The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Yeah that is why I initially thought Mangini would be a good coach. He made chicken salad out of chicken shit.

I think there was mention of David Barrett right before the Mayan calendar ended. Coincidence? I think not.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is just an opinion list, but here goes. The most likely reasons the Jets went 6-10 if it happens:

1. LG turns out to be a hole because none of the guys trying to hold the spot can do it.

2. Season-ending injury elsewhere on the offensive line, especially at LT or C.

3. Season-ending injury by Kris Jenkins or Shaun Ellis leaves the defensive line thinner than it needs to be. Yes, Jenkins got hurt last year but we had Marques Douglas on the line last year with DeVito available as a backup to take a lot of snaps in the rotation to help cover. This year DeVito is a starter and it's not clear we have the depth to cover a Jenkins injury again or an Ellis injury if it happened.

4. Season-ending injury to David Harris or Bart Scott.

5. Mark Sanchez takes a step backwards instead of forward in his sophomore season and the Jets can't go back to ground and pound for whatever reason - including the offensive line injury possibility and Greene/Tomlinson unable to carry a huge load.

I make the odds on Revis absence leading to 6-10 about 2% and I don't say that facetiously. The Jets are better with him than without him but they're not 4 or 5 games better with him than without him. Based on last year they might not even be 1 game better with him.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Rams have decided against trading for Vincent Jackson.

The Rams "talked about the possibility" of acquiring Jackson but were apparently scared off by his asking price or the Chargers' -- or both. Barring a last-minute surprise, it looks like V-Jax will not be dealt.

4. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

woops.............

5. bojanglesman

[​IMG]

6. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (10 Days Until MNF)

Jackson is fucked then. He has to sign before the first game or he misses until round six.

7. Br4d

I believe he has to be on a roster by midnight tonight or he cannot return without 3 games notice. And yes, for the short-term VJ is totally screwed if that happens. He has some chances to make up ground next year as a UFA instead of an RFA and that's his hope at this point.

For the record, if his contract demands are accurate (5 yrs/50 million) then he did this to himself, because no WR is worth that kind of cap space unless his name is Fitzgerald, Randy Moss or Andre Johnson, and even then I think it's too much unless you think the guy is a lock to catch 100 balls for 1,500 yards and 10 TD's.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You do realize that the chances of winning with that piece of shit are only marginally better than winning without him, don't you? Do you really think he is all that important in the larger scheme of things? The Jets don't. He is a CB..they know it..too bad so many others still don't.

9. IATA

IATA Trolls

Correct, he needs to be signed by 12EST or he has to provide 3 games notice, after the suspension ends.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Obviously I was joking with my Sanchez remark. Gpod post btw

Aside from that, I do not believe there is a CB on the face of this earth worth 4-5 games on his own and debateable if there ever will be.

We saw Sanchez last year singlehandidly lose 4. If he regresses that number can easily increase. I don't believe he will be that bad.

Injuries can play a huge part in the scheme of things. So like you said if an ILB gets hurt the Jets are in trouble. There is not one player on the roster that can replace Harris or Scott. Harris is a monster and Scott does all the dirty work. They are arguably the best ILB tandem in the NFL.

The offensive line I think has enough in the middle with Turner and maybe Hunter. On the outside if Woody or Brick get hurt the Jets season is down the tubes. There is no adequate replacement for either and the prospect of sticking Ducasse on the outside is nauseating.

I think something you didn't mention is special teams. ST was part and parrcel to 2 losses last year during the regular season. The Jets lost arguably their best St'er in Wright. That is a big loss to fill. As well as the unit has looked in the preseason there hasn't been a gunner that particularly stands out. Also there is a chance Folk might suck.

These events seem very unlikely to me and I can not predict injuries you just never know, it is a violent sport. I do not see this team as a 6-10 team conversely they are not a 13-3 team either.

#11190 Miamipuck, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I saw on the NFLN crawl that Jackson is willing to sit 10 games.

He won't be back this year with the Bolts. oh well.

12. bojanglesman

We certainly are going to find a lot out about ourselves after game 1.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

There never was a doubt in my mind that he was going to sit. Those agents want that. If they get a new collective bargaining agreement, VJ should be grandfathered in as a UFA. He was one of the players that got screwed with the years of service rule that made him an RFA.

F & S were willing to wait it out for a year. I can understand because it kind of makes sense for VJ but for Revis not so much.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Well... Revis contribution is more than marginal...

The point is we cannot sign him to a bad contract and possibly frack up our future... NO PLAYER is bigger than the franchise...

15. Br4d

Yeah, I figured. The thing that is kind of amazing is that I think this Jets team could win 7 or 8 games with Kellen Clemens at QB. They'd be totally capped at that level but I really think the rest of the team is good enough that they wouldn't fall off of a cliff if Sanchez got hurt. That said, any real shot at a great run requires Sanchez playing the whole season.

