The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

And I dismissed any talk of Farve to the Jets. If it happens, that's it for Chad. In fact, the very fact that they received permission to talk to Farve signals the end of the Penny era. I'm shocked.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

We talked to Ly Law too, but he isn't on the team either. Its just talking.

If Favre does come here, we are drafting a QB next year. Good.

3. erlovepuck

erlovepuck New Member

To be clear by long term I mean winning a Super Bowl at some point. If this team has a better chance of winning a Super Bowl at some point in the near future by holding on to the draft picks we'd trade for Farve I'd rather not see it happen. If I thought having Farve for a year or two gives us a chance to win one now then I'd be all for it.

4. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Don't be too shocked, he can't throw more then 5 yards.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I wouldn't give up Kellen Clemens just yet. If the Jets trade for Favre, that just means they want to win now...not later. We'd win later with Clemens.

Ty Law hasn't signed anywhere yet. There's still a chance he'll come back to New York to play with his protege, Darrelle Revis, and a winning, veteran QB in Brett Favre.

6. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Football is a win now sport, and NY is a win now city. Brett Favre gives us a chance to win now. The fact is that Penny is a back-up. The fact is that Kellen Clemens just came off of the worst qb performance in the league. And I personally couldn't care less if Clemens is given a chance. I'd rather eventually sign a qb that is proven in this league than try Clemens out again.

Right now, the Jets need to sign Brett Favre, a hall of fame qb, to a contract. Maybe 2 or 3 years. If Vinny could do it, Brett certainly can.

After his tenure is up, after one or two or three years, then you decide on a new qb. But right now, in this win now sport and win now city, it's time to bring in Brett Favre.

He's a proven winner, a world-wide legend, a featured attractions, a NY Giants distraction, and the best thing the Jets could ever do!!!

Get Favre NOWWWWW!!!!!

7. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I just hope this isn't Boomer Redux

8. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Seriously people, this isn't debatable. If you don't want Brett Favre then you're a fan of losing.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I've waited 25 years that's long enough .... just give me one. To hell with long term......

All that said I'm in the air with Favre, although I'm starting to come around on the idea.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...that's what I said this morning when I saw this being reported on ESPN. There's always a chance that could happen.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's amazing that you know exactly what we'd need to trade to get him and exactly what the GB FO thinks about Penny. You must be a GM.

If a trade involving Pennington goes down, will you come back here and admit that you were wrong or will you ignore it continue to feed us your undeniable truths?

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I dunno.....if this is going to happen it has to happen in the next week, otherwise it will be too late.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was thinking about that. We could easily upgrade picks with a triangle trade. I wouldn't put it past Tannenbaum, he likes to deal.

14. Barry the Baptist

Or Neil O'Donnell.......

I just think with all the money and upgrades this team made a move like this makes sense. All I hear is the Vikings are a QB away from competing but so are the Jets. They have all the pieces in place....

OL
    DL
    RB
    WR
    LB
    DB

ST...... ugghhh maybe

QB..... definately not

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is perhaps the dumbest reason to go after a player, because it may distract a team thats not in our conference let alone division. Who really gives a shit what the Giants think about Farve. This is about the Jets chances of winning some football games not the NY area media preception.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Let's get this done. He would be a huge piece that is currently missing and a HUGE upgrade over what we have now.

17. Barry the Baptist

Yeah but could you imagine how much eberybody would rip the Jets if they got Favre and then 3 hours later he was traded?

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If you have a chance to get a first-ballot Hall of Fame QB on your team, at any stage in his career, you take it. Especially if you have at least one QB on your roster that you think could be your future.

I can't fathom how anyone can be against bringing in Brett Favre. People didn't complain about things like Vinny needing time to learn the offense a few years back, and if you honestly believe Vinny Testaverde is smarter, more talented, or less whiny than Brett Favre, I've got a collection of bridges around the country I need to unload quickly.

Maybe he comes in here and doesn't win a Super Bowl. At the same time, if you really think we're better off with the QBs we have than with Brett Favre, you know, the guy just one game from the Super Bowl last year, then you haven't been paying a bit of attention the past few years.

19. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

For everyone who's afraid of the negative ramifications, let's break this down by the numbers:

0%: Chance of winning a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years with Kellen Clemens at QB

0%: Chance of winning a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years with Chad Pennington at QB

Greater than 0%: Chance of winning the Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years with Brett Favre. Is that number 5%? 12%? Who knows? But it's a chance.

To those crying "think long term!": You do not understand the NFL. There is no long term in football beyond the next couple of seasons. You're trying to plan for 2012? Do you know how many guys on the current roster will be on that squad? Maybe 5. The Jets will not hurt their long-term chances by acquiring Favre, because it is almost literally impossible to do so in a league that fluctuates so rapidly.

If one of the greatest quarterbacks ever is coming off an excellent season and is available, and your team does not have a competent passer, you sign said quarterback. There is no debate to be had here.

#59 Keeper1125, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I honestly don't see where a good management team would muddle the water at this point by trading for even a great 37 year old QB if they thought the young guy they drafted was any good. I think if Favre comes to the Jets it's clear that Clemens busted in the Jet's management eyes.

A bad management team might do anything, lashing out in any direction to try to cover their inadequacies so that's always still a possible explanation if Favre comes in.

I look at this Jet's management team and I doubt very much that we're headed anywhere good. The plan has been weak and the creation of assets has been weak and the depth still blows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.