tebows throwing motion

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by alleycat9, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JFjets

JFjets New Member

Dude, you are just desperate to prove that Tebow has some kind of freaky-deaky, strange, never been seen in the NFL before throwing motion. The fact of the matter is that no two NFL QB's have exactly the same throwing motion. They're all a little different, but they almost all share some strong similarities, yes even Tebow and Young. The fact of the matter also is that some strange looking throwing motions have had some pretty strong success in the NFL. Philip Rivers, John Elway and Matt Schaub come to mind right off the top of my head.

If Tebow was a 50-55% completion passer in college, then sure I can see making some tweaks/changes to his throwing motion. He was a 66.8% completion passer in his college career, not the highest in NCAA history, but elite considering he was playing in the toughest conference in the nation. Sorry, you don't need to change that. His footwork, okay, but his throwing motion, no, not with that kind of career accuracy coming into the NFL. Joe Montana said he shouldn't have changed it. Steve Young said he has the ability and talent to be a good if not great NFL QB if he gets his footwork straightened out. Two of the top QB's in NFL history said these things. I'm inclined to believe them, especially as their sentiments are pretty much confirmation of what I already believed.

#81 JFjets, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

So what, a lot of people were wrong about Steve Young.

But I'm still waiting for what makes you think this is another 1 out of 100 guys that makes Tebow another Steve Young story rather than the countless other no-name scrubs who come and go in the league. The ONLY thing I have seen so far that he has that all those others didn't have is the media drooling over him. There have been guys that could run, so that ain't it.

you guys still seem to think that dropping him into the starting job will automatically mean more wins.

Feel free to believe he's really Steve Young in the making if you wish. But don't say I didn't warn ya that in a couple more years, he's more likely to resemble some scrub he had come and gone as a QB. With the difference being only the media coverage on the way.

Unfortunately, Tebow was born about 20-30 years too late for his style of game. (More running and little passing.)

#82 Concerned_Citizen, Nov 16, 2012
  3. Concerned_Citizen

You seem to think that pointing out that everyone has their quirks when throwing makes Tebow's quirks not a big deal. Ain't no getting around it, he's not connecting on passes.

If you want to argue that they screwed his throwing motion up by messing with what was working, I'll at least listen to that argument. But to point at something weird Drew Brees does, or Aaron Rodgers does, doesn't explain why Tebow looks so damn horrid throwing the ball at times. It isn't just about looking wierd either... HE"S NOT COMPLETING PASSES!!!!

THAT is the knock on him. In this pass happy league, if you can't do that, teams will find someone who will. Teh Broncos did, the jets seem to refuse to use him at QB, and I can't think of a team out there just waiting for him to be cut or to start for their team next year. Starting to wonder if even Jacksonville does.

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

It is a different shot angle, but yeah different motion. Brady's front is pointed more open to the target, better balance, better follow through... better result.

Here's the thing I really don't understand. Tim aside from throwing, is a very good football player, he's been at this for a long time, why hasn't he ever hired a throwing coach? Like golfers do when they get in a bad swing.
    I think he can fix what's wrong with his mechanics with an effort.

5. Concerned_Citizen

Well, he DID hire a coach in each of his offseasons. Even spent time with one prior to the draft. But he needs to spend more than 2 weeks on it and do less celebrity golf tournaments, appearances on the Biggest Loser, book deals, shooting commericals, etc.

Just wondering what happens if he dedicates the next offseason to is passing rather than basking in his hollywood celebrity status. A full offseason of that, I bet he can be one of the most dangerous players in the league. Gotta admire the kid for having the smarts to strike while the iron is hot, as his name will probably never be more marketable than it is now. Kinda getting in the way of his QBing though IMO.

Good news for Tebow is, I still think it is all fixable.

He reminds me of Rocky Balboa in Rocky 3. Heart and determination got him where he was, but now that he's civilized, it kinda gets in his way. Remember Mickey trying to get his attention to punch the bag, and Rocky kept stopping to flex for the cameras? Pretty much Tebow right there, as he loves the spotlight, and can't get enough of the media attention. Rocky then ended up getting stomped against Mr. T.

My advice if I were in those shoes, I'd take a page from what happened next in that movie. I'd disappear in the offseason. Get away from the cameras and fellow celebrities. go train on a mountain in Tibet if you have to. Spend all your time doing nothing else, and come back, then blow everyone away with all the hard and DILIGENT work.

