The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This is what I am starting to think, too. If this was going to happen, I think he would be talking to us already. I have read in numerous articles that he has not made any attempts to communicate to us or anyone else - given our apparent attempts. The only minor exception would probably be Minnesota, but no way GB lets Favre go there.

End result - we better start rooting for Chad, one heck of a running game, and our defense because Clemens appears to be having trouble.

2. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

He wants to be released so he can play for whatever team he wants, more than likely the Vikings. If he's not released he will retire. The Packers should just call his bluff, bring him in, and let him play backup. The problem would go away quickly.

3. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

If I am the Packers, I make the following offer to the Jets and Bucs:

They send some no name, training camp scrub to the Packers for Favre. If Favre wants to take a few days to think it over, he can, but he will be fined for each day he sits out. If Favre shows up and is playing on opening day, then a 3rd round pick is thrown into the deal. And that pick can escalate to a 2nd or even a 1st depending on how well Favre plays and how far the team goes.

The Packers will be calling Brett's bluff. If he decides he is not interested in playing for the team to which he is traded, he can re-retire. Nothing is lost but a guy who wasn't making the team anyway.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

^^I just don't agree with the escalation to a second or first rounder based on performance - it is just one year with Favre, whereas, with a first rounder, you would like to beleive that the player will end up helping you for at least 4 to 6 years (with the recent exception of DRob given when he was selected).

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well we could always throw in a clause stating that for it to escalate into a higher pick, Farve has to come back next year,

6. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

As for the avatar, he happened to be one of the greatest college football linebackers of all time. His NFL career was shortened by injuries. As for "you" wanting an "unhappy Favre", I say no thanks to that. It will backfire on us because it is always "all about Favre" We will win more games with Pennington than the wild gunslinger favre

7. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It aint happening.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In this I agree with you completely. He really only wants to play for Green Bay or Minnesota. At this point I would guess he's leaning more toward Minny.

cough Adrian Peterson cough

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Aside from thinking he's overrated, this is the main reason I wouldn't give up too much to get him, if anything. If professional team players like Art Monk and Ronnie Lott, whose NFL resumes were as good or better than Favre's, could come here and look average in Jet green playing on turf at the end of their careers, I don't see it going much differently for Favre. I'm sure there would be a few spectacular moments to make ESPN and the like cream themselves for a few days, but I don't see us going anywhere we can't go without him. Wherever that may be.

10. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Lott was really good his first season as a Jet.

11. Italian Seafood

He was, I loved the fact that we even had him, but how did we do? 8-8.

12. steviep

steviep Active Member

I agree. BUT -- all things being equal -- if you had a choice to start CP, KC or Favre -- youd start Favre. (He is no Peyton Manning or Brady btw -- makes tons of mistakes and sometimes looks like he doesnt care). STill, much better at this point than CP.

13. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

That's exactly the Packers' problem--by bringing him back the problem wouldn't go away quickly at all, it'd be there all year. He's not going to be happy being the backup, poor Aaron Rodgers is going to be looking over his shoulder all year, and every incomplete pass Rodgers makes the fans and everyone else is going to be calling for Favre to come in. It would be a circus.

14. Italian Seafood

Your key phrase there is "all things being equal" because they aren't. To get Favre we'd have to trade something of value, probably cut a few guys in addition to Chad (a given) to fit him under the cap, deal with the circus and hope he changes his mind about wanting to play here. Say what you want about the two guys we have, at least they want the job. In competitive sports that counts for a lot.

15. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

he's not going to agree to any trade it looks like. from his perspective, the packers have 4 choices:

1. start him
    2. release him
    3. keep him as a backup all year
    4. trade him

4 is the only option he can effectively block and it's worse than 1 or 2 from his perspective. by blocking 4, he forces 1, 2 or 3. the packers don't look like they have the stomach to do keep him as a backup, especially for all the money he'd make. really, he's hoping 1 or 2 happens as a result.

if he plays nice, 4 can happen, but at this point, that reduces his leverage for what he really wants, which is 1 or 2.

16. Long Time Jet Fan

He can only block a trade to a team if it's necessary to redo his contract. Otherwise, he would have to report or retire, again.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Here is the problem.....

If Favre was to be traded here and retires people will rip the Jets if Favre gets traded anywhere else he gets ripped. The Jets need to be real cautious.

18. Long Time Jet Fan

I don't think they care whether people rip them or not. They will do what they think is best for the organization.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

let me get this straight: boobway traded first round picks for d-rob, and a 2nd for mccatchless, and you have a problem with the team giving up a pick for favre?

even if he reires after one year, we still get more return than from the two previous deals...

20. SoFlaJets

SoFlaJets Member

At this point I want Farve more so for the reason that it'll mean no more Chad Pennington than almost anything else-also, it would be cool to watch a Jets QB throw 25 TDs again-what's it been a decade now?
    on edit hey GM how ya been bro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.