The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

Bingo. That's something Cato and I were talking about during the game. The anger launched at Lowery tonight was based on his poor play outside. That's nothing new. It's something we've seen since he's been a Jet and a big part of why he pushed Wilson into the starting lineup in Revis's absence. He's a much better nickel or dime back.

2. 624

624 Banned

[​IMG]

Okay I know this is true but why does he have to say this?

3. ........

........ Trolls

Either he doesn't give a shit or he somehow thinks it'll motivate Revis to want to get back and help the team. Either way, come on, Rex...

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

It depends on the context.

"Rex, do you feel that Darrelle Revis's absence has stretched the team's depth at cornerback which is why you had to put Dwight Lowery out wide later on in the game?"

There's really no other way to answer it without looking either stupid or completely disingenuous, but the way it is reported can easily be spun.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I thought the whole point behind trading Cromartie and drafting Wilson was to make the defense better than they were last season. I'm fully confident the Jets can do what they did last season. That's not good enough. Not now.

K. I'll be back later with that one.

#3885 CatoTheElder, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm sure Rex was roped into saying that. Either way its obvious we have zero depth at corner should Cro or Wilson get hurt.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis wouldn't have been anywhere near the field in the second half. What's Rex saying here? We'd have had Wilson out wide in the second half after playing the nickel in the first? Who cares? It's garbage time. That situation will never occur in a regular season game and is meaningless.

The people who played in the second half were mainly the same group of second stringers that always play in the second half in the first exhibition game. The Jets pass D looked bad because they weren't putting any effective pressure on Sorgi and Drew Coleman was on the field a lot. Surprise, surprise.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Lowery's play with the starters as the nickel(note: I'm not entirely sure about which WR Lowery is covering. For the most part, it seems to be Mario Manningham(82). Also, unless otherwise noted, assume Lowery is playing on the weakside):

- 14:14 left in the first;3rd & 14 from the Giants 17 - First Dwight Lowery sighting with the #1s. Lowery plays outside, giving Mario Manningham a 9 yard cushion. Lowery backpedals as Hagan runs a shallow in route. Manning's pass sails incomplete through Antonio Cromartie's pass.

- 2:03 left in the first; 3rd and 7 from the Giants' 12 - This actually has nothing to do with Lowery, but it's the first time I noticed Wilson with his signature finger waive in a Jets uniform. Fucking awesome to watch.

- 14:56 left in the 2nd; 3rd and 4 from the Giants' 24 1/2 - Lowery playing straight up on Mario Manningham on the outside. Manningham fakes inside and gets a clean release down the sideline. Manning throws complete to Hakeem Nicks on the opposite side of the field. Never looks in Lowery's direction.

- 14:03 left in the 2nd; 1st and 20 from the Giants' 27 - Lowery lined up on the outside against Sinorice Moss. Moss spends the entire play trying to put a move on without ever deciding which way he actually wants to go. Manning again completely ignores Lowery's side of the field and instead throws a quick pass to Ahmad Bradshaw for a seven yard gain.

- 13:25 left in the 2nd; 2nd and 13 from the Giants' 35 - Lowery again lined up against Manningham outside. Manning looks strong side then weak side, only to shit himself at the sight of the defense bearing down on him. He scrambles right and then throws that fucking shovel pass to Bradshaw.

- 11:47 left in the 2nd; 2nd and 9 from the Jets' 13 - Lowery lined up outside against Manningham. Danny "D.J." Ware takes a toss strong side for a gain of 8.

- 11:04 left in the second; 4rd & 1 from the Jets 5 - Another play that had nothing to do with Dwight Lowery but let's give it up for Brandon Jacob's contribution to the Jets' defensive effort!

...and that's it for Lowery's day as a Nickel vs. the Giants. Here's what I've learned:

This game provided very little info to analyze Lowery as a Nickel based on his play.

However, the assumption that the Jets can hide him on the inside doesn't seem to hold much water. Throughout the game, Cromartie and Wilson spent the entire time manned up against the same WRs(Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden, respectively) and the Giants all of their 3 WR sets putting Barden in the slot and bumping Manningham to the outside. We know Ryan liked to have Revis playing assignment against the same WR for the game but some people here seem to be assuming that that somehow won't affect how Ryan plays the #2 and nickel CBs.

If Ryan keeps to his system like he did last season and like he did this game, teams are going to have an easier time exposing our Nickel by simply putting their #3 WR on the outside and their #2 in the slot. That would leave us pretty much where we were in the 3rd and 4th quarters tonight.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Tannenbaum pretty much said he will trade for another CB if they don't get Revis signed so I wouldn't worry about it. That was on the SNY Jets pregame show last night.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure Revis got a chuckle out of our backup CB's getting burned by some ninth-string Giants WR last night.

11. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

That's what I was thinking. There is no backup plan at the moment without Revis, so they either need him or a new replacement.

12. Don

Yeah, I am too but I am also sure he was nervous about how the 1s played.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm guessing he didn't find Cromart and Wilson shutting down Eli and the Giants WRs too funny.

14. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I will admit, after watching last night's game again (first half), I'm a little more concerned at the limitations our defense will suffer from in Revis' absence. I'm honestly thinking a trade should be in order if he doesn't report by week 1. We'll need nickel help if Lowery can't get it together.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Definitely, and since it seems increasingly unlikely Revis will not be playing, we better hope they get some real help in there. Coleman should be cut, and Lowery belongs at safety, anyway. Not enough depth at cb.

Those here making light of last night because the Jets didn't have all their first stringers in when Lowery gave up those plays should also acknowledge it was not the Giants' first string O they were up against. Cuts both ways.

The Giants in any event have a good but not great passing attack. We don't want to see Lowery out there up against Peyton Manning and a three receiver offensive set, or a few other teams with better options than the Giants have .

16. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I think last night's bed-shitting by the reserve CBs would have happened even with Revis here, it just would have happened in the 4th quarter instead of the 3rd.

17. Don

Yeah and even if he was here Revis might not have played more than one series. They know what they with him but I am sure they wanted to see Cromarti and Wilson.

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think I preferred it when both sides were bitching at each other. The lack of news is worrying.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We all know that Lowery and Coleman would have been shredded even with Revis in the lineup, but the fact of the matter remains that after Wilson there's a HUGE dropoff in talent.

20. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Keep in mind the league we play in now - 3/4 WR sets, with speedy, pass-catching RBs in the flat and over the middle. That means there's no such thing as "reserve DBs". These guys will play and they'll play a lot. Just think of New England and some of the shot gun sets they run - it's gonna be a f***in' massacre if we don't get this s*** fixed ASAP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.