What a story THAT would make, huh? Tell me THAT wouldn't sell a lot of books. Probably a movie too. Would give him EARNED hype too.

6. JFjets

JFjets New Member

You think? A lot of people were wrong about Tim Tebow to date, also, yourself included, I'm quite sure. He has accomplished vastly more in his first 16 starts in professional football than Steve Young did. Does that mean he's going to be another Steve Young? No, it doesn't. Does that mean he isn't going to be another Steve Young? No, it doesn't. All things else being equal, if they didn't know the name or the number of the player, 99% of NFL football fans wouldn't bet against a guy who accomplished what Tebow has in his first 16 starts. Since it's Tebow, though, he doesn't get the credit and benefit of the doubt that any other young NFL QB would and has gotten with a record like that.

Sorry, but if you have to ask, then you wouldn't understand.

Yeah, you were probably "warnin'" anyone who would listen a little over a year ago that the Broncos would be a disaster with Tebow at the helm last season. That worked out super well for you.

Joe Montana: he shouldn't have changed his throwing motion.

I already told you the primary reason I believe he has struggled with being consistently accurate so far in the NFL. No point in me continually arguing with you about it, my point is the same and I've felt that way from the beginning.

7. Concerned_Citizen

You're missing the point. He didn't accomplish anything most QBs wouldn't have in his situation last year. Almost every QB who started for any length of time has a VERY STELLAR record against teams that only score 15 points or less. He got that in all but 2 of his wins last year. So what is so damn special about Tebow doing it?

...and if he really did pull something special here, then why ain't he starting?

As I suspected, you have no answer. There's just something "special" about him.

bzzzzzzzt. Another dumb assumption about someone you never met. don't be like that other guy who kept falling back on the old, "you hoped your team would lose and could't stand winning with Tebow" card. you don't know WHAT the hell I was thinking at the time and you make yourself look like an idiot by making that kind of radical assumption about people.

I was actually quite neutral on Tebow until a few games after he started last year, kind of in the wait and see mode. I was happy to see wins, and happy to see the 4th quarter, but it was obvious it wasn't going to be sustainable with that erratic arm of his. Look at the big picture, I just didn't believe he could bring us a Superbowl. Enter myopic zealots like the Tebow fanatics telling us his three and outs and incompletes are either not going to be a problem or someone elses fault... yeah ONE of us is probably VERY wrong.

...and since most of the NFL seems to see it the way I do, (as evidenced by the way he seems to be treated around the league) I feel pretty comfortable with my take on Tebow.

but hey, I'm glad you take comfort in Joe Montana and some others saying something nice about him. If only he could convince someone actually getting paid to make personnel decisions, you'd be in business. Sorry, you aren't going to be able to deny away his obvious passing flaws. Maybe it is the fault of coaches, maybe not. He isn't helping himself though.

John Elway made a statement too. The loudest one of all. He decided that the Broncos were better off with Tebow on another team, even if he got a 4th rounder. Wouldn't even keep him on the roster as a special teamer. Not even for a 25 year old with his whole career in front of him to learn from Manning.

The Jets are making a statement too. They think they are better off with Sanchez despite how he has looked.

#87 Concerned_Citizen, Nov 16, 2012
  8. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Spare me the 'omg, but Denver won a playoff game' rhetoric, and explain to me how exactly Tim Tebow was good for the Denver Broncos.

He was a 1st round draft pick that cost Denver 3 high round picks, and was traded less than 2 years later for a shitty 4th round pick. That is the equivalent of buying an already overpriced stock, letting it flutter around in the market for a year and a half, all the while it's plummeting in value, and finally unloading it to anyone who was willing to buy it for pennies on the dollar.

I have a feeling that the purchaser of that stock, the New York Jets, can't wait to unload it as well. They will most likely give it away for free, in the form of cutting Tebow outright at the end of the year.

Now if someone wants to scoop up Tebow after he's cut and pay him the league minimum to ride pine while they attempt to develop him, then more power to them. The point is, is no known reality was Tim Tebow ever worth a 1st round pick. Or a 2nd for that matter.

9. Potzer

Potzer New Member

>< Yea he wasn't good for the bronco's at all.

10. phaytal

phaytal New Member

Apparently you are ignoring the last line of the Elway quote you quoted.

Since it was less than 2 years, I'd call that an incredibly shitty deal, wouldn't you?

