The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Actually, this seems like it could be the beginning of a reasonable compromise. If this were to be implemented (forwarding year 5 and year 6 at maximum buyback value into years 4 and 5) it would provide Revis with $29M within the first 5 years of contract. I wouldn't guarantee him that he would be the highest paid CB in the league for the 2012 season just yet (as the artcle suggests). I would just make sure that they retain his rights after his fifth year of service. As long as the Jets can slap the franchise tag on him in 2012 then that's good enough (from the Jets persspective).

I might guarantee that he be paid as the average of the top three or five CB's in the league for 2012. However, from the Jets point of view, why would you want to be subserviant to one owners whim? Didn't the Aso contract help the Jets get into this mess? Who says it wouldn't happen again? Personnally, I'd like to see this short term compromise rather than some monster $120M - $160M long term deal (with a huge signing bonus).

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

exactly my point....but you dont' think the masses will be crying for the return of Revis if our pass defense ends up in the shitter and we're losing games?

I don't think it will end up this way....because our HC and DC are defensive masterminds.......but i never EVER count out "shit hitting the fan" with this franchise.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The point of the frnachise tag is to give a team a year, maybe two at the outside, to work out an acceptable long-term deal with a player they can't afford to lose. There's no expectation that anybody is going to use the franchise escalators to establish base compensation as Davis and the Raiders did. The escalators are written to be harshly punitive to a team for restraining a player's ability to pick his own employer when he is no longer under contract. Davis just completely misused the escalators and so the overall salary structure for cornerbacks is completely screwed up until Aso's deal is finished. If he had done this with QB's we'd have a 25 million a year QB right now working on a 3 year 75 million guaranteed deal.

It's a sad thing to say but if Revis is really set on using Al's lunacy as his basis then there's no place for him in the Jets future salary structure. The only question is whether the Jets can trade him for acceptable value or whether they're stuck in his Mexican standoff until things get to painful for him to maintain it.

#3163 Br4d, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I would be shocked if the Mevi$ camp agreed to allowing the franchise tag to be used. I think that alone makes this idea a non-starter. Secondly, it is not clear to me that the Jets can guarantee $20M on a contract this year due to the reallocation rule.

It may be that Revis is unwilling to accept what the Jets can/are willing to offer.

Time to move to the next step... Trade/full year holdout. I have no hope of seeing Revis in green and white again.

5. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

What other team is going to even have room for the $160M/10 including $40-50M signing bonus that the Mevi$ team is demanding? Does that team have the players/picks the Jets would demand in exchange?

Revis is under contract for three more years but is demanding a contract as if he were a free agent. The Jets should demand trade value equal to the three years of contract remaining for a pro-bowl player but the team trading for the player would have to treat him like a free agent. What team would pay free agent money to a player they just gave up significant value for?

6. JetsAllOverYoFace

JetsAllOverYoFace New Member

RichCimini quoted this on his twitter

" Braylon Edwards opposes Rex's idea to have Darrelle Revis meet w/ entire tm. Says it would make 1 plyer seem bigger than tm."

So this is actually a possibility and not just a ploy to makie revis feel guilty for doing this to his team?

I would love to this see this meeting on hard knocks

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Its all up to Revis. He can work out a deal w/the Jets or he can insist on the Jets doing a deal that would harm the team. Tannenbaum is not going to harm this football team for one great player. It would be stupid to do that. It would be stupid to do that regardless of what their record is after 4 games or 14 games.

8. teknopath

teknopath Member

The holdout was purposely orchestrated to provide for a more suspenseful season of Hard Knocks.

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

This is a good analysis. Why the Raiders did this deal I'll never understand. However, if every single team were beholden to one team's moves at every position then the player's salaries would go up even faster than they are now. The fact that Revis doesn't want to take these circumstances (as well as the fact that Aso actually completed his contract) is disconcerting.

