accept the growing pains and mistakes) rather than "is he ready to be our QB now"

It might be a longer season that anticipated

19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Sanchez was at 66% completion rate. He was playing way over his usual stats. If that was normal for him, he'd still be the starter.

As for Smith starting, "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night".

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

yup, you tailor a plan around his strengths, give him a lot of throws that you know he can make, mix up the play calling and let him learn.

gone are the days of qb's sitting the bench to be groomed.

unless you think sanchez is going to turn it around and become a franchise qb(stay out of this, hobbes) sending him out there is impeding progress.