The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Well Favre does want to honor his contract but GB has said that if he reports he will not be allowed to compete or even play. That is ridiculous. However, if Brett takes a bribe, which Goddell should not allow, then I lose all respect for him. That would be a black mark on football.

2. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

Chadwick Is Or Qb, Like It Or Not.

3. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

The only way Favre comes out on top (not wallet wise) in this whole mess, is if he takes a pay cut and backs up Rodgers. Not the biggest Favre fan right now.

4. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

wtf are you talking about? They never said he he wouldn't be allowed to play. They said he'd be the backup. They said they'd moved on and spent the last five months getting Rogers ready to play QB. Get your facts straight before you criticize.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets are not second rate! Sure, he is going from possibly the best franchise in NFL history to one that is not so great (if he would come to New York) but the Jets are not second rate! Wait a sec, yes the Jets are.... :sad:

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Ya know, I always wondered how anyone in LA could ever root for the Clippers...then I looked in the mirror.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

While I don't agree with what he did here, I fail to see how it was self centered. He was doing something for his friend when the game was in hand. Please - explain how the NFL would "come down hard" on anyone else - that's bullshit.

I think someone who has put in the time and has the credentials that he does has the right to take their time making such a big decision. This year the packers pressured him to make a decision in March, and look what happened. I've heard lots of professional atheletes talk about how difficult it is to let go when it's time to retire. I guess you know all about that though.

He's a competitor that wants to win and was fed up with the team not going out and getting players. Tom Brady made similar comments about the Patriots when they got rid of Deion Branch. I guess it's OK for him.

what?

He wanted to play for the Packers but they don't want him to play. Don't give me the "they offered him the 2nd string spot" bullshit because you know damn well he's a starting QB. Again, he wants to play for a team he believes is a superbowl contender. Is that so bad?

The packers brought that offer to him, he didn't request it. You are speculating what is going through his mind when you have no clue. I thought you dealt with facts?

You're talking about a guy who has been there for the same team for years upon years in an era where athletes change teams every couple of years for more money.

He played through injuries and pain, never missing a game, to help his team win.

He played almost an entire season with a broken thumb in his throwing hand to help his team win.

The day after his father died he was playing football to help his team win.

And here's a few other things that show how self centered he really is if you want to look at some facts.

- Established the 'Brett Favre Fourward Foundation' in 1996, its mission to provide aid to disadvantaged or disabled children residing in Mississippi and Wisconsin; in conjunction with his annual golf tournament, celebrity softball game and fundraising dinners, foundation has donated in excess of $3 million to charities in the two states

In 2005 the charity took on a new cause, raising money in support of Hurricane Katrina relief; the efforts raised approximately $1 million to be used in the state's three Gulf Coast counties: Hancock, Harrison and Jackson

Among the other groups the Favre Fourward foundation supports in Mississippi are Special Olympics, Make-A-Wish, Candlelighters for Childhood Cancer, MHG Development Foundation (which promotes community wellness through Memorial Hospital), Hope Haven (a home for battered women and children) and Gaits to Success (therapeutic horsemanship for the mentally disabled) - the latter two are located in the county (Hancock) where he grew up

- Among organizations in Wisconsin, he has given to the Rawhide Boys Ranch, Make-A-Wish, Special Olympics, CASA of Brown County, Cerebral Palsy of Wisconsin, Easter Seals of Wisconsin, Green Bay Press-Gazette Education Program, 'Give a Kid a Book' program, the Back to School Store and Syble Hopp School in De Pere

- Held the seventh annual 'Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game' June 11, 2006, at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, Wis., the event, attended by over 8,000 fans, generated roughly $130,000 for his foundation - all of which stays in Wisconsin; in nearly a decade, the event has raised more than $700,000

- Annual fundraising dinner in Green Bay has featured Hall of Famers Starr and Paul Hornung; in eight years the event has raised more than half a million dollars

- In 2003 and '04, hosted a similar dinner at his Hattiesburg home, raising $140,000

- Also has raised more than $1.3 million for the Boys & Girls Club of Green Bay over the past 12 seasons by donating $200 for each touchdown pass and rushing TD he has, a monetary total augmented by matching corporate contributions

- Ran a similar program, benefiting a scholarship fund at Southern Miss, during the 1997 and '98 seasons, which raised roughly $250,000

- Taped a public service announcement in the 2000 offseason for local and state Red Cross Awareness, himself more aware of disaster-type situations after experiencing a harrowing, early-March tornado that year at his Hattiesburg, Miss., residence, the storm heavily damaging his property and leaving him fearing for his life

- Received the 'Community Service Award' from the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce in August of 1997 in recognition of his work with the area Boys & Girls Club, in addition to Special Olympics and Cystic Fibrosis

- Has worked at Thanksgiving with the Salvation Army in Green Bay and Gulfport, Miss., to donate food baskets to needy families

- Was named as one of 100 "Good Guys" in sports by The Sporting News in July of 2000 in recognition of his civic responsibility and character

- Had his fourth grade teacher, Billy Ray Dedeaux of Hancock North Central Elementary School in his native Kiln, Miss., named as the NFL's 'Teacher of the Month' for September, 1994

8. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

Pennington discussion in D. Banks SI.com

From D. Banks column in SI.com (sorry, can't post link as I don't have enough posts yet). Interesting theme from the media: (1) The media praises Pennington (below) and (2) calls him back-up material (at times). It seems to me the media is smart by half.
    ----------------------------

Conventional wisdom says Chad Pennington is locked into yet another training camp competition for the Jets starting quarterback job, this time with third-year man Kellen Clemens. But that's not the whole story, as the nine-year New York veteran is well aware. Every move he makes these days is with the specter of the Jets' interest in Green Bay legend Brett Favre looming over him.

