The Bengals - I do NOT like this matchup for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

2nd and 8 at CIN 22 Dalton pass incomplete deep right to Green. This was a 5 step drop, release at the top of the drop and had pressure in his face from Mo.

3rd and 8 at CIN 22 Dalton quick slant to Gresham to CIN 32 for 10 yards. This was from shotgun Pace provided pressure at his feet.

1st and 10 at CIN 32 Dalton quick pass short left to Eifert to CIN 39 for 7 yards. This was from shotgun Richardson was in his face.

1st and 10 at CIN 44 Dalton pass incomplete deep middle to Sanu. This was from shotgun. We had no pressure. Sanu was wide open even though we only rushed 4.

3rd and 5 at CIN 49 Dalton quick pass short left to Sanzenbacher pushed ob at NYJ 42 for 9 yards. Shotgun rushed 4 the ball went out quick.

2nd and 11 at NYJ 43 Dalton pass incomplete deep left to M.Sanu. PENALTY on Cromartie. Shotgun rushed 4 the ball went out at the top of his drop Douzable provided pressure right as he released it.

1st and 9 at NYJ Dalton quick back shoulder TD pass short left to Jones. 3 step drop ball out at the top of the drop, no chance to provide pressure.

This is just the first drive. I will continue to re-watch the rest but I'm pretty sure this was what was happening all game. The common denominator in all the pass plays except the TD pass was that the WRs were WIDE OPEN early.

2. legler82

2nd and 8 at CIN 22 Dalton pass incomplete deep right to Green. This was a 5 step drop, release at the top of the drop and had pressure in his face from Mo.

3rd and 8 at CIN 22 Dalton quick slant to Gresham to CIN 32 for 10 yards. This was from shotgun Pace provided pressure at his feet.

1st and 10 at CIN 32 Dalton quick pass short left to Eifert to CIN 39 for 7 yards. This was from shotgun Richardson was in his face.

1st and 10 at CIN 44 Dalton pass incomplete deep middle to Sanu. This was from shotgun. We had no pressure. Sanu was wide open even though we only rushed 4.

3rd and 5 at CIN 49 Dalton quick pass short left to Sanzenbacher pushed ob at NYJ 42 for 9 yards. Shotgun rushed 4 the ball went out quick.

2nd and 11 at NYJ 43 Dalton pass incomplete deep left to M.Sanu. PENALTY on Cromartie. Shotgun rushed 4 the ball went out at the top of his drop Douzable provided pressure right as he released it.

1st and 9 at NYJ Dalton quick back shoulder TD pass short left to Jones. 3 step drop ball out at the top of the drop, no chance to provide pressure.

This is just the first drive. I will continue to re-watch the rest but I'm pretty sure this was what was happening all game. The common denominator in all the pass plays except the TD pass was that the WRs were WIDE OPEN early. Dalton NEVER had to come off his initial read.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Keep watching see how many times he had to alter his delivery from a direct throw to the WR with an open sight lane.

I don't care if it's 3 steps or 5 steps the OL men were turning our DL away from Dalton. He was playing pitch and catch. It was way to easy. We never stood up the OL and created an obstructed line of site to his WR's. It was like watching a guy throw darts at a dart board. Hell he never had to alter his delivery.

4. legler82

2nd and 4 at CIN 38 Dalton from shotgun quick short pass to Green in the middle for 9 yards.

1st and 10 at CIN 47 Dalton from shotgun quick short pass to Eifert left for 16 yards.

2nd and 7 at NYJ 34 Dalton from shotgun quick short pass and run to Jones in the middle for 30 yards.

2nd and 4 at NYJ 4 Dalton from shotgun short TD pass to Gresham for 4 yards. This was the first time he threw to his second read. He had a little time on this one even though Mo was knifing through a double team to get into his face. We rushed 4 only but it wasn't our pass rushing 4. Ellis and McIntyre were in. There was also a blown coverage as no one was w/in a mile of Gresham.

This is another drive where the secondary is solely to blame. If they provide just a little resistance at the LOS on any of those passes, it disrupts the timing and the front 4 has a chance to get to Dalton. Quick passes countered with free releases is a recipe for a 49-9 blowout.

5. legler82

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I don't see how this can be laid at the feet of the D-line. You can't allow WRs clean releases at the LOS and expect your front 4 to get to the QB on quick 3, 5 steps or shotgun passes.. At least that was the case when I played. The backend and the front end both have to do their parts. The CBs have to disrupt the WRs timing in some way to give the front 4 that extra second or 2 to make a play. That's what they were doing to us.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The averaged over 10.8 yards per attempt, 17.10 per completion. They weren't exactly dinking and dunking their way down the field. They were taking it down in chunks.

Getting to the QB and cutting his lanes off are 2 different things. It's not always about getting him it's making him throw a lower percentage pass. Dalton besides not being under pressure had very clean looks. If a QB takes a 3 step drop and the DL is pushing his OL men in his face it's a tougher throw.

#266 Biggs, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013