The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, the Jets didn't refuse to pay him at all. the only way you can even attempt to assert that in an honest manner would be if the Jets either didn't offer him a contract at all or simply offered him one so low below his value it was the equivalent on not offering it at all. but fact is, the Jets not only offered him a contract, they offered him a fair contract for his value for much more than he was making -- the Jets tried to give him more money. how does that equate to them refusing to pay him?

the only honest analysis of that situation is that Leon refused the money the Jets wanted to give him, not that the Jets refused to pay. he took the risk and lost. he made a poor chioce, git hurt, and lost his value.

2. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread ($40 million apart)

Shit, I didn't even get to respond before he was gone.

The funniest part was, I wasn't the one who attacked him.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

How did i miss this shit last night?!

it's been awhile since we had a new Applebees contender rise up thru the ranks

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

With the way these agents work.... Instead of playing without taking that deal and taking on all the risk - Shouldn't the play have been for Leon Washington to SIGN THE DEAL... Play Ball, and THEN if he lit it up and showed value closer to MJD HOLDOUT!!!!!!!

Isn't THAT the Play?

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, it is and GMs need to start adding clauses to every contract that says if you sign a deal and then hold out before it is completed you must pay back every penny of bonus money you took on a prorated basis of course.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Teams do have recourse to seek and recoup bonus money from players who violate their contract and leave from a team as a result. Look at Terrell Owens. I think the 49ers are trying to do it with Kentwan Balmer right now. Teams generally don't pursue that if they can reach amicable terms with a player because they view holdouts as a part of the business. If more agents start using the tactic heavily like Schwartz and Feinsod have, I think you'll see more teams taking action.

7. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Something for Tanny to concider. What if he did a move such as the following:
    Take the 10 year 120M he was going to offer Revis. Tell Revis its completely off the table and that he needs to come back and prove himself as a team player, at his current contract, if he ever wants to see a dime more than his current contract with the jets.

Then turn right around and make it clear that you have offered the $120M to Cro, Holmes and Pool (or name any 3 players). I think cro would sign a long term $40M contract and Holmes would sign a $60M. I bet we could lock up pool for $20M. Yes I know the whole point was to make them prove theior worth, but don't give them much gauranteed money untill the 2nd year. I think they have proven that they have come to play and that the Jets are strong enough to overcome the lockeroom issues that led them to us in the first place.

Cro + Holmes + Pool > Mevis

Obviously I would want this all done on TV on Hard Knocks for us to see.

This wasn't possible a couple of weeks ago, but now that its likely Revis is sitting out, and it seems the lockeroom issues aren't there...

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

9. ........

........ Trolls

I understand wanting to throw the gauntlet down, although I don't think it would be effective with Revis's agents. However, aside from the problem of needing Holmes and Pool to demonstrate proper behavior (former) and health (latter), the idea of throwing the bulk of guaranteed money on $120 million into next year's contracts wouldn't work. You're looking at putting roster bonuses, which would fully hit that year, onto an unknown cap in an unknown labor agreement. It could potentially cripple us if there's no lockout.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

For some reason the agents believe that the Jets are going to pay all of Revis' signing bonus this year because there's no cap. They forget that the Jets, much like any corporation, have a balance sheet.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Finally have found my first sig quote ever!

12. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

Anyone ever see the Family Guy episode when the New Yorkers come to town to watch the leaves? The one guy in Church says "You wanna go, tough guy? I'll snap you in half like an almond biscotti from Valero's on 51st Street. Best in the city!" I'm pretty sure this is the guy they were mocking in that episode.

I love New Yorkers. All they seem to do is talk about where shit is in New York. They seem to get off on telling you what street, or Borough something is at, as though anyone cares. God forbid the guy didn't tell everyone he was a boxer from Queens... because that is crucial information for the 500 people on this site to see.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Or threatening to damn someone to Hell.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Did they say that? Eesh. I mean, a team can arrange deferred payments on a signing bonus. The nice part is, it can be prorated either way for cap purposes. Not true if we are looking at hefty roster bonuses for those three guys next year.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Haha. How did I miss that post last night? That's classic.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Native New Yorkers are not as bad as the douchebags from other cities who move to New York. Basically anyone waiting on line at a Shake Shack.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

There was never a threat of damning (I don't have the power to back that up). It was only ever a matter of hope and crossed fingers.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Wait a minute. When did this happen?

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

In the TT forum. Fenwyr said that he hopes I would burn in hell for calling GreenHornet's house.

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Yes, TT forum, where it should have belonged. And I believe the quote was more along the lines of "At least Hornet will have someone to join him in hell."

Some people have no nose for sarcasm.

Please get your facts straight and stop hijacking the thread. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.