Don't think for a minute that the Jets aren't keeping their hand in the Favre trade talks, waiting to see if Green Bay grows weary enough of the saga to move him to the AFC team that wears the closest thing to a Packers shade of green. But for now, Pennington plays on, taking the early unspoken lead in camp over the, at times, inaccurate Clemens, and waiting like the rest of us to see what develops on the Favre front.

This isn't his first rodeo, of course. He's a survivor, and reports of Pennington's perennial demise as the Jets starter tend to be greatly exaggerated. When they finally do run No. 10 out of New York, it'll seem like a farewell that was three or four years in the making. With the Jets once again shopping Pennington's job around, I asked him Thursday if he's prone to go home and scream into his pillow these days?

"Oh, yeah,'' he said, minutes after the close of a sweaty two-hour morning practice. "I go home and blow some steam off. I'm getting ready to do it here in a second.''

Pennington was smiling as he said it, but the truth is he's as quietly steamed as the summer weather about the Jets' stealth-like pursuit of Favre. In fairness to the Jets front office's side of the story, New York believes any move that will improve its roster is fair game, and the team has told Pennington that. But that doesn't mean Pennington has to like it. And he doesn't. Although he knows how the game works by now, and won't deem to plead his case in the court of public opinion.

"One thing I've learned after nine years is I have no control what the organization does. None whatsoever,'' Pennington told me. "All I can control is what happens in between these white lines. As a younger player I'd probably have a harder time dealing with it. But now I've seen it, I've been there, lived it, and you know what? I believe in myself. I believe in how I play this game, and that's good enough.''

Pennington is going about his business in Jets camp. So far, just like you knew he would, he has looked like the more efficient, better prepared quarterback in the two-man competition. While Clemens is reported to have thrown six interceptions in team drills, Pennington has yet to have a pass picked off. So what else is new?

When I asked him if it were possible to screen out all the Favre buzz, Pennington was straightforward: "It's possible,'' he said. "Now, is it easy? No, it's not easy. Absolutely not. It can [get to me]. That's why you have to have good people around you. I bounce stuff off my wife, my Dad, and my friends. You just keep a close support group that can help me get through stuff like this, because I don't think you can ever do it on your own.''

Pennington doesn't ride the emotional rollercoaster like he did earlier in his career, and he has almost gotten used to being on New York's endangered species list every year. Almost.

"I think that's part of living in New York, where it's always the next, greatest and latest thing,'' he said. "It has tested me, not only as a football player, but as a man. I think it's made me better.''

Who knows, Favre may still surface in New York at some point soon. But for now, Pennington is still standing. Still the guy the Jets are most likely to turn to when they open the season Week 1 at Miami. Every year it seems to get harder to remember a time when he wasn't.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Fuck Brett Favre, He's Not Coming Here!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

God, I can't wait for this Favre shit to be over with. I just want our offense to gell and get used to working with one another and do the best we can with what we've got.

49 pages of posts. What a clusterf*ck.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good read JETSFANDC. If Pennington is the Week 1 starter the Jets will be 1-0. He DOMINATES the Dolphins. Besides that game, the rest are a crapshoot.

[​IMG]

12. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Considering there's already a QB competition going on, and each QB is only getting half the first team snaps in TC, that's going to be difficult either way...

In fact, if Favre were brought in and made the starter immediately, the offense would probably gel better than it will currently...

Not that I'm advocating that idea- but as far as the gelling offense goes, one clear-cut starting QB is always better than a competition....

13. VeniVidiViridis

VeniVidiViridis New Member

Sorry that's BS. The offense will not have a chance to "gel" around Favre just because he would take all TC snaps... not even worth comparing to how well CP knows this offense (and even KC).

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Well, I think you BOTH have good points. How's that for being politically correct?

But seriously, yeah, I see Beaman's point... one QB is a faster gell. But our current QBs have had so many snaps now... I mean... how many hours each? As far as gelling, you might as well say Penny already has it and Clemens is not far behind.

Then you bring in Favre and ... OHHHH-KAAAAAY..... here we go again!

15. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Bottom line: the Jets wanted Favre, and Favre's a fucking baby.

Nothing we didn't already know.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

"Here we are," Manning said. "I'm out at my third Pro Bowl, I'm about to go in and throw a touchdown to Jerry Rice, we're honoring the Hall of Fame, and we're talking about our idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1piy8Zxddw[/youtube]

hehe - had to do it.

#976 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Haha...you got me. But I meant a football player teammate, not a kicker.:wink:

18. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Don't think this was posted, a little update.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-3-4/Next-move-is-Favre-s.html

19. allan1

allan1 Active Member

so basically, nothing has changed

he can make a lot more by playing the next two years then accepting the bribe.

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I think that is the case allan1, and Favre would make 20 mill in his first year in NY with his base salary and the zillion(s) of endorsement deals to be had. So why is this so hard for him to grasp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.