Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow (merged several times)

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by RocklandJetsFan17, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Do you agree with the Jets in trading for Tebow?

1. Yes

277 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

379 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think one of the reasons the Jets ran so few WC plays in 2011 is that they let their 2 best blocking receivers, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, go via Free Agency. Plaxico Burress was a decent to fair blocker but he was also a slacking piece of dog crap so he was less than effective. Santonio Holmes is like a string bean, he can't block anybody. Chaz Schillenzzzzz is a china doll. Kerley is undersized and Turner is likewise a pretty skinny guy who struggles with leverage.

The Jets don't currently have the personnel to run that play.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Simple solution to that is to line the WRs up wide and send them all up the field on verticals. You don't have to block people to get them out of the play, you just need to move them out of position.

With 4 wides, that moves 4 defenders down the field leaving 7. Coincidentally, you still have 7 offensive players around the LoS.

Blocking by the Oline is the key as not every defender even needs to be blocked. Backside of the defense can be influenced or sealed off.

If you want, go look at Denver's 2 pt conversion against Miami and you can see and example. Guards or Tackles can pull, or, slip through and get a block on the LB.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That only works with man coverage and even then only with bad defensive backs. There has to be a stay home audible if the QB is reading zone coverage and to do that you have to have receivers that can block at the LOS.

4. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

As a Patriots fan, I hope you're 100% correct. Because the NFL will eat this alive by Halloween. You can't survive long-term running a gimmick offense. It just doesn't work.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

We've done pretty well for the most part with Sanchez and no Tebow, so adding a weapon to the mix I think will help. Think of a jacked up Brad Smith who can run you over and has more ability to pass.

6. Demosthenes9

Somewhat yes to the man2man coverage, and no to the bad defensive backs. If' it's man, then it doesn't matter how good the DBs are, they have to stay with the receivers and their backs will be turned to the line. Or, they'll be 10/20 yards downfield giving a cushion. It's one of the other. No DB can line up 4 yards off the LoS and backpedal 20 yards down the field trying to cover a WR.

If it's zone, the DBs still have to be back there covering their areas. Sending 4 verticals moves them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they will be completely off the field and can't possibly get in on the play. But if they are 20 yards down field, and they eventually make the tackle, that's still a successful play.

With all that out of the way, if the WC is actually Spread/Option, and if the coaches actually know what they are doing, then all plays will have both a run and pass option. QB reads the D when lining up and decides which play to run.

7. Demosthenes9

And no, they won't, unless the Jet's coaches are idiots like McCoy was.

8. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Do you see the irony in what you posted in first few sentences and what some people say about a first year , 24 year old starter named Tebow ?

I agree with everything you said though , good post.

9. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Tebow played fairly well in the first half of the regular season Patriots-Broncos game last year. But once Belichick got a little game film and some time to game plan against it, it became obvious why the spread option offense has never worked at the NFL level. The playoff game should have been proof of that. Stay in position, tackle well, and don't try to be a hero... basically that's how you stop it.

I've never really been that down on Sanchez... I don't think he's been great all the time, obviously, but I don't think he's been nearly as bad as some NFL (and Jets) fans do. The strengths of the Jets (running game, defense) dropped off last season from what I saw, and Sanchez got overwhelmed at times. I still think he's going to be a solid NFL starter once he gains some experience and confidence. More of a headcase than a lost cause.

10. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

The database has been around since 1992 (the one they are pulling their info from but i could be wrong ).

I already agreed with Br4dw4y5ux, so no use debating this anymore but Gabbert had the 5th worst season since 1992 (again I could be wrong but that's how I see it) .

11. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

They won't... what? Eat it alive? Not sure what you're saying here.

12. Demosthenes9

Ummm, not really. They stopped it by switching up and running a 5-2 defense with their "ends" being lined up in 3tech and 5tech.

McCoy either never noticed/figured it out, or, due to his lack of knowledge of read/option and spread/option, didn't know how to attack it.

13. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Hey dude.. were you a Broncos fan last season??? Why switch? Broncos are looking pretty good this season man....

14. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Not a true 5-2, based on personnel.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/patriots-defensive-game-plan-execution-stifles-tim-tebow-broncos-offense.html

McCoy may have known how to attack it but he also knew his quarterback couldn't consistently make the throws needed to do it.

The Broncos did a nice job of capitalizing on a short field after the Brady INT, but after that, they gained 29 yards on their next 22 plays going into the half.

And as any Jets fan will tell you... the Patriots' defense last year was pretty awful for the most part.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't want the Jets shuffling QB's. hopefully Tebow is used as a weapon for the offense in conjunction with Sanchez, not replacing him on the field. if Sanchez needs plays off to refocus the Jets have a big problem.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Hell, just to be a good sport I hope the first time Tebow goes out there he throws a pick or something just to get people off of Sanchez's back. If he goes out and has a huge scoring play then people are going to be calling for Sanchez's head on game one if not during the pre-season.

Mostly joking there because I do have faith in Sanchez but, really, if Tebow wins the starting job by out performing Sanchez then we still win in that scenario as now we have a better starting QB. You can gripe about Sanchez's contract and whatever but ultimately the goal is to win football games and it doesn't matter who gets paid what, if we win more football games with Tebow then fans should be happy. I couldn't care less who we had under centre as long as they are helping us win games.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If Tebow wins the starting job we need a new GM. You can't have a bust at 6 and trade up for a bust at 5 the following year.

18. Demosthenes9

5 guys lined up on the LoS for damned near every play, is a 5-2 defense :)

I'll have to go back and watch the first game against the Pat's and take another look, cause I don't recall them using the same alignment. I could have sworn that they basically stayed with a 3-4, it's just that they moved their tackles out wider.

And no, McCoy didn't know how to attack it.

19. Demosthenes9

I don't know. I mean, I've seen Sanchez playing remarkably well and I've also seen him get down and the dumps and a bad play kind of triggers a slide, you know, one mistake leading to another and another.

What comes to mind right now is basketball. A team is up, they they start doing stupid things and it gets kind of compounded. All of a sudden, the other team has gone on a 10-0 run. What do coaches do ? They call time out and give the players a chance to regroup. And yeah, they might send in substitutions.

If Rex can figure out how to get the "good" Sanchez on the field and bring the "bad" Sanchez off the field now and then and let him get his wits about him, that won't be a bad thing.

Might be a pipe dream, but, I think it has to be in their minds.

20. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

More of a wrinkle to their base 3-4, but it's all semantics. :)

Check the link, it's actually a good recap of the difference between the two games.

I'm not giving you a hard time on purpose here... I just don't think the offense that Denver ran under Tebow will work consistently in the NFL.