The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Matt Simms play, he's played much better than genome & he has a gun.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He sprinted out right and threw the ball out of bounds on the right sideline and past the line of scrimmage. There was no give up there, just a smart play to try to avoid a safety. That he didn't know exactly where the endline was is definitely a rookie mistake on top of an otherwise smart play.

You probably should stop posting for a bit and get your head together on this.

Saying that Smith made a rookie mistake on the safety is completely accurate but that mistake was not giving up nor choosing the wrong tactic for the moment. The mistake was in not knowing exactly where he was before he threw the ball. None of the officials threw a yellow flag for grounding because Geno both got outside the tackle box and threw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.

3. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

a few pages later...

lol

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

My observations with Geno after 1 game was that he was definitely staring receivers down a lot. I'm not sure if that was because it's his first start or if its a habit but he needs to break that habit now if it is a habit. Also he was late on quite a few throws, seemed unsure of himself. He made a few very nice throws as well though, it's hard to really get a good idea of where hes at after that 1 game for me I need to see more.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Published: March 9, 2013

"There's no question that he has an NFL arm -- he's an NFL talent," Cosell said Thursday on the Yahoo! Sports Shutdown Corner draft podcast. "He's got some other issues. He's got footwork issues, but that can be corrected. He plays almost exclusively in the shotgun and he's a bit of a bouncer -- in other words, he doesn't take the snap, drop back, stick his foot in the ground and get ready to go.

"He sort of bounces, so when he decides where he wants to throw the ball, he then needs to plant and deliver. Sometimes he hurries himself doing that if there are bodies closer to him, and at other times, he's a beat late with throws, because he has that extra half-second where he then has to plant and throw. At times, I thought he was a little bit erratic and scattershot with his accuracy, and he left some routine throws on the field."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...g-cosell-geno-smith-an-nfl-talent-with-issues

6. OverloadBlitz

That was actually a pretty good analysis by Cosell given that it came from NFL.com. I can't disagree with anything that was said in the quote.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

3/4, 88 Yards, 0 INT, 0 TD
    3/8, 43 Yards, 1 INT, 1 TD
    13/20, 149 Yards, 0 INT, 1 TD
    5/5, 67 Yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

Compare this with:

6/7, 47 Yards
    16/30, 199 Yards, 3 INT, 1 TD

Top line belongs to Sanchez, and the second line belongs to Geno. The only horrible outing of Sanchez has more to do with Ravens D schooling him more than him shitting the bed.

Bold is the 3rd game - that's the rehearsal for the season kickoff, so that's where things get serious. There, Geno thoroughly shit the bed. It is not even comparable.

Of course, they are in different circumstances, but then nobody put a gun against Geno's head to throw a pick.

So... Okay. Geno had one bad game in the preseason. Even Sanchez didn't have one in his rookie year. Good fucking riddance, guys. Nice job.

P.S. I am watching the replay. Boy, his throwing mechanics looks like an utter SHIT. His feet movement looks like total dog shit, and his eye sight adjustment is less than total dog shit. He doesn't plant his back foot. He just wings the ball with his arm strength alone. Oh my fucking GOD. I hated when Sanchez kept doing that shit - and I will hate when Geno keeps up with this dog shit.

Jesus. Sanchez wasn't this bad even in his rookie year. Seriously. I am adjusting my expectation for this kid in a hurry. If he can't fix his throwing mechanics - and he had better square the fuck away in a hurry - he's destined to be a career backup.

#2347 Zach, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. Br4d

This is definitely an accurate assessment of where he is at the moment. The hop before some throws was very pronounced. That was Geno finally getting set before he made the throw.

He needs to drop back and get set as he is going through his reads. Not drop back, go through his reads and then get set.

That's coachable. Bill Parcells would have that habit worked out of him with a few nasty words in front of the whole team every time he did it in practice and the fifty yard glower in full stream when he did it in games.