And although there is no direct correlation between what the player's make and what fans pay to go to the games, buy food, parking, etc., if you think that there is no impact then I think you're misguided. Therefore, if people are fine with salaries escalating out of control be prepared to pay more to go to the games, pay for direct TV, etc. The money to pay these players come from somewhere.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The point of a trade would be to let Revis agents go establish their best deal, reserving the fact that the Jets are not going to trade Revis in the AFC East and then work out a trade with the team best willing to meet his demands. Revis might well find that the Jets offer is his best possible deal, at which point he takes their offer. However if he finds a better deal out there and the team is willing to give the Jets decent compensation for him then they do that instead.

There is no alternative for Revis here. If he actually puts himself in the position of only playing for the Jets and only for that outlandish contract that he wants then he sits and the Jets just toll over his contract endlessly since he is not fulfilling it. It would be a harsh and punitive thing for the Jets to do but it is within the rules and it's a pretty harsh thing Revis is doing to them now.

11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I pray that Pool is a big step-up from Sherry this year. I think if he plays well, it would close the gap on the loss of Revis.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Right. Thats why the Jets have the leverage: They don't have to pay him more than they should and they don't have to trade him for less than he is worth. If he wants to play for the Jets he knows that he will have to work out a deal that fits within the rules, parameters and salary structure. A refusal to accept that reality is an impediment. He needs to "Come to Jesus" or this doesn't get done.

13. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

14. MaddJettFann

MaddJettFann Banned

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by johnny
    Actually, this seems like it could be the beginning of a reasonable compromise. If this were to be implemented (forwarding year 5 and year 6 at maximum buyback value into years 4 and 5) it would provide Revis with $29M within the first 5 years of contract. I wouldn't guarantee him that he would be the highest paid CB in the league for the 2012 season just yet (as the artcle suggests). I would just make sure that they retain his rights after his fifth year of service. As long as the Jets can slap the franchise tag on him in 2012 then that's good enough (from the Jets persspective).

I might guarantee that he be paid as the average of the top three or five CB's in the league for 2012. However, from the Jets point of view, why would you want to be subserviant to one owners whim? Didn't the Aso contract help the Jets get into this mess? Who says it wouldn't happen again? Personnally, I'd like to see this short term compromise rather than some monster $120M - $160M long term deal (with a huge signing bonus).

You might be right. However, if you think about it, if the Jets were to move up the timetable of his contract and they could agree on the sixth year to be the average of the top three or five salaries we're probably talking about the sixth year being in the $12M - $15M range. Therefore, the Jets would be taking the last three years of the contract originally valued at $16M (at the max buyback) and would be guaranteeing a total of $32 - $35M dollars (over those three same years). That's a 100% raise for a guy that's under contract that theoretically the Jets don't have to do anything. To me that would be eminently fair and I bet that if the Jets did that than any public sympathy that Revis had will be diminished. It would make the "$1M dollar for the best CB in football" talk moot at that point.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The only way losses help Revis is if we lose by one or two TDs in the air. The only thing that strengthens his case is if his impact is obvious, and it's only obvious if Cromartie and Wilson are getting torched, which is doubtful.

Whatever leverage Revis thought he might have had defnitely went out the window last night. His team made the choice to fight this out through the media, and they were exposed last night on Hard Knocks.

Revis needs to get his ass to Cortland, sit down in a room with Mike T and his agents, and hammer something out within the next few days. Otherwise, he's just going to wind up losing at least a year of his career, which does no good for his salary demands.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Interesting to see that the Jets are now apparently refusing to discuss Revis and there may be a truce in terms of the war of words. Could be a good sign that they are working on something in a constructive fashion.

18. BigGorilla

BigGorilla New Member

No it doesn't become ONLY, 40 is 33% of 120 or 25% of 160.
    When was the last time someone of this board got a raise of 25 or 33%.
    $40M is more than 99% of the posters on this board will make in a LIFETIME.

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I agree with this approach.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think the importance of Revis shutting down one side of the field is overlooked here. There are way more Franchise Qb's in the league and Hall of Fame than shut down Cornerbacks. They come one or two a Generation. Im not saying pay him all his money but a large chunk of it should be Guaranteed. Can we blame him for not being the next Leon Washington or Thomas Jones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.