The Eagles want the Jets' pick if Mariota falls to No. 6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Mar 4, 2015.

1. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Are you kidding!?

Foles and some picks is light years better than having Mariota.

Get over it, I'd do the same deal for Winston

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I second this.

3. mst3000

mst3000 Member

You guys are asking for way too much. According to the draft value chart (which I know needs to be taken with a grain of salt), the cost to move up from 20 to 6 is at most worth a future 1st and a 2nd. Don't forget, the Browns let us move from 17 to 5 for the mere cost of a 2nd and 3 JAGs. The Jets can ask for ransom, but if the Redskins or Raiders aren't married to their draft positions or anyone in the top 5 and are interested in moving down to acquire more picks, they could just take less than the ransom the Jets are asking for.

The only scenario I can see the Jets getting a windfall of picks is if all of the teams in the Top 5 are in love with a top 5 player and have no interest in moving down. It would help if there was competition too - imagine if Mariota was sitting there at 6 and we got calls from the Eagles and the Rams? Or even the Browns? Then we're looking at a really good night.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Did I say I did? No, but I don't believe in blindly and slavishly sticking to BPA. IMO only a moronic excuse of a GM would do that and ignore need. You have to balance the two. Often times there are only a few hundreds percentage points separating one prospect from another, and it's not "reaching" to take the second best player. One can also trade down.

Taking Williams would be stupid with Snacks, Ellis, and Mo here. Williams isn't going to play over one of those three. A first round pick has to play, not sit on the bench. The Jets have dire needs at OG, CB, OLB and WR, not to mention QB. Taking yet another DL would be a firable offense imo.

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Back to MM, there is one thing I don't think anyone has mentioned - what does Mariota want? Now he's not going to do an Eli, but it is possible that he really wants a reunion with Chip. It makes sense for both parties, the mentor and his star pupil. If the Jets due diligence gets the feeling that MM may not be as committed to another team as he might be to Chip then that could make a difference. Especially if they have some reservations about picking him anyway.

In the end it comes down to do the Jets new mgmt team have some reservations about MM? If they do then a trade involving a more known commodity like Foles becomes a possibility, if they don't then Mariota has to be the pick.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a guy coming out of college looking to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing QB in the National Football League is going to give a fuck about which team selects him and that he will only be slightly committed to any other team that takes him outside of the team he wants.

Oh, and the Jets really give a shit if he would want to be paired with Chip Kelly again.

"Oh look Mike, Mariota probably wants to play for Chip from Oregon. He's got ties there and likely wouldn't be as committed to us if we took him"

"Yeah you're probably right Todd. We should look to trade that pick to them considering those concerns"

"Absolutely Mike! As we all know, not only do we base our draft picks on if the player wants to be here, but we make sure he will be fully committed to our team. If he doesn't, well, you just gotta trade away that pick to the team he will be fully committed to"

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Dunnie

Dunnie Member

Mariota is 50/50 to go to the Bucs ... Just sayin ... Winston could very well plummet like Bridgewater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What supports this theory of yours? He had a great combine and was already in the discussion for the first overall pick.

9. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I dont give a fuck that Chip Kelly wants his old QB...screw him. And I love Chip Kelly. I want a star QB on the Jets which they've never had dammit. Now all of this is a moot point because we won meaningless games and MM won't be there when we pick. But the idea still drives me crazy

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Umm.... Character issues. Tampa Bay taking Mariota and no other team under them not willing to take a high pick on Winston.

11. BroadwayAaron

You know you're just as guaranteed to have a star QB in Mariota as you are with someone taken with the 2016 first we could theoretically acquire right? I like Mariota but he is he furthest thing from a surefire star as there's ever been.

12. BroadwayAaron

Yes thank you captain obvious. I know what would literally cause Winston to fall on draft day. That's obviously not what I meant

13. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Not likely...With Chip and MM running the offense the Eagles are likely to have a good season, so the draft pick we get from them would be low? Unless Im wrong about how that works

14. BroadwayAaron

No that's how it works. But the point is Mariota is not a surefire star. You're acting as if we are passing on Andrew Luck if we trade the pick when he's available.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It depends on who wants to make the trade. If the seller wants to make the deal the pick is cheaper and if the buyer wants to make it the deal is more expensive.

The reason the Jets could get a deal out of the Eagles is that it is very likely that they are evaluating Mariota and willing to possibly take him on the 6 pick. That makes the deal a seller's market and more expensive for the buyer.

Figure the Raiders have a WR they really want on the 4. That makes them a no-deal except in a big overload situation. The Redskins aren't going to trade the Mariota pick to the Eagles unless they get a big overload.

So that puts the trade-up in the first 3 slots, where it is very expensive or at the Jets slot. I think the Jets could come away with Foles and 3 or 4 picks including a couple of 1sts in the deal. That's a deal that none of the teams above them would be particularly interested in for various reasons and that the Jets would not be able to pass up if it came their way.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

True that the vast majority of these guys were busts, but so many of them were also reaches. Tim Tebow, Ponder, Locker, Weeden, Manuel,

17. Br4d

A spread option QB is a huge reach in the top 10. Cam Newton and RGIII are the guys who have gone up in that vicinity and so far neither of them has been worth the pick. Not busts but not QB's you expect to win a Super Bowl either.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Newton was worth the pick

19. Br4d

Look at his numbers and at the Panthers performance. His passing YPA and his rushing yards are both going down over time. He might still rebound with a big season that resets the scales but he's more likely to get hurt. He's pushing his luck as it is with all the running.

There's a reason the whispers at mid-season last year were about the Panthers moving on.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They went down a little bit this year because they left him devoid of talent. It was a rebuilding year that he still managed to salvage a late season run and a playoff victory.

Carolina wouldn't really be stupid enough to move on from him but we can only hope so as fans of a team that could only dream of having a talent like Newton at the helm from where we're sitting.