The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

f(iller)yp

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Where on earth did I ever say his demands were reasonable?

3. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

good job using logic. so follow this argument through.

Revis' ability is real, thus his leverage is real. The Jets only have the upper hand if Kyle Wilson performs just as good as he would in his place. And if Wilson's backup performs as good as he would as a nickel, and on down the line. The Jets have the upper hand right now, only if Revis is replaced this season without any difficulty.

This is extremely unlikely, in fact nearly impossible. So Revis wins the argument.

4. DSkurn

DSkurn New Member

Been awhile since I posted here...

This whole Revis thing is all about the waiting game, IMO. If he does not report by Aug 10, he loses a year towards free agency. I think that the Jets are waiting until the 10th to see if Revis caves under the pressure of losing this contract leverage. The only way I can see him not reporting by then is if he feels like there's no doubt that he will sign a contract to become a Jet for life. I'm not worrying... yet.

Stupid Al Davis had to go give Nnamdi 6 mil a year more than the next highest-paid CB. Ruining everything.

5. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

This must be where that "reasonable demands" claim came from. LOL.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Not exactly. The Jets hold leverage simply if they're able to win without him. The ultimate measure of success is as a team, not individual players. If the Jets believe they can still win the Superbowl with Wilson, it doesn't matter if he's quite as good as Revis.

Having said that, I'm sure the team would feel a whole lot better with Revis. He holds some leverage, but certainly not "all the cards.". Both sides have some power, hence the dragging on.

7. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

That would be true if Revis was the team, and don't get me wrong we are infinitely better with him, but that doesn't mean we are no good without him.

8. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

I don't know about you, but last year there were many times where I felt Revis was the team. An iconic player is priceless. That said, Revis needs to take a deal already.

9. I think there's something to this. The Jets may be waiting to see how things pan out on 8/10.

Then again, Revis already forfeited the guarantee on the $20 million of the two buyback years. Is he willing to lose a year accrued toward FA, as well?

10. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

All of yout posts have been completely wrong, Jets have all the leverage. Bottom line he has THREE years left. What you are trying to prove is not working. Revis Uncle had the cards back when he was holding out because he had ONE year left. HUGEE DIFFERENCE

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I still don't understand how posters here think that Revis has no leverage. He was the most important piece of the defense last season, by his own coach's admission. He does not need much more leverage than removing the most talanted player from the defense, which is exactly what his holdout is doing. Now if this extends into the regular season and Cromartie turns back into a world-beater then Revis' leverage will diminish(note that I said diminish and not vanish).

As for the "we still have him for three more years" deal:
    1. Until the Jets actually exercise the buy-back option, we don't. The fans and select media are the only ones treating these negotiaitions that way. As far as Revis and the Jets are concerned at this point, Revis is on the last year of a four year deal.
    2. No contract, regardless of length, is a guarantee in this league, especially not if one of the parties involved absolutely hates it. Revis' talent level is enough to force a trade out of New York and ther are a lot of potential suitors for him. Nothing about the buy-back option is a guarantee.

12. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The buy-back option is no longer needed since Revis can no longer void the last two years of the contract. There are three years remaining on the contract.

Sure, Revis can opt to sit out of football for a couple of years.

13. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

Yea if I was Revis I would sit out the three years, and then he will make bank immediately. After all he only sat out for three years

14. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

How much does he make for those years since we dont have to buy them back now?

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, because the team can perform great as a whole even if Revis' replacement doesn't perform as well individually. the Jets upper hand isn't dependent solely on Kyle Wilson, your attempt to assert so is simply asinine.

the bolded sentence of your post reveals how little you grasp logic. how can their leverage NOW be dependent on what happens in the FUTURE? that is simply illogical. dear God, how could you even post something so ridiculous?

16. ........

........ Trolls

Do you have a link for that? I'm not saying that's wrong, just not what I had thought. I thought his faithful fulfillment of the contract simply triggered the guarantees, as in should the Jets exercise the buyback, they'd be forced to guarantee the full amount. I didn't realize he lost the ability to void altogether.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

According to many reports that was what he lost by not showing up to camp.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Revis can show up two minutes before game time and start. I will not fret about this until the day of the game and he is not signed. Frankly, I would like to see him skip preseason and be ready for game #1

19. ........

........ Trolls

From a Cimini article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5272841

It seems to me the void is still in play.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think for the interest of sanity I will count Revis as out for the season until proven otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.