The phrase "bunny rabbit" comes to mind. I can hear Parcells asking the bunny rabbit if he was done hopping and wasting the team's time for this practice or if he needed to get a few more hops out of his system. If he needed the time just go right ahead and hop now before the next play, get it all out of your system.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I was literally shocked when I saw him dropping back. Watch how Montana drops back. He doesn't just drop back for the sake of planting his feet. He SCANS THE FIELD as he drops back, so by the third step back, his back foot is planted, arm is cocked, and the ball is out. Geno? Yeah. I need a good laughter. His drop back motion made me laugh, literally.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Soo Teddy Bridgewater with the 1st/2nd overall pick?

11. OverloadBlitz

I don't think I've ever seen him drop back from center in College so it's going to be a transition especially when you've never done it before. Honestly he's better at dropping back than I thought he'd be at this point. I'm just hoping he has the work ethic to correct these type of issues right now which is hard to assess without knowing him as a person.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So the question boils down to:

Do we let him learn that on the fly? Or do we let him learn that riding the pine?

You make the call. It has Sanchez-esque Ass-fumble written all over it, if you ask me. And if he has never done that before [which he hasn't done in college for sure] it may take more than one season to even learn to do that.

13. Br4d

You find out whether he can make the adjustment in practice and games or not.

If he makes the adjustment in practice, which he apparently has done some of, then you let him play in games.

If it all comes unwound again under pressure like it did last night you go back to square one in practice.

It really shouldn't take more than a half dozen games or so before it's beginning to become clear that he's capable of making the adjustment or incapable of doing so for now.

If he's incapable of making the adjustment after that amount of exposure you let him go sit and think some about it and you bring him back as circumstances warrant or just let him be competition for the draft pick next year.

He's either got the physical intelligence to make a crucial adjustment that might let him become a good NFL QB or he doesn't. If he does, that's freaking great and if he doesn't well that's what the 2014 NFL draft is for.

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

so again why were the Jets the only ones to bite? I never knew he had so much trouble. Of course theres a chance it can be corrected but dude has trouble in the huddle,cant drop back after all those years of playing in college.

Sad to say but Hobbes is looking right in that Geno truly isnt close to be ready.

15. OverloadBlitz

It's still tough to make that call, I need to see more of Geno and know if it was just because he was starting his first game or if this needs to be corrected much more. The only QB that I can think of in the League at this moment was Kaep. He played strictly Pistol and Shotgun in College and got about a year and a half to develop the drop back footwork. Now Geno doesn't have the speed nor arm strength that Kaep has so please don't make this post seem as if I'm comparing their abilities, only their situations coming out of college.

16. Br4d

The Jets bit for the same reason that most teams bite on a 2nd round QB. They saw enough potential there to intrigue them and the cost of taking a shot was low enough that they decided to do that.

Colin Kaepernick was a worse prospect than Geno Smith coming out of college. He played in the pistol just like Geno but with signficantly less accuracy as a passer. He was an option QB out of the pistol not a passing QB.

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Jets weren"t the only team, just the first.

18. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Dont think well be that bad where we get that high of a pick......you figure last year was pathetic and we wont 6 can it be worse then that

19. OverloadBlitz

Right, he was a lot like Kaep which is why he was drafted in the 2nd round if you ask me, didn't drop back in College and teams were worried about that because of the NFL game. Kaep did have a very long time to learn and from a QB coach nonetheless in Jim to figure it out.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The problem is, it's not that simple.

It's all about the muscle memory, reflex and, last of all, habit. They are really powerful trifecta. I can guarantee you, it will take more than a handful of games to start doing that naturally. It will take inordinate amount of repetitions to 1) kill the previous habits and 2) re-install the new habit in place of the old one. If it's a petty small habit, it will take minimum 10 weeks to get that drilled into the head. If it's a complex muscle memory, you can expect it will take more than just that. And he has not done that in his college years at all - so all these things WILL feel very foreign. Expect a lot of bumps and rough patches.