The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Raiders traded for Mike Haynes in the 1983 season. He only started three games but he did play opposite Lester Hayes in the crushing win over Washington in the Super Bowl. He

But of course there are many ways to win a Super Bowl. I never said you HAVE to do it with two shut down corners. But Ryan has built this D to rely on corners who can play man. It's beyond dispute.

Can the O be good enough to outscore opponents, including NE, Indy and NO? Perhaps. I wouldnt' count on it, though.

Will the pass rush be strong enough to not have to rely on blitzes so much? Perhaps. Wouldn't count on that, either.

THIS team is not the Tampa Bay team that won the SB using the cover 2. I am talking about this team.

2. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

Ding DIng fucking Ding,

We have a total of 1 legit passrusher, that is clearly past his prime. And although our offense has shown ability to be good, lets not kid ourselves were not the Saints nor the Colts, hell were not even the Pats on offense.

Rex relies on having more guys rushing than you have blocking. It works, if you have great corners, which is what we have IF we have Revis, thats a big if

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The group is good enough unless Drew Coleman has to play. Then there's a weak link that the Jets can't survive against a good QB.

If Lowery really isn't a good enough nickel then the Jets need to go trade for a nickel. Wilson looks like he's going to be just fine on the outside on the #2's at this point and Cromartie looked great in pass defense last night.

Paying Darrelle Revis a cap busting amount because our 3rd corner might not be up to snuff, although I think he probably is, and our 6th corner is a hole on the roster is just a silly concept.

The only guys who really devastated us with the slot receiver last year were Brady and Peyton. They did this because they looked for the slot guy first, correctly defining that as the mismatch on the field.

Brady did this in game 2 despite the Jets having their full complement of defensive backs available to cover Welker. He did this because the Jets couldn't bring real pressure without blitzing a safety from the outside, leaving Welker free to release into 1-on-1 coverage in the middle. With Wilson there the results would have been the same. Wes Welker is a great receiver. You need to find ways to neutralize him that go well beyond 1-on-1 coverage because if that worked he wouldn't be the great player he is.

Peyton destroyed the Jets with Collie because their depth was so bad at that point that they couldn't cover the two outside receivers adequately let alone Collie. Sheppard was slumping and Strickland got hurt. That left the Jets helping out a corner on the outside and left some poor soul (just about everybody got a chance) trying to stop Peyton from playing pitch and catch with Collie.

Darrelle Revis found out that being on an island wasn't so much fun when the sharks circling it were eating the Jets alive. He even gave up a few uncharacteristic completions that hurt the Jets, because really a cornerback can't put the team on his back and carry them the way a NT or MLB can.

The Jets don't NEED Revis. He'd be nice to have and they'd be better on the field but what they really need is a cornerback who can compete at the nickel and keep Drew Coleman off the field at all costs.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Pace is a legit pass rusher, and Jenkins taking up a 2nd blocker makes it easier for everyone. If they only use one to block Jenkins, he becomes a legit pass rusher.

5. Br4d

And Shaun Ellis is a very good 3-4 pass rusher. You don't get a lot of sacks out of the left end in a 3-4. He does just fine in maintaining pressure on the side and forcing the right tackle to block him instead of just handing him off to a guard and sealing off that side of the rush.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Revis will be back. I just hope it's in time to play week 1 which means by the week after next. He isn't in shape and I'm sure they have made some changes to the defense.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

all this talk about the Jets not needing Revis is ridiculous. He eliminates our opponent's best Receiving threat from the offensive equation.....Cromartie and Wilson aren't there yet skill-wise and who knows if they will be.....they're talented...but Revis is elite status.

Some of you need to go back and watch some games from last season....to refresh your memories on how important Revis is to this defense.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow, talking about pass rushers and not one person mentions that guy we picked up from Miami. He has a few sacks in the past too.

9. Br4d

1983 is 27 years ago now. Even assuming that the Raiders cornerbacks were why they won, and I'm more thinking it was because the Raiders totally shut down Riggins and the Hogs, the game is so different you can't make good comparisons now.

10. ........

........ Trolls

I assumed that's who the poster meant when he said "One legit pass rusher who is past his prime". Judging from the responses, I'd say other posters made the same assumption.

11. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

a trade was dicussed, MIKE T.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjet...rade, "but I doubt it." Huh? Which is it?

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

jesus h. christ.....this article is a week old.

c'mon man.

13. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Another guy that needs to have a beer over at Mantoloking Road Pub

:breakdance:

Fall on a prop at Kurt's marine will ya please...

14. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Robot bunny is furious.

16. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Is this really a shock? We kicked the tires on Jamarcus Russell for Christ's sake.

"Every Rock, Every Day" - Mr. T.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You asked for an example and I gave you one, and you are ignoring that the Jets need a strong D, with a D that is designed around the ability of Revis, to win.

This good enough crap is lame. Good enough to be as good as last year's team that went 9-7 in the regular season and lost to the Colts because Manning could pick on the hole at #2 all day?

The Jets let Strickland and Lito go, and tried to upgrade. With Revis, adding Cro and Kyle was an upgrade. Subtract Revis?

Not so much.

It's beyond discussion. You guys are just whistling past the graveyard, and I predict will cream in your pants more than anyone else if they do get Revis back on board, finally. Just stop with the homeristic optimism already.

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

:rofl: Come on man , it's the Arrowhead Inn on 88 and then go play with the reptiles at 88 Petworld.

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.