The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

oh well, maybe revis will decide to play in 2011 or 2012. Time to move on. Its unlikely that we will be offered any decent trades b/c nobody will want to pay Revis more than Aso. Maybe Revis will change his position on compensation after he sits out for a year.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That's not been their position...ever.

The Jets position is that he's outplayed his rookie deal, and deserves more money.

Right now, Mevi$' position is that the Jets should be held to Crazy Al Davis deal making.

And he's not worth it.

Tannenbaum said it after getting off the phone with the Agent.

We're willing to make you the highest paid player at the position, absent that one transaction.

If That's truly the sticking point, the Jets F.O. would be better off letting him sit out a year.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I was referring to trade, not FA. That is where the Jets have all the leverage. However, I don't expect the Jets will want Revis to simply rot on the bench for a years until he finally caves. At some point trade has to become a serious consideration.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'm not too sure anyone is playing in 2011.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

And look at it from the player's side. You could say pay me $200 mil for the next 10 years. It doesn't mean jacksh*t because it's not guaranteed.

It's all about the guaranteed money, bottom line. If they were so flexible on the guaranteed money then why isn't he signed yet?

The reason is because they're not really flexible on the guaranteed money. I dont have the number but their first guaranteed money offer was a slap in his face, you know it and I do.

Give him Sam Bradford type guaranteed money and he comes into camp tomorrow. I believe they only offered him something like 10 mil in guaranteed money which a crock for a player of his caliber.

6. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

That's likely the case, but the deal would still be a decent one. Instead of multiple 1s, they might get a deal like the one KC received for Allen.

When was the last time someone gave up multiple 1s for a non QB? Keyshawn?

Of course, a player of that caliber isn't on the market often, either.

7. JetsNation06

Of course he's worth it. If he's not worth it, then tell me one player who is worth it more than he is. This is about guaranteed money. The Jets need to give him enough guaranteed money which they have yet to do.

8. Hobbes3259

Not if the defense is any good.

At some point, Kendall,Baker (and the rest of the client base for these agents) are going to play into this....I would also suspect that the community being as small as it is the rest of the GM's watching this from the outside are not going to jump in and bail these agents, or this player out of the hole they've climbed into.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Because Revis wants 160 MM.

I don't know what you know, I'm just going by what the Jets have said. Team Revis didn't dispute what Tannenbaum said either so I think it's safe to say he wasn't lying. I mean they clearly have no problem calling him a liar.

Tannenbaum said they don't negotiate guaranteed money until they agree on total compensation. Unless you know some secret info that we don't, you're just shooting off steam.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree with that... Revis' leverage largely will come from how many teams are willing to actually pay him what he's seeking, as well as the performance of the Jets without him.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The last time a great cornerback was actually traded the price was a runningback, and the team trading the great corner threw in a 2nd round pick.

The deal looks unbalanced on the face of it but the team that dealt the cornerback had not been in the playoffs for 4 years with him on the roster and made it 2 of the next 4. The team acquiring the great cornerback played at virtually the same level they had before they acquired him.

The NFL does some silly things to get their hands on cornerbacks in free agency, but the limited trade info we have suggests that they don't actually value cornerbacks as highly as most other positions.

And yes, it was Washington trading the Hall of Fame CB plus a 2nd for the runningback, however their upswing in results suggest they had a clue when they did it. Joe Gibbs made that deal because he thought a great runningback was worth more than a great cornerback. His only mistake was in not looking closely at Denver's results over the years and realizing that Clinton Portis 2 record breaking seasons in his first 2 years didn't necessarily translate to the same thing at sea level in the humidity in Washington.

#3811 Br4d, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. 624

624 Banned

13. CatoTheElder

The deal looks unbalanced because Mike Shanahan giving away has the same effect as Bill Gates giving away a quarter.

14. Hobbes3259

No one playing his position is worth it.

Period.

10,12 mil a year..MAX.

And the Guaranteed money argument is B.S...any long term deal is going to include a hefty SB.

At the end of the day, Mevi$ is totally dependent on the Jets being nice about it.

And look at it from the Jets perspective...How much $$$$ are you willing to cough up to a guy that's holding out in the middle of his rookie deal?

15. JetsNation06

I guess you're not understanding what Im saying. I'll say it again. Total comp in NFL contracts is a smokescreen. Your contract can be voided at any time.

Of course they don't want to negotiate guaranteed money because they know that is the only number that they will be fully responsible to pay Revis.

If you were signing a contract for a new business venture and you knew that you could get out of paying that contract at any time then of course you'd only want to focus on those numbers.

However if you had to guarantee a certain amount of money regardless of what happened in the future then of course you're not going to focus on that because you're on the hook for that.

Tannenbaum is not stupid. It's a negotiating ploy by the FO to make it look like they're doing right by Revis by offering him $120mil which, again, is not guaranteed.

Why hasn't Tannenbaum stepped up his guaranteed money offer to Revis? Hmmm I wonder why. The only way this deal gets done is if the guaranteed money offer is somewhere in the realm of $25 to $35 million. You heard it here first.

16. CatoTheElder

In all fairness, this is a point I'd much rather see be made by the NFL market than opinions on a message board, my own included.

If one team is willing to pay him that much than he probably isn't worth it. If a few are, then maybe he is.

I think both sides need to be more flexible on their limits for a new deal and I think both sides are at fault for not getting a deal done even though I'm on record as saying that I'm more willing to see Revis win this one outright than the Jets. Sue me, Hail to Pitt.

17. Hobbes3259

He's looking for way more than that.

He just walked away from 21 Mil. (1 in 2010,5 in 2011,15 in 2012)

Unless of course you're willing to believe that the 1,4 year deals the Jets offered him contain NO guaranteed money.

18. CatoTheElder

There is some truth in here. Tannenbaum can write up a 10 year/$160 million deal easily. Substitute the word "bonus" for "escalator" enough and the Jets would have protected themselves against performance.

Look at Brick's deal, he has to be on the field for a certain percentage of ST plays and I think block a kick or two to reach the total compensation in his contract, regardless of wether or not he gets hurt.

19. CatoTheElder

Was this season supposed to be guaranteed?

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of how NFL contracts work. Thank you.

This is how Tannenbaum negotiates contracts. First you settle on the total value, then you negotiate the guaranteed portion. I'm guessing part of the reason for that is to use a percentage of the total compensation to determine the guaranteed portion.

It's nice that you have your own ideas of how NFL contracts are negotiated, but I think Tanny has a little more experience than you do.

What is stupid NFL contract negotiating analogy #421177?

Of course the deal will include a big chunk of guaranteed money. Apparently you can't get it through your skull the fact that the guaranteed part isn't up for negotiation until the total compensation is hammered out.

Team Revis is demanding $16 million/year for a long term contract. That is a fact and you cannot deny it. The Jets, and probably no NFL team will agree to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.