The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Damn it! I forgot about this. It might be the best argument for not going after Favre...

2. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

I've got a wild idea. It might sound stupid, but here goes.

Tampa made it to the playoffs last year, losing to the eventual super bowl winners. They are a better destination for Favre. However, what would that mean for Garcia? He doesn't want to be a 38 year old backup, when he's proven he can bring a team to the playoffs. He did it with the Eagles when everyone was counting him out and and he did again with the Bucs.

Garcia, like Favre, would bring a wily old vet with unparalled enthusiasm for the game. Unlike Favre however, he plays a more ball-controlled offense and takes much less chances. He only had 4 interceptions last year, in 13 games. I think his style of play would be perfect for our offense because we want to return to smash-mouth football. He doesn't throw games away like our current vet. Along with his experience he brings a cannon of an arm and decent mobility for a guy his age. Plus, his intangibles > PennyBoys intangibles. He willed the Eagles to 5 consecutive wins into the playoffs and won the first round. He came up 3 points short against the Saints. He's also got the tough skin to handle critics, he could handle New York.

So where am I going with this? Ok this is where it gets a little wild. Garcia says he wants a new contract. However, he'd still be LOADS cheaper than Favre. So, send Favre to the Bucs, cuz they think they have what it takes to go the distance. Send us Jeff Garcia, who at 38 throws much stronger than Pennington. We send the Bucs whatever pick(s) make them happy for Garcia, to help them pay for Favre.

Ok, end rant.

3. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Wha? Favre just came off of one of his best seasons in the league! Our two QBs just came off of two horrific performances! What is to debate?!!!

4. sect105

sect105 New Member

An 80 yd bomb and a loss seems to be the formula that some JETS fans are content with.

FAVRE throws 80 yard bombs in OT wins! He dit it just last year.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

What's up MEZZZZZZZZ! :beer:

Old, past his prime, etc........ Favre on the JETS still sounds exciting :jets:

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

"Drum up biz" for what?

The guy has two years and $20+ mm remaining on his deal. All he has to do is file for reinstatement and he gets that money. I doubt his agent is looking for a contract extension. Also, he probably has only a few teams he would accept a trade to (which is why he hasn't filed for reinstatement). So, I am not sure what you are talking about.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Favre's durability>>>>>Garcia's durability

nuff said.

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If this goes through I will be shocked. I don't see how we can pay Favre unless Penny is traded along with probably another player. I don't even know how we could afford to give Gholston so much Quan.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I was wondering when to bring that part up... :eek:hmy:

10. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

yes, but it was only because Favre was retiring. Now that he has un-retired, Madden is nullified :p

11. Gator

Gator Active Member

I think we should try to land him too. but I wouldn't go as far as to insult, ridicule and try to denigrate anyone that disagrees with me like you have been doing. It's an opinion..maybe the "Don't get Brett' contingent ends up being right, and even if they aren't it doesn't matter...because it's an opinion.

12. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Well, he's in a Packer uniform on the Madden cover so maybe it only applies if he plays on the Packers

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I would be glad to be wrong to see the Jets win the super bowl.

Best crow you could ever eat.

But I just don't agree, that's all.

14. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

Ok, but with our current protection at o-line it really won't make a difference. At least we won't get jerked around with the "will he" or "won't he" returns during the offseason. Garcia just wants to play the game. He wants a new contract, that shows his desire to play the game longer. With Favre, he's just taken too much of a beating, you don't know how much more he can take, or is willing to take. I say get Garcia cuz he's cheaper and won't hurt our future as much as Favre would.

15. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

I don't think I've conferred any direct insults in this thread. My approach is Socratic: if there are obvious flaws in a countering argument, I'm going to point it out.

16. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yooooo...Stinky!!!

We have to get the old timers out of the woodwork on this one...Sad, but I signed on here and fully expected to see GreenGuy and Champ rolling around in the dust in debate over this one....ce la vie...

I think it would be exciting as hell to have Favre here...one other thing people seem to forget, if the Jets pull this off...and that's a big IF....Favre will make more $$$ in endorsements here in NY than ANYWHERE in the country save for maybe Dallas. Oh yeah...don't discount that one either....he loves to play but he also, like the rest of us, loves $$$ and NY is where it's at...the all mighty marketing dollah!!!

Peace!!!

The Mezz

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He was in overtime of the NFC championship against the team that won the superbowl last year!!! That team practically shut down the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL 2 weeks later.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

"vre", "is" and "my" will probably be hidden in your fissure while striding. I don't recommend it.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man, I was wondering what it would take to get traffic on this board again. Go Brett.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nothing to debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.