Special Teams is important but I don't think even a real down season would drop the Jets to 6-10, although playoffs would be out of the question. I was really surprised that Westhoff's unit was not an unconditional positive for the Jets last year. The Miami game with the two KR's against was just a total shock to me. I expect the Jets special teams to once again be excellent covering the field this year and the only real question is Folk. I really wish the Jets had kept Feely. They obviously saw a chance to upgrade kicker long-term and jumped on it. Westhoff must have had some say in that and so I hope it works out.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

But at that point why not play this year? He could've made an extra couple of mills...

Is it better to hold out to avoid injuries?

For Revis it makes no sense... he's under contract for 1'000 years...

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/jets_prepare_to_open_their_sea.html

Harball Tanny... I like it...

Jets prepare to open their season without cornerback Darrelle Revis
    By Jenny Vrentas

As the Jets pared down their roster today to the requisite 53 players, they had to consider one factor they had hoped would not be relevant at this point: the absence of All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“Darrelle is not here, and we’ve planned accordingly,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum said on a conference call with reporters. “We feel good about our depth at corner. We have six guys that can help us, and that’s the group we’re going to be moving forward with.”

Revis, of course, has been holding out since Aug. 1 for a new contract. The Jets and Revis’ agents have not found common ground during more than seven months of negotiations, and while there has been a media blackout since mid-August, there have been no indications that a resolution is near.

Tannenbaum cited the confidentiality agreement when asked if he was shocked Revis was still not here, or if he still had hope the top cornerback would return by the Sept. 13 opener.

With the Jets’ Monday Night Football debut just nine days away, the Jets have six cornerbacks not named Revis on their 53-man roster: Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Drew Coleman, Marquice Cole and Brian Jackson. Revis is on the reserve/did not report list and does not count toward the 53 -- nor does Santonio Holmes, who is suspended for the first four games of the season.

“We have to move forward,” Tannenbaum said. “We’re playing ball in a little over a week, and that’s what we’re prepared to do. We feel good about the roster we have; we feel good about our coaching staff. Over the course of a 16-game season, there are going to be a number of players that are unavailable. Traditionally it’s for injuries; one happens to be a contract issue.”

The Jets and the Ravens will each be without injured players when they meet in Week 1, outside linebacker Calvin Pace (broken bone in foot) and Ravens safety Ed Reed (hip). Tannenbaum cited these absences as an example of how teams are never “whole” during a 16-game season, when asked if the Jets feel whole without Revis.

The Jets would start Cromartie, acquired via trade, and Wilson, their first-round pick, if Revis has not returned. Jackson, an undrafted rookie out of Oklahoma, slid into the final cornerback roster spot.

“Rex (Ryan) wants to play man-to-man on the back end,” Tannenbaum said. “Depth at that position was a necessity. Obviously without Darrelle here, that necessity gets exacerbated.”

The roster as it stands now is likely not how it will look on opening day. Waiver claims are due tomorrow at noon, and Tannenbaum said he expected the Jets would make some.

They could be looking for defensive or offensive linemen, linebackers or a special-teams ace. Tannenbaum added that the roster is about 2,000 to 3,000 calories from being finalized, referring to the snacking that would go on as they met late into the night.

Notes:

++ Five running backs -- Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson, Joe McKnight, Danny Woodhead and Chauncey Washington -- are currently on the roster, though Woodhead also plays receiver. Despite the struggles of McKnight, a fourth-round pick, in the preseason, Tannenbaum said they "feel good about the research we've done" on McKnight, and said it's up to him to prove in practice that he's worthy of a spot on the active roster. Tannenbaum cited Washington's physical running style and special teams production as reasons why they kept him, and also said QB Mark Sanchez praised his pass protection dating back to their days at USC.

++ The Jets kept four tight ends: Dustin Keller, Ben Hartsock, Matt Mulligan and Jeff Cumberland. Tannenbaum reasoned that good tight ends are hard to find, and the Jets "feel dramatically better" about the position than they did a year ago. They are excited about undrafted rookie Jeff Cumberland's future.

++ WR David Clowney hung onto his roster spot. Tannenbaum mentioned his explosive ability and said his roster security would be "enhanced" if he can be more consistent on kick coverage, particularly replacing former gunner Wallace Wright.

++ QB Erik Ainge is still on the reserve/did not report list, not counting toward the 53-man roster. Tannenbaum said the team has his rights as of right now, but there is not much to discuss at this time.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No, sorry my bad. I do not think there is any one reason why the Jets would be a 6-10 team, other than a bunch of key injuries. Certainly even a special teams train wreck would alone, not cause the Jets to be a 6-10 team. That would be preposterous with this staff.

I am not sold on the worries of losing Jay Feely. When the chips were down he missed some key kicks. Sure he was a leader and a gung ho guy. I get that. However, really he wasn't indispensible by any stretch. So far Folk as been more than adequate. I think the team is ok here.

I can see everything we listed adding up to a larger disaster. That would take a season of epic disasters. I just don't see the doomsday scenario happening. I am just not one of those people.

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I guess they feel otherwise. I would have just said F-it and played. Obviously they consider the injury angle more important. Those agents are holdout guys, they use it as a wmd.

Also, I do not imagine dealing with AJ Smith is a walk in the park. It is 2 bullies in the park that will not budge.

20. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

This is a fucking horror story. We need this greedy fuck week 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.