11. Concerned_Citizen

Nice Elway quote.

But what speaks louder are actions, not nice comments.

Might have brought a nice tickle up your leg that people were saying nice good things about Tebow.

But actions... Elway got rid of him for a measely 4th rounder. A pick numbering somewhere in the hundreds. That tells me he didn't think he was worth keeping around. Not as a backup QB. Not as a project QB. Not as a RB. Not as a Special teamer.

He shipped him out of town for a jock stap, and the Jets are probaby going to cut him while wishing they could get even that. Where was that magical culture change in the Jets locker room? They're making comments to journalists about him being, "terrible!!" NOBODY seems high on bringing him in to be a starting QB.

Why? I mean, if he was so damn great for the Broncos...

You got some nice quotes. I have actions backing up my position.

#91 Concerned_Citizen, Nov 16, 2012
  12. Concerned_Citizen

Just to add more perspective of comparisons with Tebow and those who love stats... (Especially those that think tebow need to be compared to Steve Young.)

let's compare Tebow’s second year statistics with JaMarcus Russell’s sophomore numbers. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I'm comparing a fat slob QB who once showed up to training camp weighing over 300 pounds with Mr. Heart, desire, and the hardest worker in the NFL ....allegedly .

Tebow
    Completion 46.5% of his passes
    6.4 yards per passing attempt,
    12 TDs
    6 INTs

Russell
    Completion 53.8% of his passes
    6.6 yards per passing attempt
    13 TDs
    8 INT

Winning games behind a defense performing the way Denver's did is a piss poor excuse for play comparable to JaMarcus Russell. Almost a wash between the two, yet one gets deemed a savior while the other one gets the boot and for good reason. If Tebow can win with production like that behind a defense allwing less, then why not JaMarcus? How the hell is Tebow supposed to sustain drives with a completion percentage like that when possession and 3rd down conversions are so critical.

Tebow was simply lucky, but the law of averages is stacked against him. This is why I and many others are not a believer, this is why Elway moved on, this is why he's not starting for the Jets despite Sanchez's year, and THAT is why I don't believe another team is really gung ho to take a big chance on him.

but hey, keep those nice quotes under your pillow. I'm sure they will persuade someone into beliving he is something great in the making.

#92 Concerned_Citizen, Nov 16, 2012
  13. Awesomo 3000

Awesomo 3000 Banned

1. One of the reasons Tebow sucks is because sometimes the ball points backwards while he throws it.

2. Here are pictures of several of the top quarterbacks doing the exact same thing.

3. Let's compare Tebow's stats to Russel's.....

Looks like this is really going places.

14. Concerned_Citizen

good, you have no rebuttal to it.

Game. set . Match. Next....

Okay, fine... other QBs sometimes point the ball the other way. Happy? His throwing motion still sucks, and I can't find any pics of guys pulling the ball back behind their heads down to their shoulder blades like Tebow does. Maybe that is part of it. Any pictures of those?

#94 Concerned_Citizen, Nov 16, 2012
  15. Awesomo 3000

Awesomo 3000 Banned

Seriously, dude...?

Your rebuttal to "but almost all of the top quarterbacks do it too", is "here's jamarcus russel's stats!"...

Your "rebuttal" is so nonsensical it doesn't even merit a response.

Yet here I am.....

16. Concerned_Citizen

Yet you have no response, just more dodging.

White flag accepted. see ya next time.

In the mean time, chew on this one for awhile.

[youtube]vTFhkHK6t1A[/youtube]

#96 Concerned_Citizen, Nov 16, 2012
  17. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Fixed it for you.

And since this thread is about throwing mechanics, we can't go by without the "expert" film analyst Greg Cosell on Jamarcus Russell:

18. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

reading this thread, u almost get the feeling that Tebow detractors are as fanatical as his fans

what is it about this guy that gets you folks going so hard?

19. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Cue broken record recording:

They think Tebow is fine as a person. But they hate anyone who likes him.

But they are doing the world a great service by holding fans of Tebow in check. It is necessary for them to heroically right the wrongs posted by Tebow's fans. No, they're not stoking an argument at all -- their work is a selfless, sacrificial work.

[​IMG]

20. phaytal

phaytal New Member

You sure about that? Russell averaged 17 points per game. Tebow averaged 18. That is pretty much a wash. I'd ask you to guess why there was such a disparity in the win/loss column, but you already know.

That's right... the defense.