Tank RB's now essential?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Looks like he'd bail LeFleur out on those many gut-runs he's so fond of calling. Certainly no need for 2yd QB sneaks. Kid does fit the bill as a Tank RB. I wonder if he has a set of hands to go with all that power.

#21 Cman68, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Projected 5th round pick, hell, what have you got to lose with a 5th, we just chucked one of those away for a shit old QB, his legs and body will certainly be fresh, 2 years at RB 12 carries, then as you say switched to LB and then back with a bang at RB last season.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2022/abram-smith

I'd be interested.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

NC,

Did you watch the 49er’s playoff game against the Cowboys? Plenty of runs between the tackles.

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The 5th

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I didn't. I hate the Cowboys, and their games have been televised so much since the '60s that I refuse to watch them.

Thanks for the info. The runs between the tackles don't surprise me so much, however. They were run by faster RBs, not plodders, right? I remember 2-3 years when Mostert had that amazing year and was killing everyone. Most of his runs were between the tackles.

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The 49ers did pay their FB a ton of money… maybe the highest paid FB in the league.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Yes they did. That's not saying a whole lot, however, because not that many teams even have FBs, and the salaries of those FBs is not very high. Patrick Ricard of the Ravens, the top FA FB according to Spotrac, earned $3,651,084 this past season.

Juszczyk is perfect for the Niner offense. I'm hoping that we can find and develop a FB similar to that.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

OMG nothing would help Zack more than a #1 running game with a top 5 oline. Nothing. If JD can figure out the right side of the line, maybe moving Mechi to RT and signing/drafting a top RG, look out. Teams won't know what hit them.

Watch this top 10 carries (last one is the best) and tell me a RB like Chris Ivory running between the hash marks with Michael Carter running everywhere else wouldn't give Zack a real chance to be great! I know it's a pain watching on YouTube but it's worth it....give it a quick look NOW DAMMIT!

(I always loved the way his hair would explode whenever he took on contact!)

Maybe that Conner guy from the Cardnials? DOIT JD....DOIT!!!

K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Then why do we have Ty Johnson, Coleman, and Perrine on the roster? Also, we have a crap offensive line. You could have Jim Brown, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders, and John Riggins in their heyday back there and they would look like scrubs. Douglas was supposed to be the OLine GM guy he has failed miserably getting that part of the team up and running. He will probably take a huge swing at fixing again this offseason just hope he can do better.

11. NCJetsfan

We have them on the roster because there isn't enough time, cap space and draft picks to replace every single player. We do not have a crap offensive line. Yes, it took them a while to gel at the beginning of the season and they played like crap early, but then they gelled and the only problem was at RG. Then JD got LDT and line stabilized until injuries knocked out Moses for a while, then McGovern and Fant for the end of the season. No team has a good 3rd string OL, and that's what we were playing at the end of the season.

Guy, you couldn't be more wrong. Either do some research or put the bottle down.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I hope the Jets monitor what the Browns do with RFA D’Ernest Johnson. He bounces off first contact well at the second level, is a capable receiver and has experience in a similar one cut system. The Browns already have money/resources tied up into Chubb and Kareem Hunt returning so they might give him a low tender. Undrafted so I’m not sure how the OG round tender thing works.

The Browns only have $28 million in cap space next year and are 6th in the league in the NFL in terms of running back salaries.

He’d be a nice addition as a 1-2 punch for Carter.

PJ4Ever and K'OB like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they can give him an original round tender given he was undrafted. They can give him a 1st or 2nd round tender.

Here's a link to the tenders for last FA. https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like it. He has some power in those legs and D'Ernest should play for the Jets like D'Brickashaw did

PJ4Ever likes this.
  15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Per Over The Cap, the projected cost of the low tender for a RFA is $2.433 million (no and $3.986 million for the middle tender (2nd round pick compensation).

Also worth noting, if the Browns cut or trade Kareem Hunt, there's is zero dead money and a $6.25 million cap savings.

apjbfc and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow NOW were talking!

17. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

So for next season we need 3 backs in a weekly rotation and I bet on average this scheme would love to get the RBs 30 touches a games.

Carter 15
    RB 2 - 10
    RB 3 - 5

Spreading the touches is one thing that saw our run game become very very good at the back end of the season.

Coleman did very well last season as an RB2/3
    Johnson underwhelmed as we were hoping for a jump from the previous year.
    Austin Walter did bits in one game.

I get that a brusier would help, but someone to help close a game in the second half is what we need. Someone that can fall forwards 2 yards on contact and wear a D, where we can then Gash with Carter.

A bit like how GB rotate their backs.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

POTD